The Outlier QB vs A 1st Round QB Working Out

Blackrain

Reaction score
Trey has already busted.
I respect your opinion brother.
Kind of sucks that we wasted a fourth round pick on him.

I still think if Dak won't take a team friendly deal and expects us to pay him like 60 million I would have to play that young fella and if he fails which seems likely we still win by getting a high draft pick where we can get a quarterback high in the first round

kskboys

Reaction score

I still think if Dak won't take a team friendly deal and expects us to pay him like 60 million I would have to play that young fella and if he fails which seems likely we still win by getting a high draft pick where we can get a quarterback high in the first round
I also have hopes that he will pan out, but no way would I base our future on it. There are rare circumstances where a player busts w/ one franchise but then makes it w/ another. They are rare, though, and I just hope Jerry isn't so foolish as to base our future on it.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

I watched Cooper Rush go 5-1.

I think saying Lance failing is likely is kind of jumping the gun a bit.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
In February 2024, 49ers owner Jed York told reporters that Kyle Shanahan told him that Brock Purdy was the 49ers' best quarterback before the 2022 season. So I guess, once he saw Purdy he didn't have time for anyone else.

kskboys

Reaction score
Then Dak came back and the defense magically started to suck and it had nothing to do with Dak throwing enough INTs to lead the NFL despite missing 5 games.
It was freaky how the D played so much better before he came back.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I also have hopes that he will pan out, but no way would I base our future on it. There are rare circumstances where a player busts w/ one franchise but then makes it w/ another. They are rare, though, and I just hope Jerry isn't so foolish as to base our future on it.
Yep it's rare Jim plunkett pops into my mind but that was a long time ago.

If Dak wants an amount of money that precludes us from adding talent our future still looks dim in my opinion.
If we could get rid of 60 million off the cap that buys a good bit of talent along with a good draft.

If Lance tanks then we draft our quarterback of the future.
But in all honesty if we run it back with the same group and don't add some game changing talent I feel we're lucky to make the playoffs.

and by that I mean these trenches have to be fixed they're a mess and that offensive line is another year older having already been on borrowed time

Blackrain

Reaction score
I watched Cooper Rush go 5-1.

I think saying Lance failing is likely is kind of jumping the gun a bit.
I'll say this if we can get rid of a couple of these big salaries and Stoke that offensive line like it was in 16 with Fred Tyron and Zack it gives him better than a puncher's chance.

If this offensive line doesn't improve and we don't get a running game I think any quarterback will struggle

Blackrain

Reaction score
Absolutely. He should've already played more last season. Playing Rush in trash time over Lance was beyond stupid.
Agreed we totally know what we have in Rush Lance should have been put in early in some of those blowout games.

But you know everybody wants to get their stats because that's their bargaining chip to get paid it's a big circle

kskboys

Reaction score
Yep it's rare Jim plunkett pops into my mind but that was a long time ago.

If Dak wants an amount of money that precludes us from adding talent our future still looks dim in my opinion.
If we could get rid of 60 million off the cap that buys a good bit of talent along with a good draft.

If Lance tanks then we draft our quarterback of the future.
But in all honesty if we run it back with the same group and don't add some game changing talent I feel we're lucky to make the playoffs.

and by that I mean these trenches have to be fixed they're a mess and that offensive line is another year older having already been on borrowed time
Good stuff.

Frankly, that's prolly the best course of action. Let Dak play out his contract(I would trade him, but that's unlikely to happen w/ Jerry in charge), and then simply throw Lance into the fire in 25, maybe bring in a mid round rook to compete.

Proof

Reaction score
I feel like Tom Brady really skews the numbers in trying to find predictive stats for when/how a qb makes it. he just won too much and concentrated the sample size to the point it's hard (imo) to really draw any meaninful data.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The 1st rounder we are coveting is already on the team....Trey Aloysious Lance.

....."and a child shall lead them"
and he sucks, based on evidence to date....this ain't the yellow brick road and clicking your heels three times ain't going to send you back to kansas.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Most elite QBs historically have been drafted in the first round, just like a majority of elite players at EVERY position. But it’s also true the overwhelming majority of first round QBs are busts.

Conceding being horrible for a few years on the hope that you find one of the ones that isn’t a bust is a tough sell to a fanbase. And some franchises that try this end up stuck there for literally decades.
majority of the elite players get drafted in the top 10, specially in QB position. of the list of QBs in OPs post, all but two are top 10 picks. the other two being Love and Jackson. neither has actually accomplished anything. Jackson continues to fail. 2-4 in the playoffs. Love has only had one good year, so he is the flavor of the month. I remember last year Jones from NE was rated a top 10 QB by many...