Tony Pauline on Dan Quinn’s future

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Why?

Their QB/Offense isnt the problem
Well for one thing... Yes it is. They've scored 17, 17, 20, 10 in their last 4 losses and just scored 6 points.

For another, hiring a defensive coach when you have a prolific passer is stupid because it means, when you have the most success, you can't have any continuity. LAC has crippled Herbert's development by saddling him with middling OCs and constant OC shuffling.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
what if there's not near as quality HC's on offensive side as there are the defensive type side ?

what if you're passing up a Demeco Ryan (Houston) trying to get a Nathaniel Hackett (OC Jets) just for
the sake of your QB ?
Ryan was a bad hire, because they're going to lose Slowik and then make their prolific young QB start with a new OC.

Good HCs are just good offensive minds. Go right down the list of the top 10 teams and pretty much every HC is either the OC or has an OC that they're about to lose. I think Harbaugh is the only one who doesn't fit that mold.

conner01

Reaction score
MM > DQ as a head coach.
That’s the way I feel. Just like bill bellicheck is a better HC than a GM. DQ is a really good DC but it’s hard for anyone to accept that they are better at being the supporting cast and not the lead

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Well for one thing... Yes it is. They've scored 17, 17, 20, 10 in their last 4 losses and just scored 6 points.

For another, hiring a defensive coach when you have a prolific passer is stupid because it means, when you have the most success, you can't have any continuity. LAC has crippled Herbert's development by saddling him with middling OCs and constant OC shuffling.
They are 15th in yards and 11th in points with one receiver and a rb with a poor OL

They are 29th in yards allowed and 20th in points allowed with Joey Bosa, Derwin James, Khalil Mack, and Asante Samuel Jr on their defense.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They are 15th in yards and 11th in points with one receiver and a rb with a poor OL

They are 29th in yards allowed and 20th in points allowed with Joey Bosa, Derwin James, Khalil Mack, and Asante Samuel Jr on their defense.
So in other words their defensive coach can't get all that defensive talent to play well, and the offense is also bad.

You're making my point.

Motorola

Reaction score
The first of at least 3 dozen reports about this topic that will appear in the Fan Zone as the month goes along and the regular season winds down.
Conjectures and speculations will continue to pop up for our reading enjoyment - or not.

Mark

Reaction score
....this came up last year. They aint going anywhere.

MM and DQ know they got something brewing in Arlington.

Real close to busting it wide open.
This team might be a year away from competing with the Niners, on the defensive side.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
So in other words their defensive coach can't get all that defensive talent to play well, and the offense is also bad.

You're making my point.
No. Get a better defensive coach.

The offense has an excuse as they are playing with one real WR. Their second leading receiver is Ekeler and he has played in only 9 games.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
No. Get a better defensive coach.

The offense has an excuse as they are playing with one real WR. Their second leading receiver is Ekeler and he has played in only 9 games.
Yes, to be your DC.

You hire an offensive coach so that you can have continuity on that side of the ball. You're talking about a scenario in which the new HC brings in a new OC, that OC is successful and leaves, and then you need another one.

That would be what, 5 OCs in 6 years lol?

No team should ever hire a defensive HC. It does not work.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Absolutely no loss if he leaves. He’s exposed every time his unit faces a competent offense

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dan Quinn already said back in the Spring that he's not planning on going anywhere. He wants to stick around and help Mike McCarthy and this team of players win several Super Bowls. Mike McCarthy is not going anywhere either, and he shouldn't leave. He has proven to be a very good head coach for the Dallas Cowboys. It would be crazy to get rid of him or Dan Quinn.

It's just your average day wannabe writers trying to gain name notoriety by spewing nonsense.

Praxit

Reaction score
Dan Quinn already said back in the Spring that he's not planning on going anywhere. He wants to stick around and help Mike McCarthy and this team of players win several Super Bowls. Mike McCarthy is not going anywhere either, and he shouldn't leave. He has proven to be a very good head coach for the Dallas Cowboys. It would be crazy to get rid of him or Dan Quinn.

It's just your average day wannabe writers trying to gain name notoriety by spewing nonsense.
.>Bingo.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Ryan was a bad hire, because they're going to lose Slowik and then make their prolific young QB start with a new OC.

Good HCs are just good offensive minds. Go right down the list of the top 10 teams and pretty much every HC is either the OC or has an OC that they're about to lose. I think Harbaugh is the only one who doesn't fit that mold.
Why can't they just promote from within?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
If Quinn leaves I could see Al Harris taking over as DC.
100%. He's either this team's DC next year or someone else's.

My ONLY concern is that given he was a player for McCarthy he may be over deferential, but the guy has done a great job with the secondary.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Tony Pauline

Another poor guy who has to write sensless stuff on asocial media.

I hope he secured a place under the bridge because when X will go off in a few weeks there will be a lot of purpulent pickles of turbo capitalism looking for new places to sleep.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Why can't they just promote from within?
They can. But it doesn't mean they'll have the same rhythm/playcalling feel, and every coach wants to put their own flavor on an offense. OCs aren't 1-1 replacements regardless of the system. It's not like MM runs a much different system than Moore, but the execution of it is very different.

They also don't have a great internal candidate.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If Jerry was to fire McCarthy to keep Quinn as HC, the results will be disappointing to say the least. I don't think Jerry is dumb enough to do it.