Ultimate Chris Palmer Conspiracy Thread***merged***

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
CowboyManDan said:

I don't know how true this article is but.....

Saints Hire Palmer As Offensive Coordinator
DallasCowboys.com Report
January 26, 2006 6:12 PM

IRVING, Texas - One day after the Cowboys interviewed Chris Palmer to replace the departed Sean Payton, the former Bill Parcells assistant coach accepted a similar position with, of all people, Payton and the New Orleans Saints.

Palmer will become Payton's offensive coordinator, meaning the Saints new head coach now has hired both coordinators, former Cowboys linebackers coach Garry Gibbs and now a guy the Cowboys were looking at to be intimately involved in the offense as Payton's replacement.

This is a rather interesting move since Palmer seemed to be a good fit in Dallas, where he would reunite with Parcells, quarterback Drew Bledsoe and offensive line coach/run-game coordinator Tony Sparano.

Palmer, who met with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones in Dallas on Wednesday morning, spent four years with Parcells in New England (1993-96), coaching wide receivers for three and then Bledsoe and the quarterbacks in 1996 when the Patriots advanced to Super Bowl XXXI. He also hired Sparano as one of his assistants after being named head coach in Cleveland (1999-2000).

But now Palmer is headed to New Orleans to join Payton, who spent the last three seasons on the Cowboys' staff. Payton was the assistant head coach/passing game coordinator last year and called the offensive plays.

Payton, named head coach in New Orleans last week, already had hired Gibbs as the Saints defensive coordinator, and was interested in bringing Sparano along before the Cowboys denied him permission to speak with the Cowboys' offensive line coach.

"By the weekend, I'd like to have both coordinators in place and a special teams coordinator in place," Payton said Wednesday. "I've got about seven more people I'm looking to interview."

Apparently, Palmer was the best option for the Saints, and consequently, no longer an option for the Cowboys, if indeed they were interested in hiring him following the mid-week interview.

mbanx

Reaction score
Well I guess your way is easier I could not find it originally when I went directly to DC.com. I know Parcells knows more football than this whole board thinks they know, my only concern is maybe he thinks he can do this by himself, I hope he still has a rabbit in his hat.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hoax?

Not at DC.com and you can't drill into any links on that story.

Good work

50cent

Reaction score
Dale said:
I guess we're just seeing this from two totally different ends. In my opinion, anything said about possible hirings by anyone is going to be speculation until the hiring occurs.

Mickey, as you said, made a bold prediction. He wasn't reporting news because, at the time, there was no news to report. "I've heard such and such," isn't news -- it's speculation. I'd imagine he made that prediction under the pretense that people realized he was giving his opinion -- albeit an educated one -- on the matter.

Palmer hadn't even interviewed when Mickey made that statement. How could he KNOW he would be hired, if the Cowboys didn't even know? He didn't, and wasn't saying he knew such information IMO. He was merely making a prediction.
I guess we are, but again you prove my point. Palmer hadn't interviewed when Mickey made the statement, which lead me to believe that Mickey knew something on the inside.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
It's on there. Click on the Witten story, and go to the "More News" at the bottom and the Palmer story is there on DC.com. For whatever reason, it's not on the front page yet, but is linked to the other articles within the site.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I am not going to say that Coach Parcells cannot do it, but I would think he would be better served to not spreading himself so thin. That cannot be good.

I read somewhere that he hasnt called plays since he was back in New England. I personally wouldnt mind seeing someone brought in to handle the Offense and Parcells devote more time to the Defense because he has alot more experience with it and can be a better teacher.

Again, I dont think any significant chances in the Offensive Playcalling come-about unless there is Personnel on the field the Big man trusts. Meaning, some changes would probably need to be made.

- Mike G.

mbanx

Reaction score
Anybody think Parcells thought he was not a good fit for him and steered him towards NO? I don't think that is to far fetched or maybe he is trying to sabotage Payton.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Dale said:
The fact Palmer, to date, has been the reported lone candidate to interview leads me to believe that, on our end, he WAS the man. Maybe he didn't like the idea of coming here? I guess we'll find out later tonight.

My guess is that Palmer wants to get back into a HC position and Bill was reluctant to say "yes you will call all the plays" - why? b/c Bill doesn't roll like that -- he's not going to make a promise to the coach until he sees how he meshes with the O.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Maybe there is Henning in the wings and Palmer Plan B?

Parcells not ready to extend firm offer or interview went poor?

Parcells: How about this. Run, Run, Pass. Then Run, Run, Screen Pass. The run, sack, draw!

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten said:
i don't think BP will hire some new guys.

BP has already hired BP as offensive coordinator. Anyone he names assistant HC will just be there to wipe his brow.

Pathetic. This should have ended this season.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
BP has already hired BP as offensive coordinator. Anyone he names assistant HC will just be there to wipe his brow.

Pathetic. This should have ended this season.

Clearly BP doesn't know anything about assistants. Just look at all the awful ones he hired in the past.

Folks are upset that we didn't get an out of work guy who hasn't had success since 1999?

Of course, if we got him it, folks would be bashing him for hiring a "crony"

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
abersonc said:
My guess is that Palmer wants to get back into a HC position and Bill was reluctant to say "yes you will call all the plays" - why? b/c Bill doesn't roll like that -- he's not going to make a promise to the coach until he sees how he meshes with the O.

Payton said at his news conference that he will call the plays. I doubt he will backtrack and give that job to Palmer.

ddh33

Reaction score
Yeah, I think folks need to hold off on the panic. These things usually have a way of working out.

Besides, no OC is going to change the look of this offense. This is still, and always will be, Bill's baby as long as he is here.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Chief said:
Payton said at his news conference that he will call the plays. I doubt he will backtrack and give that job to Palmer.

well, we know it wasn't money -- Benson is cheap cheap cheap. My guess is that if we wanted him, we'd have him if play calling wasn't an issue.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
abersonc said:
well, we know it wasn't money -- Benson is cheap cheap cheap. My guess is that if we wanted him, we'd have him if play calling wasn't an issue.

he isnt going to be calling plays in New Orleans either, Payton had already said so

Jones has always paid his assistants well (and this staff is one of the highest paid in football) so money wasnt it...I think its VERY likely that Palmer CHOSE not to come here

David

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Jones has always paid his assistants well (and this staff is one of the highest paid in football) so money wasnt it...I think its VERY likely that Palmer CHOSE not to come here

of course, BP may have interviewed him as a favor to help generate interest. BP's view on coaches is well respected -- a guy down on his luck like Palmer gets a widely reported interview in Dallas and other teams might think -- "hey Chris Palmer, we should give him a look"