Texas vs Nebraska

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Biggems;3118855 said:
wrong.....Vince is nowhere near the QB Colt is. Vince, however, is a far superior athlete than Colt......plus, Vince had a better OL and running game than Colt.

Colt has better receivers and a better defense.
Vince was the better qb. Colt is a better passer than Vince though, but passing isn't everything for a qb in college. Vince was a huge threat.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Cover 2;3118967 said:
Vince was the better qb. Colt is a better passer than Vince though, but passing isn't everything for a qb in college. Vince was a huge threat.

3rd and longs and he completes them over and over and over and breaks your heart.

He's also doing "it" again.

Good for Vince.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Biggems;3118954 said:
Texas doesnt commit to the run, cause of Greg Davis and that sissy OL. The DL for Nebraska made it very difficult for Colt to get into a rhythm. Colt didn't choke. He just didn't play well cause of the excellent play by the Husker D.
Are you saying Texas doesn't deserve to be in the title game because a lower ranked team gave them problems? :muttley:

Point blank, Texas should have crushed Nebraska. As a primarly TCU fan, but the Longhorns being #2 I wouldn't have questioned Texas' claim to the title game if it wouldn't have came down to 1 second in the game and an extreme screw up by Nebraska (kicking the ball out of bounds)
ScipioCowboy;3118958 said:
Colt McCoy found a way to win despite a myriad of obstacles. That's the very antithesis of a "choker." Furthermore, only one of the INTs was Colt's fault.

And you're more a bitter TCU fan than a Longhorn fan.:D

I will say this. Colt is a good college QB, but I wouldn't draft him high in the NFL. I don't think he is going to be a good NFL QB. Personally, I think he lacks the dominating QB demeanor. I'm not sure Tebow is that great though, I think he is better than McCoy.

Alabama QB Greg McElroy is extremely talented, but that guy is an injury waiting to happen. He is extremely reckless with his body. So much talent, yet so reckless. The kid could in my opinion have a better future than either Tebow or McCoy, but it's just not going to happen with the way he plays.

I will say this though. If I though the Horns had a better chance than TCU to win a championship, I would want Texas to go. I just don't believe that. TCU's defense IS better than Texas. TCU also has a better running game than Texas. Dalton is a better QB. Shipley is the best receiver, but Dalton can get it to more weapons than McCoy.

I love Texas, but the Horn Frog's are a better choice for the title game.

StylisticS

Reaction score
this Nebraska team was only 4 points away from being 11-1. They should have won the Iowa State and Virginia Tech game. Texas played what maybe the best defense in the nation. If not, they did play the most dominating defensive player in the nation. A great defense will not let their team get blown out, period.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
nyc;3118977 said:
Are you saying Texas doesn't deserve to be in the title game because a lower ranked team gave them problems? :muttley:

Point blank, Texas should have crushed Nebraska. As a primarly TCU fan, but the Longhorns being #2 I wouldn't have questioned Texas' claim to the title game if it wouldn't have came down to 1 second in the game and an extreme screw up by Nebraska (kicking the ball out of bounds)

I will say this. Colt is a good college QB, but I wouldn't draft him high in the NFL. I don't think he is going to be a good NFL QB. Personally, I think he lacks the dominating QB demeanor. I'm not sure Tebow is that great though, I think he is better than McCoy.

Alabama QB Greg McElroy is extremely talented, but that guy is an injury waiting to happen. He is extremely reckless with his body. So much talent, yet so reckless. The kid could in my opinion have a better future than either Tebow or McCoy, but it's just not going to happen with the way he plays.

I will say this though. If I though the Horns had a better chance than TCU to win a championship, I would want Texas to go. I just don't believe that. TCU's defense IS better than Texas. TCU also has a better running game than Texas. Dalton is a better QB. Shipley is the best receiver, but Dalton can get it to more weapons than McCoy.

Texas deserves to be in the title game cause of their complete body of work. They earned it. Nebraska might be offensively inept, but they are so dominant defensively, that they are in pretty much every single game.

Like I said earlier, they choked away wins against Va Tech and Iowa St. If they win those games, they are probably a top 10 team. At least Nebraska was ranked. Florida barely escaped against unranked Arkansas and Miss St. Bama struggled against some much lower ranked opponents as well.

I get the matchup I wanted last year....UT vs Bama for the Championship. However, a big part of me wishes it was UT vs TCU....

