Ultimate Chris Palmer Conspiracy Thread***merged***

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Unlike some people, I didn't have that much of an issue w/the offensive coaching.

I had no big issue with Payton. But unless we get someone close to his level of competence, I believe you will see a drop off. Mike Sheppard, for example, that would be a step down and it would be very apparent, very quick.

OL coach gets an incomplete. How effective could he be really with the guys out there?

I don't agree about Sparano. He was mediocre at best. He had his handicaps, but both he and Coach Parcells elected to go into the season walking a tightrope and wishing for the best. You just don't do that with something like the offensive line.

I put alot of the offensive issues on the actual players than I do the coaching. The play might be the right one called, but a receiver drops the ball, Bledsoe misfires, RB can't get out of the back field, OL whiffs a block. I just can't put all of that on the coaching.

No offense, but you are incorrect about the drops. We had one of the best WR corps in the league in terms of drops. Glenn, Johnson and Crayton were excellent. Our passing game was fine and I give much of that credit to Payton. Our running game failed and that falls in the lap of the offensive coach we kept onboard. I don't give free passes and the entire scheme was odd from the first carry of the season.

wileedog

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I believe you do have to have someone responsible. A head coach like Bill Parcells would be more effective on gameday if he did not have to worry about calling plays. There is this thing called delegation and that is a manager's best friend.

Parcells has called the offensive plays through most of his Pats stint, his whole Jets stint, and until last year with us. Its not really something new for him.

Besides, you do have to have someone responsible for that side of the football. If Coach Parcells won a championship without a coordinator designing and at least organizing things, then he would be special indeed.
I think he has always done the OC thing by committee - notice he rarely has an official Offensive Coordinator, he has a running game guy and a passing game guy. The media usually annoints one as 'the' guy, but I don't get the impression Bill views it that way.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
I had no big issue with Payton. But unless we get someone close to his level of competence, I believe you will see a drop off. Mike Sheppard, for example, that would be a step down and it would be very apparent, very quick.
I agree we need an OC close to Payton just to share in the offensive game preparation, but I just don't see it happening this year.

I don't agree about Sparano. He was mediocre at best. He had his handicaps, but both he and Coach Parcells elected to go into the season walking a tightrope and wishing for the best. You just don't do that with something like the offensive line.
Then we just disagree. Cuz in this sense I'd put the tightrope on Parcells more than Sparano. He chose the players. He went into the season with guys long on potential rather than current effectiveness. Sparano worked with what he was given. I'm not sure you can effectively evaluate him without taking that into acount. However if it continues into next year, then yeah I'd put alot more of the problems on Sparano.

No offense, but you are incorrect about the drops. We had one of the best WR corps in the league in terms of drops. Glenn, Johnson and Crayton were excellent. Our passing game was fine and I give much of that credit to Payton. Our running game failed and that falls in the lap of the offensive coach we kept onboard. I don't give free passes and the entire scheme was odd from the first carry of the season.
None taken. I'm not saying we had a bunch of drops. Nor do I think we had a bad passing game. I was speaking more on the timeliness of say a bad play here or there by a player all contributing to the effectiveness of a called play.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
From FoxSports.com

Reported Wednesday Evening Senior Bowl Notes

Former Houston Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer interviewed with the Dallas Cowboys on Tuesday for an offensive assistant position and according to a league source, Palmer is expected to interview for the offensive coordinator opening with the New Orleans Saints.

That said, even if Palmer doesn't go to NO. It's pretty clear he ISN'T coming here. I just think maybe Palmer and BP no longer share the same coaching philosophy. Been a long time since they've worked together.

Have I missed something here?? How is it pretty clear that he's NOT coming to Dallas?? Other than that article (thanks for posting the link), which is MORE specultation, I haven't heard a peep from anyone else one way or another. I think the talk just makes for more fodder for forums. I know the Jets are looking at Palmer, but it really doesn't shock me that he will or has interviewed with three teams (or more for that matter). I don't think the time frame is too relevant either. He interviewed in Dallas on Tuesday and today is Friday...that's just two days in between, so I really don't see what all the hoopla is about???:confused: I guess we'll know something for sure when it is announced as fact.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Alexander said:
This is very discouraging news.

Palmer was not special, but I shudder at the alternatives.

Evidently, some people think there are just hordes of great offensive coordinators who have coordinated Top 10 offenses in the NFL who are sitting around with no job, waiting for a phone call, who have knowledge of the offensive philosophy and are willing to step right into this particular situation.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
dragon_mikal said:
Lets hope Parcells finds someone who can not only take Payton's place...but actually do a better job.

Doesn't mean the OC will call plays though... BP will prob. call them again.

:laugh1:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dale said:
My thoughts exactly, Chief. Was there even any reported in Palmer from New Orleans?

It's definitely disturbing that, seemingly, Payton has already pulled a fast one on Parcells.

I can't imagine, with the pre-existing relationships on both sides (with Palmer, and with Payton) that the signing by NO happened without Bill and Jerry's knowlege. It's much more likely he left town without a deal b/c of a holdup in job responsibilities (ex, play calling), and went to NO as his next best option.

I refuse to believe Jerry Jones would have let Palmer leave town without a deal if we really wanted or needed him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I still believe the issue was the opportunity to develop a young QB. That's been Palmer's deal. He became a hot commodity b/c of his work with Bledsoe and Brunell. Then he cooled off after not developing Couch and Carr.

