Ware Release: has the Organization Changed? ***Ware Mega Merge-place all Ware threads here please***

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the defensive line wasnt torn apart with injuries we may have felt differently about the 4-3. The 3-4 the previous season wasnt anything good either. Regardless this defense would have been awful last year.

Really?

What were the comparative defensive rankings between the two years?

And, as a follow up, other than Hatcher, what other player got better as a result of the change in scheme, rather than worse?

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Romo has had his chances, sorry if I'm not freaking out about his window of opportunity closing when he's failed everytime we needed him to come through.

I'm beyond ready to turn the page on this Garrett/Romo era.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Marinelli's water into wine act is not a sure thing. Take his track record in Chicago. It took adding an expensive piece in Julius Peppers in 2010 to get it brought together.

Here are the linemen drafted by Chicago when Marinelli was around:

2012 - Shea McClellin
2011 - Stephen Paea
2010 - Corey Wootton
2009 - Jarron Gilbert (out of the league); Henry Melton

You can blame the relative mediocrity on the scouting department if you wish, but it does not fill me with the same sense of faith you have in him.

I'm not sure I really see your point. Paea and Wootton have been productive, and Melton was a pro bowler before his injury, and none of those three guys were drafted in the first. Even McClellin hasn't been terrible, and he should be better at linebacker.

erod

Reaction score
Ware wants to go to a 3-4 team, where he can again drop back and not cover receivers and not reach the QB on the pass rush.

Folks, this dude is just done. Sure, he'll get a few more of his typical meaningless sacks, but he hasn't been an impact player in a long, long time.

morasp

Reaction score
Marinelli turned some guy named Selvie into a contributor. The key is to get a franchise 3-tech--that's the motor. Get Marinelli a 3-tech and better depth and I have faith.

That's the key. The difference I see from past efforts is Marinelli. If he would have tried a three year plan with the defensive line last year instead trying 19 different players we would have been a lot worse than we were. He seems like a guy that's going to keep going through players until he finds the right combination. Kind of like Seattle and San Francisco did. Jerry has shown that he respects his opinion so he will probably be on board with it.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Where are we at exactly? Oh yes, with no accomplished defensive ends under contract. And yes, I am counting George Selvie.

At the point where they need to stop kidding themselves about winning now and start seeing if they can build a young core that can compete in a few years. D-Ware wasn't going to make or break this squad. They have had four straight seasons of .500 or worse with him.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Yes. As much as I like Ware, the Cowboys need to start preparing for the future. We had Tony Romo, Jason Witten and DeMarcus Ware at the height and prime of their careers, and we didn't sniff a Super Bowl, much less an NFC Championship Game. And those three are considerably older. I just didn't/don't see it happening with those three now.
Maybe the savings will get us some young talent in here to start the rebuilding process. But I think Ware's time has come and gone. I think he can make more of an impact with a fresh start and a team that has talent to augment what he has to bring.

God speed, Mr. Ware.

NJ22

Reaction score
The window for this team has been closed for three years now, why Jerry and so many fans haven't figured that out is beyond me....it's long past due for this team to be gutted and rebuilt from top to bottom....I would of traded Ware two years ago instead of over paying for aging players, it's a young man's game now, but Jerry will never learn, he thinks building a team form outside/in is the way to go, yet other good teams build from the inside/out......chasing 8-8 and a playoff birth with mediocrity and over paid aging core veterans isn't the answer, this isn't the 70's and 80's anymore...

I agree. It is only a fluke that the division has been so down that 8-8 is relevent. People have in their heads that we were "almost a playoff team!" Give me a break.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The Cowboys let go of Charles Haley in 1996. It took 10 freaking years to find his replacement in Ware. Guys like Ware don't grow on trees. Cutting him is just another mistake Jerry will regret in a few years after he realizes he can't replace him. Jerry slammed the door on any title hopes during the Romo era yesterday.