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
StylisticS;3118985 said:
this Nebraska team was only 4 points away from being 11-1. They should have won the Iowa State and Virginia Tech game. Texas played what maybe the best defense in the nation. If not, they did play the most dominating defensive player in the nation. A great defense will not let their team get blown out, period.

exactly

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
nyc;3118977 said:

The quality of the TCU football team has no bearing on whether or not Colt can be labeled a "choker."

TCU may be better than Texas for the all the hypothetical reasons you've listed. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Biggems;3118949 said:
i wasnt arguing about the Heisman, I know he lost that tonight. Suh might have put himself on a plane to NY.

I am arguing that Colt isnt a franchise QB. I think he can be, especially for a team that runs the WCO or spread offense. He just had a rough game against a great defense...it happens to a lot of great QBs.

The Heisman will go to Ingram, though IMO, Gerhart or Suh should win it.

I am hoping Ingram wins it and Colt comes in second.....the last time a Longhorn came in 2nd in the Heisman and played for the National Championship against the Heisman winner, the Horns won.....BTW, that game was also played in Pasadena.

I just dont see him as a franchise type QB and I dont think he will be drafted in the 1st round. I see Tebow the same way, I dont think he is a franchise QB or will be drafted in the 1st round either.

If you think otherwise, I respect that. Now going out and beating Alabama will defiently increase the stock of Colt, kinda like Vince Young's stock was increased by beating USC. I dont think anybody thought Young was going to be a top 3 pick going into that game.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;3118995 said:
I just dont see him as a franchise type QB and I dont think he will be drafted in the 1st round. I see Tebow the same way, I dont think he is a franchise QB or will be drafted in the 1st round either.

If you think otherwise, I respect that. Now going out and beating Alabama will defiently increase the stock of Colt, kinda like Vince Young's stock was increased by beating USC. I dont think anybody thought Young was going to be a top 3 pick going into that game.

So you cant see Colt effectively running the West Coast Offense?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Biggems;3119000 said:
So you cant see Colt effectively running the West Coast Offense?

He could run a WCO, especially if he gets time to sit and learn and is not thrown to the wolves immediately.

Do you see him as a 1st round pick????

Question for yall UT fans......what if the Commanders draft him:eek: :eek: :eek:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3118917 said:
This Alabama team is nowhere near as talented as the 2005 USC squad, whom ESPN deemed "the greatest team in the history of college football" prior to the championship game.

Guess the Horns haters aren't considering that Alabama is a heavily run-oriented offense (they're 13th in rush offense, 89th in pass offense), while Texas has the nation's top run defense... IOW, their offensive strengths are going right into the teeth of the Horns' defensive strengths...

Think about that... I'm predicting a close, low-scoring game (because Alabama has a good enough defense to make life tought for Texas, too)...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;3118937 said:
I watched every play of the game and the fact of the matter is that Colt had a 3 pick game. Now you can say it was due to pressure or you can say it was the reciever's fault all you want..........doesnt change Colt's stat line.

The fact of the matter is that in Conference Championship Games, you have to impress if you are a Heisman hopefull.

So, I guess you'll just ignore Ingram's 16 carry, 32 yard effort against Auburn LAST week...

To win a Heisman you have to make plays, not excuses.

16 carries, 32 yards on national TV... the same week that McCoy put up 475 yards of total offense, again on national TV...

Don't be surprised if the RB from Stanford winds up winning the Heisman...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
1: Suh is the best player in the country and it isnt close. That guy is beyond incredible. He'll be as sure a pick in the draft as there has ever been.

2: Nebraska's offense is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. I know Texas has a good defense, but 106 yards of TOTAL offense in a conference title game? The A&M game must have really pissed Texas' defense off.

3: Once again, every single significant break went Texas' way. Call it skill if you want, but Texas backed into this win. Nebraska went full ****** in the final minute.

4: Neither Tebow nor McCoy has any business winning the Heisman. It'll likely go to Ingram, but I'd love to see Gerhart win it. I really hate that the Heisman has turned into the award for being the best QB or RB on a top 3 team. Like I said earlier, if we're going by best player, Suh should win it.

5: Texas is going to get POUNDED by 'Bama unless they fix something over the next month. That offense has had trouble against competent defenses all year and they are about to face the best unit they have ever seen. 'Bama's offense won't rollover and play dead liek Nebraska's did.

