USA Today: It's time to admit Cowboys' Jason Garrett grew into a great head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydla

Reaction score
True, by no means am I saying Garrett will achieve the same, I don't know what Garrett will or will not do in the future I am not a fortune teller but I can say it is a factual statement that at the same points of their career Belichick was no different than Garrett. Belichick 1st 6 season 41-55, Garrett 1st 6 full seasons 54-43

And maybe he will be the next Belicheck. As you said, who the hell knows.

But this thread started with an article saying we need to admit Garrett is now a great coach and we have people in this thread calling him a great coach.

But is he really a great coach? I say no because he has no real track record of success. Maybe that will come starting this year, but I think people are trying way too hard to anoint him as some elite coach in this league when he has a really slim resume.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And maybe he will be the next Belicheck. As you said, who the hell knows.

But this thread started with an article saying we need to admit Garrett is now a great coach and we have people in this thread calling him a great coach.

But is he really a great coach? I say no because he has no real track record of success. Maybe that will come starting this year, but I think people are trying way too hard to anoint him as some elite coach in this league when he has a really slim resume.

and I said earlier in the thread I don't think Garrett is great, I think coaches are looked at by championships. I do think he is a good HC and I think he has his moving in the right direction. You compare him to Marvin Lewis, maybe that is what he will be then again who knows.

Dodger12

Reaction score
You can laugh but given the same point in their career it is pretty much the same. Of course Belichick went on to win multi SB over the course of the next 16 years. I don't know what the future is for Garrett but again at the same points of their careers as a HC it is what it is, Belichick was not being looked at as some football god during those seasons

Well, it's kind of the same except BB was fired after his fifth year. And I don't blame Art Modell one bit for firing BB....I mean, if you can't win with Vinny Testaverde, you should be fired. It's not like Dallas where Garrett never had a quality QB, a HOF DE or a HOF TE. Oh...wait.....

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Garrett had terrible clock management at the end of the first half.

He gave the ball back to the Giants without them using any of their timeouts when when we were at the 50 with 2 minutes left in the half.

And then he starts by throwing a bomb to Dez!

It didn't come back to bite us this game but this completely stupid to try and score as fast as possible after the 2 minute mark- Yet every ear Garrett does this.

How is Dak reading single coverage and throwing it to Dez on Garrett's clock management skills?

The defense was dominant and he read it right because he got another 3 and out. I think this is less about his clock management and more about him having a good feel for his team's performance in game.

We didn't need to run the clock out and play not to lose. Garrett plays to win. Deal with it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Well, it's kind of the same except BB was fired after his fifth year. And I don't blame Art Modell one bit for firing BB....I mean, if you can't win with Vinny Testaverde, you should be fired. It's not like Dallas where Garrett never had a quality QB, a HOF DE or a HOF TE. Oh...wait.....

As HC it falls to him, hell BP brought Vinny to Dallas and started him as well as Bledsoe. Most of Romo career was under Garrett and now Dak a rookie QB.

Dodger12

Reaction score
As HC it falls to him, hell BP brought Vinny to Dallas and started him as well as Bledsoe. Most of Romo career was under Garrett and now Dak a rookie QB.

My point is that folks want to compare him to successful coaches but BB was fired after 5 years. I mean, it's been 7 years and the fact we're reading articles about how he's "grown" into the position or he's finally gotten "it" after 7 years is disturbing, at least to me anyway. And it's also pretty damning when the OC calls 3 straight passing plays on 1st and goal from the 3 with Elliott in the backfield. That's just not very smart coaching and we got away with it because the D played lights out. But sooner or later it will bite this team.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guess I'm just one to want really convincing proof before deciding if a coach is worthy or not. In that Monday ball game, I thought both teams played pretty admirably and deserved to win. It's really tough to come from behind the way SD did, though. It could easily have gone either way. Great game, as it turned out. :)
Believe me there's nobody here that's going to take more convincing than me before I ever utter the words great coach and Garrett in the same sentence. Lol

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
My point is that folks want to compare him to successful coaches but BB was fired after 5 years. I mean, it's been 7 years and the fact we're reading articles about how he's "grown" into the position or he's finally gotten "it" after 7 years is disturbing, at least to me anyway. And it's also pretty damning when the OC calls 3 straight passing plays on 1st and goal from the 3 with Elliott in the backfield. That's just not very smart coaching and we got away with it because the D played lights out. But sooner or later it will bite this team.
No excuse for that. Should have had a TD and that will come back to haunt us if they continue to do that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care about 'great coach.' I mean, I do, but that's a subjective word. The only thing I've ever cared about with Garrett is whether or not he's a good enough coach to assemble, develop, and then get a team to a Superbowl championship.

