Skip Bayless comment regarding Jason Garrett

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No they haven't. We still see the same vanilla scheme on both sides of the ball. We are still as predictable as ever with our play calls whether that be run and pass and with formations. Run on every first down. No play actions and shots down field on first when teams are expecting a run. 3rd and 2 last week trying to run on Seattle's front I mean seriously? The excuses have to end. As bad as the quarterbacks have been we still should of won the last three games. The same route that keeps getting picked off and defenders sit and we keep calling that. That's on the coach. Starting Joseph Randle when it's clear he wasn't the answer instead of McFadden that's on Garrett. A flagrant lack of crossing routes, slants, and pick plays that's on Garrett.

I said in another thread that the Cowboys offense has been predictable since the 90s. I remember Ray Lewis and others saying that they knew what the Cowboys were going to do before they snapped the ball. This was a constant refrain from opponents. And when opponents feel they can state it publicly, that's the highest form of disrespect. They're basically not even worried about bulletin board material.

I think this is a huge indictment against the Cowboys and Garrett that teams have been able to go into the half, figure us out and then beat us in the second half. :(

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I wonder if tweets like Skip's ever reach JG's radar. Or are there little PR people running around making sure the fires don't reach certain radars.

Zman5

Reaction score
Problem with JG is he is all about out executing the opponent. The problem with that philosophy is that other teams players get paid to play too. And some teams even have better roster than us.

That will only work when we have better players at key positions. When these players are not playing or playing well, we have no advantage. This is what we are seeing this year.

Venger

Reaction score
He's a Stepford coach who just keeps clapping encouragement.

Direct hit.

torpedo_testing_04.jpg

ccb04

Reaction score
Losing these close games is very frustrating...and the stats about the D in the 4th quarter is disconcerting. That said, a major factor is turnover margin. Regardless of what one might think about Red and his staff, they certainly preach protecting the ball and forcing turnovers...both of which ultimately fall on the players on the field. Despite what Skippy tweets, I don't think the players or coaches are comfortable with losing period, particularly close games in the fashion they've lost some in. This team has continued to play hard & remain competitive if nothing else.

Several players have underperformed this year...despite playing in the same scheme the previous season. As I mentioned in another thread, Marinelli's last two DC gigs were the 2012 Bears & the 2014 Boys. The 2012 Bears finished with a league-leading 44 takeaways, were 3rd in points allowed, and finished top 10 in sacks & vs. the run. The 2014 Cowboys had 31 takeaways (2nd in the NFL), and finished 8th vs. the run. The pass rush was the problem last season...so they added guys like Hardy & Gregory. But again, some players have simply underperformed.

They've also tried making changes, to include: starting Jones, replacing Leary with Collins, replacing Patmon with White and then going back to Patmon, releasing Randle & going with primarily one back in McFadden, replacing Weeden with Cassel, etc.

It's not just Romo they've played without. They've also been without Scandrick, Dunbar, T. McClain, etc...and a host of other players at various points. But with Romo, I'd say this team is 7-1 or 6-2 despite the other deficiencies. Look at the difference Newton's play & a very solid defense has made in Carolina...despite missing Kelvin Benjamin. Flip that around, and even Aaron Rodgers hasn't been able to cover up for the Packers deficiencies in the last 2 games, one in which he was held to under 100 yards passing & the other where he threw the game-deciding Int. after coming back. Being short Nelson has shown up as well. Add in teams like the Eagles, Lions, etc...who have been relatively healthy, but have fallen well short of some predicted expectations.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I wonder if tweets like Skip's ever reach JG's radar. Or are there little PR people running around making sure the fires don't reach certain radars.

I'm guessing some of this reaches him. He didn't seem to be his usual clappy self this last game, I'm sure he's been hearing the talk from somewhere.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
There seems to be a trend with JG led teams. They start out games strong, then other teams make adjustments and start to take over games late.

I have never seen a team give up so many leads in my life.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToLe15_-V8-aHna2Da5iNoX8ebmUCPxQWzThb30X7SxbUf_YFM
7221.jpg

mugsybows

Reaction score
Wow... Skip tweeted this yesterday.

Anything to discuss?

i used to strongly believe that too, especially when we kept going 8-8 and losing close games and youd see the guys really eager to start schmoozing with the other teams and laughing right after a heart breaking loss. now i think the majority of this team is really distraught when they lose a game. Ben Rodgers and a bunch of reporters said after this loss it was as weird and silent as theyve ever seen an NFL locker room. i do think they care about these losses.

i will say i agree with his second thought and garrett is very much a stepford clap happy coach that adds nothing, hes always been that. just when we were winning last year it was ok because winning cures all.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'm guessing some of this reaches him. He didn't seem to be his usual clappy self this last game, I'm sure he's been hearing the talk from somewhere.

He has always been a bit reactionary to what he perceives and it would not shock me at all.

Does anyone have any stats on his clapping ratio for the last game?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Listen, when the great Bill Parcells came here he talked extensively about changing the culture. Losing was acceptable. Everyone was comfortable. This is not because of the head coach. It's because the owner has his hands on every aspect of the organization. That wasn't going to happen with Big Bill and that is why Jerry said he had to "walk on egg shells" with Parcells. Walk on egg shells means act sane, to anybody confused.

Jerry was uncomfortable with Jimmy. He was uncomfortable with Parcells. He was very comfortable with Switzer, Gailey, Campo, Wade and now Garrett.

If that doesn't tell you all you need to know, no offense, but you are clueless as a Cowboys fan.

And the Tuna told you this was going to happen on his way out the door - Before long, you won't even know I was here.

Quit making villains out of spare parts and know your enemy.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Before long, you won't even know I was here.

Wow. Just wow. Boy.. Was he ever right...

I like JG but his style is very "basic". It's almost as if he's still in training. Kimberly "Sweet Brown" Wilkins can finish this for me.

cml750

Reaction score
I don't always agree with Skip but when he is right you have to. Also, to the ones saying the 8-8 seasons would have been worse without Romo, while you are 100% right, don't forget that Garrett cost us at least two games a season with beyond idiotic game / clock management. We were 8-8 with Romo winning a few we should have lost but would have been at least 10-6 if we had a real coach.