That door was slammed when Wade left. Not saying Wade would have gotten us to a Super Bowl, but this team has been on a downward spiral ever since Wade's first year with the Cowboys.
Even if Ware would have stayed, this team wouldn't have done much. Might as well retool now. I can't see Ware of 2014 being better than the Ware of 2007.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Not gonna happen. This is just Jerry talking out of his ***.

So Right now his decision is to either play for Old ********** and the Secret Sauce Kid for a chance to make a few less bucks with the circus while sitting in January. Or to go over to a serious team for a few more or less bucks who provides the potential to win in the playoffs and perhaps come out with a ring.
I think Ware is in the drivers seat on this one and I think he's done here in big D.
Go Ware!!

JackWagon

Reaction score
Really?

What were the comparative defensive rankings between the two years?

And, as a follow up, other than Hatcher, what other player got better as a result of the change in scheme, rather than worse?

The corners sure got worse.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...are-and-i-will-keep-talking-he-may-come-back/

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 11, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
jerry-jones.jpg
Getty Images
Cowboys owner and General Manager Jerry Jones released the team’s longtime star pass rusher DeMarcus Ware today, but Jones said Ware’s days in Dallas aren’t necessarily over.

Jones released a statement shortly after the decision to cut Ware became official, saying that Ware would be open to coming back, and the Cowboys would be open to bringing him back.

I think if he doesnt get the number that would be more then what the Cowboys were willing to give him. He will be back. Under the contract he had he was most likely gone next yr.

Ware is going to go to Denver. he gets a chance to play with a superbowl team. imagine him and miller on either side. Denver is loading up on defense for a another run

starfrombirth

Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...are-and-i-will-keep-talking-he-may-come-back/

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 11, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT
jerry-jones.jpg
Getty Images
Cowboys owner and General Manager Jerry Jones released the team’s longtime star pass rusher DeMarcus Ware today, but Jones said Ware’s days in Dallas aren’t necessarily over.

Jones released a statement shortly after the decision to cut Ware became official, saying that Ware would be open to coming back, and the Cowboys would be open to bringing him back.

I think if he doesnt get the number that would be more then what the Cowboys were willing to give him. He will be back. Under the contract he had he was most likely gone next yr.

No he won't. He wants to be on a contender. This was just the excuse both sides needed to save face and move on.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'm not sure I really see your point. Paea and Wootton have been productive, and Melton was a pro bowler before his injury, and none of those three guys were drafted in the first. Even McClellin hasn't been terrible, and he should be better at linebacker.

The point is that despite Marinelli's reputation, he was not exactly a miracle maker in three years in Chicago. For Dallas to have a productive defense in the upcoming year, the team will have to hit home runs with practically each addition. Melton is his one true success story. The rest are all basically average to decent. We have next to nothing on the line right now and it is not as simple to say "draft them" and it is fixed.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Publicly, they will say that they can compete for championships now, same as they always have. Ware and Austin's cap savings will go to long-term deals for Dez and Tyron. All will be well.

Privately, they will use this year to judge players like Carter, Claiborne, Escobar and Wilcox then try to reload around what they feel their core is with an age of under 30.

In the interim, Romo can be used to sell tickets. They will probably even look for Romo's successor in the 2015 draft.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
At the point where they need to stop kidding themselves about winning now and start seeing if they can build a young core that can compete in a few years. D-Ware wasn't going to make or break this squad. They have had four straight seasons of .500 or worse with him.

I am all for moving on. You eventually have to do that and there is no doubt we painted ourselves into a corner with Ware.

But to take the weakest area of the club and make it weaker is not the best way to go about things.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Did Jerry say "The offer is 6M, come back if you don't get a better offer".

if he gets 5 million with Denver. I think he might leave, because at some point its not just about the money. getting a chance to win a championship might become the main driver. He might even go to NO, to get back with his old DC. it wouldn't surprise me.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
Ware wants to go to a 3-4 team, where he can again drop back and not cover receivers and not reach the QB on the pass rush.

Folks, this dude is just done. Sure, he'll get a few more of his typical meaningless sacks, but he hasn't been an impact player in a long, long time.

New Orleans.

Rob Ryan is ready to ride him to his HC job don't you know.