6: This year is proof that we need a playoff system, because the best team in country may not reside in either Austin or Tuscaloosa, but in Fort Worth. I hate that TCU won't get a chance to prove themselves even after dismantling everything placed in their path this year. Cincy also deserves a shot IMO.

jimmy40

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3119028 said:
1: Suh is the best player in the country and it isnt close. That guy is beyond incredible. He'll be as sure a pick in the draft as there has ever been.

2: Nebraska's offense is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. I know Texas has a good defense, but 106 yards of TOTAL offense in a conference title game? The A&M game must have really pissed Texas' defense off.

3: Once again, every single significant break went Texas' way. Call it skill if you want, but Texas backed into this win. Nebraska went full ****** in the final minute.

4: Neither Tebow nor McCoy has any business winning the Heisman. It'll likely go to Ingram, but I'd love to see Gerhart win it. I really hate that the Heisman has turned into the award for being the best QB or RB on a top 3 team. Like I said earlier, if we're going by best player, Suh should win it.

5: Texas is going to get POUNDED by 'Bama unless they fix something over the next month. That offense has had trouble against competent defenses all year and they are about to face the best unit they have ever seen. 'Bama's offense won't rollover and play dead liek Nebraska's did.

6: This year is proof that we need a playoff system, because the best team in country may not reside in either Austin or Tuscaloosa, but in Fort Worth. I hate that TCU won't get a chance to prove themselves even after dismantling everything placed in their path this year. Cincy also deserves a shot IMO.

The Texags runs deep in this one.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
StylisticS;3118985 said:

Best defensive player in the nation I will give you. Best defense in the nation, is far more subjective. Either way, due to Nebraska's offensive ineptitude, I have no consideration for them as an opponent for Texas. For that reason alone, (the offensive ineptitude) Texas (if truly worthy) should have beat them by at least 10-14 points.

jimmy40

Reaction score
nyc;3119180 said:
Best defensive player in the nation I will give you. Best defense in the nation, is far more subjective. Either way, due to Nebraska's offensive ineptitude, I have no consideration for them as an opponent for Texas. For that reason alone, (the offensive ineptitude) Texas (if truly worthy) should have beat them by at least 10-14 points.
and Alabama (if truly worthy) should have beaten Tennessee by at least 10-14 points, and Auburn by at least 10-14 points. That's why they play the game.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Biggems;3118989 said:
Texas deserves to be in the title game cause of their complete body of work. They earned it.
How is Texas' body of work any different than that of TCU or say Boise State? (two of the three most impressive teams in the top 6)

It's not.

That said, I hope TCU lines up with either Florida or Boise State. I'm sure they would crush Cincy cause Cincy doesn't have a defense. The bowl guys will probably just give Florida's Tebow a parting gift by letting him end his collegiate career by throttling Cincy.

TCU vs Boise State in my opinion would be the best bowl match up that could happen. (probably even better than TCU vs Alabama, though obviously that is the match up I prefer!)

NickZepp

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3118917 said:
This Alabama team is nowhere near as talented as the 2005 USC squad, whom ESPN deemed "the greatest team in the history of college football" prior to the championship game.

Maybe not in the skill positions although USC didn't have a WR like Julio Jones and their running backs are really good too. The difference is that USCs line and no USC line under Carroll has ever really blown good teams away. Florida is a pretty physical team and they looked weak against Alabama yesterday. And Texas has played teams that like to spread the ball around all year long. Trying to prepare for Alabama is going to be tough for Texas especially because their running backs can't comare.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
jimmy40;3119196 said:
and Alabama (if truly worthy) should have beaten Tennessee by at least 10-14 points, and Auburn by at least 10-14 points. That's why they play the game.

Believe me, I'm not like the experts who all fawn all over Alabama. I see flaws in their game and they are definitely beatable.

I'm just not sure Texas can do it. Especially with McCoy. I this his confidence is shaken. I think he will go into this game playing not to lose.

Either way, I hope he proves me wrong. I'm AM a Longhorns fans and a big time Alabama hater. (well, not Alabama so much as a Nick "I'm an classless sorry *** person" Sabin

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
NickZepp;3119200 said:
Maybe not in the skill positions although USC didn't have a WR like Julio Jones and their running backs are really good too. The difference is that USCs line and no USC line under Carroll has ever really blown good teams away. Florida is a pretty physical team and they looked weak against Alabama yesterday. And Texas has played teams that like to spread the ball around all year long. Trying to prepare for Alabama is going to be tough for Texas especially because their running backs can't comare.

Which is why TCU is a better match up for Alabama. They are faster and more destructive at the line of scrimmage than what Texas puts on the field.