I do think he's built an NFC contender and that it's pretty hard to argue otherwise. 12 and 13 win seasons, with the personnel we've got right now speaks for itself as far as I'm concerned. The NFL has a single elimination playoff format, and as long as it does, you have a lot of good teams going home unhappy every year and only one going home happy. But the fact that we're discussing whether or not he's a 'great' coach already means that most people recognize that he's at least a pretty good coach.

That fact alone is huge, huge progress from where we were during the 8-8 season when I was debating with every idiot I could find (and if you're one of those idiots, I'm obviously not talking about *you* here, guys. It was somebody else) that getting an 8-8 team to 8-8 is not actually a disaster and that sometimes the best coaching jobs happen on teams that don't have competitive personnel.

Now, we've got the personnel to compete. We competed in 2014, and we competed in 2016. We look like a team that's capable of competing this season, too. We'll see what happens. When we play defense as well as we play offense, I have a feeling the debate over the quality of our HC won't be all that interesting. If we don't get there, that question will have answered itself the other way and I won't disagree.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
So 2D3 you can't see positive growth in the team?

Of course I do. But that doesn't qualify for much with Garrett since this most likely was McClay drafting better players. If Dave Campo actually had a couple of playmakers on his team he might have posted three 9 & 7 seasons instead of the crap[ he did.

Cmac

Reaction score
3 pass plays inside the 5 or 6 yd line.....and no look at Zeke......I'd say "Slow down, there's more needed to be seen in JG......consistently, before Hail to JG starts". It makes no difference that the plays are being called by the OC.

lqmac1

Reaction score
Or he just struck gold in the draft...
He struck gold, but when Belichick gets great players from the draft, he's a genius? People need to realize that Jason Garrett is maturing and evolving into a stud head coach

waving monkey

Reaction score
well its hardly difficult to understand that the players play the game
coaches coach.
I don't care about 'great coach.' I mean, I do, but that's a subjective word. The only thing I've ever cared about with Garrett is whether or not he's a good enough coach to assemble, develop, and then get a team to a Superbowl championship.

I do think he's built an NFC contender and that it's pretty hard to argue otherwise. 12 and 13 win seasons, with the personnel we've got right now speaks for itself as far as I'm concerned. The NFL has a single elimination playoff format, and as long as it does, you have a lot of good teams going home unhappy every year and only one going home happy. But the fact that we're discussing whether or not he's a 'great' coach already means that most people recognize that he's at least a pretty good coach.

That fact alone is huge, huge progress from where we were during the 8-8 season when I was debating with every idiot I could find (and if you're one of those idiots, I'm obviously not talking about *you* here, guys. It was somebody else) that getting an 8-8 team to 8-8 is not actually a disaster and that sometimes the best coaching jobs happen on teams that don't have competitive personnel.

Now, we've got the personnel to compete. We competed in 2014, and we competed in 2016. We look like a team that's capable of competing this season, too. We'll see what happens. When we play defense as well as we play offense, I have a feeling the debate over the quality of our HC won't be all that interesting. If we don't get there, that question will have answered itself the other way and I won't disagree.
In literature,politics and such they call this historical context That sound a little high falutin in the game of football but its same thing.
What Garrett did in those pitiful o/line years was smart coaching while he figured out the details.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Ya, all those 8-8's were great, epic, great i tell you, i know 8-8 seasons and JG has the best ones. The greatest I tell you.

ALBIT

Reaction score
http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...s-jason-garrett-grew-into-a-great-head-coach/

You gon’ learn today.

On Sunday, the Dallas Cowboys solved a riddle that had befuddled them twice the previous season. The New York Giants came to town, winner of the last three head-to-head contests and the only team in the division to win a Super Bowl in recent memory. With their elite quarterback in Eli Manning, the division rivals seemed to have the Cowboys number.

No sir, not today.

I didnt read the rest of this article. They lost me after he said he turnes into a GREAT coach. Why why is this word so easily used. JG has miles ro go until he is considered a great coach

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...s-jason-garrett-grew-into-a-great-head-coach/

You gon’ learn today.

On Sunday, the Dallas Cowboys solved a riddle that had befuddled them twice the previous season. The New York Giants came to town, winner of the last three head-to-head contests and the only team in the division to win a Super Bowl in recent memory. With their elite quarterback in Eli Manning, the division rivals seemed to have the Cowboys number.

No sir, not today.
Sooooo, how many years did we waste waiting for his greatness? Sorry, @Idgit.

ALBIT

Reaction score
Tell me what makes him great. He went almost a full year without winning a game without his starting QB. Romo saved his careeer. Romo made those bad teams respectible. Once he got hurt JG couldnt win a game. ( 1 game late in the season ) look up his record without his starting QB before Dak got here. Now comes Dak. He saved his *** as well. Thank 21 mostly for that and of course Dak. But please please stop with using the word great for JG. Its insulting. He has light years to go before ever being considered great. It drives me crazy how people toss that word around

Status
Not open for further replies.