USA Today: It's time to admit Cowboys' Jason Garrett grew into a great head coach

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by waving monkey, Sep 12, 2017.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

26,498 Messages
    15,112 Likes Received
    We've ran that pick play where Dez and Beasley clear out for TWill's slant every year for at least 3 years. WE ran quite a bit of no huddle last year and the meme was it seemed to calm Dak down when he was erratic.

I don't trust you to know what you are seeing in games.

2. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

14,319 Messages
    17,221 Likes Received
    Not really. Using your logic, any team making the playoffs is a contender then. But do you really believe that?

3. lopey

lopey Member

42 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    This is spot on!!

FuzzyLumpkins and Idgit like this.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

38,163 Messages
    16,992 Likes Received

Our offense does look like more of a machine (system) since Tony has been gone.

Tony, as great as he was, made a lot of plays off of improvisation.

He didn't do as much of it in 2014 when Demarco was chewing up yards but 2015 it was back to being completely Romo dependent.

Dak is just running the offense and he figured out that he can just sit in the pocket and wait for Cole Beasley to get open because it's about a 90% chance he will.

Dak is not a better passer then Romo but I think he runs the system how it was intended to be ran better.

5. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

8,508 Messages
    3,822 Likes Received
    LOL, a Jimmy Johnson comparison to go along with the superior to Tom Landry missives.

6. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

31,444 Messages
    9,173 Likes Received
    He'll get there, with the passing - that's when it'll get very dangerous.

He also had games last year where he put the team on his back, like the playoff game.

That said, I agree - Dak's got the ability to know when to just drive the bus. He was trying to force plays in the 1st quarter Sunday night, but after a little while realized he didn't have to try and press -- just take care of the ball and "quarterback the offense." Aikman was great at it - never posted gaudy passing numbers, but the offense ran as a total unit and we smashed people. I think Dak will be that type of quarterback for his career.

7. casmith07

casmith07 Attorney-at-Zone

31,444 Messages
    9,173 Likes Received
    The qualities are similar -- emphasis on preparation and execution, stoic leadership, unwavering confidence. You don't have to immediately jump to the idea that its nothing but superlatives...critical thought is actually allowed, contrary to the Zone's unwritten rules, lol.

Melonfeud likes this.
  8. AmericanCowboy

AmericanCowboy Well-Known Member

1,185 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    Garrett had terrible clock management at the end of the first half.

He gave the ball back to the Giants without them using any of their timeouts when when we were at the 50 with 2 minutes left in the half.

And then he starts by throwing a bomb to Dez!

It didn't come back to bite us this game but this completely stupid to try and score as fast as possible after the 2 minute mark- Yet every ear Garrett does this.

9. Jstopper

Jstopper Well-Known Member

2,780 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    And of course your strawman argument has no legs to stand on. A typical deflection when a person is met with a fact that throws their agenda off the rails.

10. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita CowBabe Up!!! Zone Supporter

17,092 Messages
    8,067 Likes Received
    Nope. And that's not what I said. I see a team coming together under Garrett. The defense is the last piece. If we were a little better on that side of the ball, we would've played in a NFCC by now. Has that been remedied? Time will tell. But we have been contenders two of the last 3 years.

totheleft likes this.
  11. jjktkk

jjktkk Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,219 Messages
    386 Likes Received
    Chargers have a top 10 QB, plus like most NFL Division games, there are no cupcakes. Cleveland almost beat Pittsburgh and the Steelers are a Super Bowl contender, so close games between Division rivals are more of the norm than not.

Melonfeud likes this.
  12. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

14,319 Messages
    17,221 Likes Received
    They don't have enough postseason success to just assume they are a contender. We really have no clue whatsoever if this team is really a contender. There is nothing in their past to indicate they can make any real noise in the playoffs.

In other words, we are basically the Cincy Bengals............ throw some nice regular seasons out there but then spit the bit in the playoffs. That's not a contender.

13. Doomsay

8,508 Messages
    3,822 Likes Received

You compared Jason, who had his primary coaching duties unceremoniously stripped away, to Jimmy Johnson a borderline HOF coach who personally created a dynasty via player acquisition and team design. Somebody else compared Jason's tenure on an established team with a franchise QB in place to Tom Landry's coaching record on a grass roots expansion team in the 60's. Who's argument looks wobbly now?

Zman5 likes this.
  14. Doomsay

8,508 Messages
    3,822 Likes Received
    My statement was superlative-free.

Melonfeud likes this.
  15. jjktkk

2,219 Messages
    386 Likes Received
    And we also saw what New England did to Atlanta in the Super Bowl, so this really isn't a good comparison.

waving monkey likes this.
  16. jjktkk

2,219 Messages
    386 Likes Received
    OK. Garrett made a "dumb" call, or I should say Scott Linehan,but whatever. I seem to recall Pete Carroll making a "dumb" call in the Super Bowl, passing on the goal line instead of running Beastmode in for the game winning score. I don't recall Carroll ever being labeled a "dumb" coach.

waving monkey likes this.
  17. Jstopper

2,780 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    AGAIN most head coaches do not call their own plays. I listed an example of a coach most here love and even he didn't do it. We are talking about play calling here and showing you can be a good head coach without that responsibility. Do you understand now?

18. Jstopper

2,780 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    The Bengals have not won a single playoff game since you 1990. Sorry that's not a good example

Idgit and jjktkk like this.
  19. Jstopper

2,780 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    Which your point basically says the Peyton Manning led colts were never a contender until they broke through to the sb in 06?

jjktkk likes this.
  20. jjktkk

2,219 Messages
    386 Likes Received
    Wow, really? Every local, regional, and national media outlet has Dallas as a Super Bowl contender. But you compare this team to the Bengals. That's pretty telling to me.