USA Today: It's time to admit Cowboys' Jason Garrett grew into a great head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALBIT

Reaction score
And maybe he will be the next Belicheck. As you said, who the hell knows.

But this thread started with an article saying we need to admit Garrett is now a great coach and we have people in this thread calling him a great coach.

But is he really a great coach? I say no because he has no real track record of success. Maybe that will come starting this year, but I think people are trying way too hard to anoint him as some elite coach in this league when he has a really slim resume.

Wait who said maybe he will be next Belicheck????????????? Who would ever say that and u would even consider that a possibilty. Come on people. Why why must every thing cowboys be the best or great. Why are you guys obbessed with it. We have a long long long way to go to be considered great. I dont get it. Why cant we just play one game at a time and who cares where anyone ranks. Lets just win football games

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait who said maybe he will be next Belicheck????????????? Who would ever say that and u would even consider that a possibilty. Come on people. Why why must every thing cowboys be the best or great. Why are you guys obbessed with it. We have a long long long way to go to be considered great. I dont get it. Why cant we just play one game at a time and who cares where anyone ranks. Lets just win football games
:hammer::yourock::yourock:
And for good measure, :igglestrophy:

ALBIT

Reaction score
We play one great game defensively aganist the worst O line in football with no RB and minus the best play maker in the league. Now all of a sudden we are a great defense????? Come on. One game at a time. Please people. We have so much to prove. Lets just focus on Denver.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Believe me, I hope you're right. We still have 15 games. I'd settle for two winning seasons in a row.
You coach right? When your team reports to practice and you have run them thru the drills a few days you can pick em.
Those that are players and the rest of em. You play em and see something coming together [or not] and you can't be faulted
for saying I think we got something this year.
We're had seven years of Garrett's process and personally I see real change. So does others that make a living
in the NFL.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nobody said Garrett was the next Belichick. The point was that the best coach ever had an inauspicious win-loss record to start so it ought to be understood that it can take some time to build a team.

What matters is the team we've got. And most people think that team looks young and talented.

Sydla

Reaction score
You coach right? When your team reports to practice and you have run them thru the drills a few days you can pick em.
Those that are players and the rest of em. You play em and see something coming together [or not] and you can't be faulted
We're had seven years of Garrett's process and personally I see real change. So does others that make a living
in the NFL.

Real change? At this point, this is what the diehard Garrett defenders point to........... nebulous things like culture and change because other than two nice regular seasons, Garrett's resume is pretty bland. What good is culture and chemistry if he still can't win playoff games?

7 years. It's now time to stop pointing to things like culture and the like and start expecting and getting playoff success. If we are sitting here in January after a non-playoff season or another early bounce out of the playoffs, I really hope we don't hear things like what a great team culture he's building. I mean how long does it take to build a team culture? A decade?

waving monkey

Reaction score
Real change? At this point, this is what the diehard Garrett defenders point to........... nebulous things like culture and change because other than two nice regular seasons, Garrett's resume is pretty bland. What good is culture and chemistry if he still can't win playoff games?

7 years. It's now time to stop pointing to things like culture and the like and start expecting and getting playoff success. If we are sitting here in January after a non-playoff season or another early bounce out of the playoffs, I really hope we don't hear things like what a great team culture he's building. I mean how long does it take to build a team culture? A decade?
13-3
COTY
ROY
14-2
4-12
8-8
8-8
8-8

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
tom landry was great jimmy Johnson was great they won championships garrets team cant even win a divisional playoff game what the writer thinks is great and what I think is great is two really different things its one game In a long season if Elliot has to serve his suspension the cowboys wont even make the playoffs

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
in the NFL.
There is always optimism in the preseason, unfortunately there are so many factors that can derail a season. A lot of things have to go right for a team to make it to the big game. In Dallas, the big game is the only thing that will make it a successful season. I'm all in with this team. Garrett has come a long way, but will never be Great unless he wins a big one, ala Tony Romo. Fair or not, this is is life in Big D.

Sydla

Reaction score
13-3
COTY
ROY
14-2
4-12
8-8
8-8
8-8

1-2 in playoffs in 7 years. Lost as the #1 seed at home just last year.

You guys sure do love your regular season successes. When do we get a trophy for best regular season, 2016?

And when can we expect playoff success? In other words, if 2 years from now we still don't have much in the way of playoff success, then will you still sit there and pimp him for his culture?

PS - Why did you mix up seasons. He went 12-4 and then 4-12 and then 13-3.

waving monkey

Reaction score
1-2 in playoffs in 7 years. Lost as the #1 seed at home just last year.

You guys sure do love your regular season successes. When do we get a trophy for best regular season, 2016?
just illustrating growth.If you cant see it coming I cant help ya. We're all fans

VACowboy

Reaction score
I wish people would get a new expression beyond "pump the brakes" to express their belief that we should all slow down in our thinking about issues. Kind of getting old. I file it right up there with the brilliance of "championship!"

Sydla

Reaction score
just illustrating growth.If you cant see it coming I cant help ya. We're all fans

Well technically, what he has shown is inconsistency............. 12-4, then 4-12 and then 13-3. He's never put a winning season together in back to back seasons. Maybe he will this year but until now, he really hasn't show much growth. Certainly not in post season success.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Old guys like me recall when Landry was seen very similarly to the way Garrett is now seen. Forget the Ice Bowl. Look back to two playoff losses to the Cleveland Browns. The Cowboys became known as "Next Year's Champions." And before the wasps swarm, I'm not saying Garrett will have Landry's success. We shall have to watch Garrett's career arc. But impatience can be awfully poison to NFL teams. I imagine the Browns would have a different recent history if a guy named Bill had been given some time.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sooooo, how many years did we waste waiting for his greatness? Sorry, @Idgit.

No need to apologize to me. Im ok with you being wrong about Jason Garret.

The 2010-2012 teams were all pretty mediocre from a talent standpoint. The defense's in particular. We made two DC false starts in that area. I'm not sure we wasted seasons though. We did have a top flight QB. But we rebuilt pretty much the rest of the team around him on the fly.

Those teams were all basically talented enough to compete for the postseason, but not talented enough to do real damage. I'm not sure why fans seem to think differently in retrospect.

diefree666

Reaction score

some just see better than others. Fact is Garret has done NOTHING in the playoffs. Until he does he is NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING GREAT.

In the last 30 years show me a coach that won a Lombardi without coming close his first 7 years. Back in the older days (60's and 70's) when the NFL was completely different it could and did happen.

In this day and age? Red Ball is very lucky that Jerry is one who hates to acknowledge mistakes.

diefree666

Reaction score
No need to apologize to me. Im ok with you being wrong about Jason Garret.

The 2010-2012 teams were all pretty mediocre from a talent standpoint. The defense's in particular. We made two DC false starts in that area. I'm not sure we wasted seasons though. We did have a top flight QB. But we rebuilt pretty much the rest of the team around him on the fly.

Those teams were all basically talented enough to compete for the postseason, but not talented enough to do real damage. I'm not sure why fans seem to think differently in retrospect.

maybe because we watched other teams completely rebuild and win it all while we just treaded water.

How long did it take Pete Carrol to build that team? from the time he got there until they won it all?

Sean Payton at NO? I could go on but I hope you get the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.