If you want to get yourself back in the running for a HC job -- or at least for higher paying OC jobs, you have to rehab your reputation as a QB guru. That isn't going to happen coaching Bledsoe -- he's a vet. But you develop Lienhart well and bingo, you are a HC candidate again.

Alexander

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I still believe the issue was the opportunity to develop a young QB.

We have a young QB that needs development? One is in Europe, the other has done nothing other than hold for kicks.

If Palmer was rejected (that is what you are saying, right)? It wasn't because of this issue. Coach Parcells is married to Bledsoe and there is not another candidate around that would work better with him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Alexander said:
We have a young QB that needs development? One is in Europe, the other has done nothing other than hold for kicks.

If Palmer was rejected (that is what you are saying, right)? It wasn't because of this issue. Coach Parcells is married to Bledsoe and there is not another candidate around that would work better with him.

no, I'm saying that Palmer thought working with Leinhart was a better opportunity for himself. Matt is going to play in NO. Henson and Romo aren't going to play here for a while. He's already shown he can work with Bledsoe -- you don't build a resume by repeating yourself.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, who will it be? I never loved the idea of Palmer but it did look as if he might be the guy.

My first choice was Saunders and my second choice has been Grimm all along. I think Russ Grimm is a quality young coach. I think his philosophy fits what we like to do. The job he's done in Pittsburgh and there OL is as good as you could ask for. He's had consideration as a HC in both Chicago a couple of years ago and this year in Detroit. He understands our style of football. He has won SuperBowls as a player and has had extensive playoff experience as a coach. His next logical step, would be as an OC. This is a tough, no nonsense guy. He's a what you see is what you get kind of guy. He's also going to get a HC gig somewhere eventually. This would be a great hire as an OC IMO. Eventually, could be a very good candidate for HC as well. I just like this guy. I hope he's a consideration for us.

Alexander

Reaction score
abersonc said:
no, I'm saying that Palmer thought working with Leinhart was a better opportunity for himself. Matt is going to play in NO. Henson and Romo aren't going to play here for a while. He's already shown he can work with Bledsoe -- you don't build a resume by repeating yourself.

You do have a point. I am sure Palmer would love to shed to unfair label that he failed with Couch and Carr.

garyv

Reaction score
Jerry Jones the next Offensive Coordinator OH NO !!!!

TheHustler

Reaction score
Maybe this is an "***" from Sean. If we let him take Sporano with him, we would have been free to get Palmer, but we didn't so Sean says screw you guys, I'll take Palmer instead!

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Palmer to interview with Saints, too

[SIZE=-1]10:55 AM CST on Friday, January 27, 2006

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By TODD ARCHER and JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News[/SIZE]

The Cowboys’ competition for Chris Palmer has increased with Sean Payton expected to interview Palmer today for New Orleans’ quarterbacks coach job, according to sources.

Payton, the Cowboys' former passing game coordinator, will call his own plays with the Saints and is seeking a coach to help formulate game plans.

Palmer interviewed with the Cowboys on Wednesday for an undisclosed spot on Bill Parcells’ staff and worked with Parcells, Drew Bledsoe and Terry Glenn in New England, and coached with Tony Sparano, the running game coordinator, at the college and NFL levels. He has also talked with the New York Jets.

E-mail jjtaylor@***BANNED-URL***

E-mail tarcher@***BANNED-URL***

Link

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By TODD ARCHER and JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News[/SIZE]

The Cowboys’ competition for Chris Palmer has increased with Sean Payton expected to interview Palmer today for New Orleans’ quarterbacks coach job, according to sources.

Payton, the Cowboys' former passing game coordinator, will call his own plays with the Saints and is seeking a coach to help formulate game plans.

Palmer interviewed with the Cowboys on Wednesday for an undisclosed spot on Bill Parcells’ staff and worked with Parcells, Drew Bledsoe and Terry Glenn in New England, and coached with Tony Sparano, the running game coordinator, at the college and NFL levels. He has also talked with the New York Jets.

Link

There goes the theory that he rejected the Cowboys because he wanted more control. Payton is doing with the Saints what Parcells will with the Cowboys.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
There goes the theory that he rejected the Cowboys because he wanted more control. Payton is doing with the Saints what Parcells will with the Cowboys.

That is because Payton hated working for Parcells, resented BP calling plays and having Payton just prepare the game plans.....no wait that is what Payton is doing :lmao2: Maybe he thought that BP was actually smart doing it that way?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
I have seen where people were saying palmer turned us down, look at the position he is interviewing for with the Saints. If he had an offer here he would have taken it over that demotion. Seems to me Dallas didnt make an offer.

[/SIZE]

Link

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
abersonc said:
I still believe the issue was the opportunity to develop a young QB. That's been Palmer's deal. He became a hot commodity b/c of his work with Bledsoe and Brunell. Then he cooled off after not developing Couch and Carr.

If you want to get yourself back in the running for a HC job -- or at least for higher paying OC jobs, you have to rehab your reputation as a QB guru. That isn't going to happen coaching Bledsoe -- he's a vet. But you develop Lienhart well and bingo, you are a HC candidate again.

If your theory is correct that doesn't say much about the horses in our stable.