Ware Release: has the Organization Changed? ***Ware Mega Merge-place all Ware threads here please***

Don Corleone

Reaction score
I am so sick of hearing that Ware's decline is in any way associated with his switch to 4-3. It was simply injuries folks. He would be successful in either system if healthy. With that being said, cap mismanagement is why he is gone. Jerry bit the bullet and decided to move on. I can honestly say I am not sure how I feel about it yet. Maybe it is an eye opener for JJ and his cap management will get better from here on out. Only time will tell.

So when the Cowboys cut loyal ties, it is due to cap mismanagement, but when the Patriots do it to players like Richard Seymour, we applaud their genius moves?

I get it now.

It takes two to tango. Jerry offered the sweet contract and Ware didn't refuse.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The point is that despite Marinelli's reputation, he was not exactly a miracle maker in three years in Chicago. For Dallas to have a productive defense in the upcoming year, the team will have to hit home runs with practically each addition. Melton is his one true success story. The rest are all basically average to decent. We have next to nothing on the line right now and it is not as simple to say "draft them" and it is fixed.

I'm not worried about it. The man has "rushmen". It'll all work out.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, what if we draft Michael Sam? Imagine that potential scene.

Hayden: Yeah, Coach Marinelli gives all his defensive linemen nicknames.

Sam: Really? What's your nickname?

Hayden: ...............oh, this is awkward.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He isn't coming back.
He is going to land with a contending team and try to grab a ring to finish off a Hall of Fame career.

If this was just about money Ware could have taken the pay cut and stayed.
He has plenty of money, but very few playoff wins.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Denver may buy Ware right into their fold but Ware will still be obliged to earn his $$. He can't do it sitting on the sideline with a multitude of injuries. Just sayin -- things will have to take a dramatic turn for the better regarding Ware's health for Denver to get their money's worth with him. It's anything but guaranteed he'll be available for a full season. Denver's gambling on this, bigtime.

erod

Reaction score
New Orleans.

Rob Ryan is ready to ride him to his HC job don't you know.

He'll be gimping around the field, accomplishing nothing, just like he did here.

For our sake, I hope Philly makes the mistake. For his sake, I hope he's smart enough to go to Denver or somewhere that Cowboy fans can stomach.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I am all for moving on. You eventually have to do that and there is no doubt we painted ourselves into a corner with Ware.

But to take the weakest area of the club and make it weaker is not the best way to go about things.

I would have loved it if they could have kept him, but he had a cost associated with him that was simply too high to keep. I'm sure they asked him to take a pay cut and he told he would only restructure. At that point, it was time to move on for both parties.

Straddling the cap each year is for teams that are actively competing for the Superbowl. Jerry has to stop putting premium gas in his Pinto with the hopes he can catch up to the fast cars.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
History is showing that JJ has more cap mismanagement issues than Pats.

You're missing the point. The Patriots have no loyalty to any player. When their vets get expensive on the wrong side of 30, they're gone. Brady is the only one to survive, but had his play slipped he would have been cut too.

It is refreshing to see this owner uncharacteristically sever ties with a vet.

9darter

Reaction score
He isn't coming back.
He is going to land with a contending team and try to grab a ring to finish off a Hall of Fame career.

If this was just about money Ware could have taken the pay cut and stayed.
He has plenty of money, but very few playoff wins.

This is exactly it. He realized he wasn't going to win anything in Dallas, and he has enough money to gamble a few millions (if that's what he needs to) on a ring.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
You're missing the point. The Patriots have no loyalty to any player. When their vets get expensive on the wrong side of 30, they're gone. Brady is the only one to survive, but had his play slipped he would have been cut too.

It is refreshing to see this owner uncharacteristically sever ties with a vet.

That's not true..
Wilfork is still there, he is there Demarcus ware. Bruschi was over 30 and a patriot.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
The Cowboys let go of Charles Haley in 1996. It took 10 freaking years to find his replacement in Ware. Guys like Ware don't grow on trees. Cutting him is just another mistake Jerry will regret in a few years after he realizes he can't replace him. Jerry slammed the door on any title hopes during the Romo era yesterday.

Jerry slammed the door on titles during the Romo era when he hired Wade Phillips and "stopped walking on egg-shells" because Parcells was around. We as fans just did not realize it at the time.

dstovall5

Reaction score
With the likely departures of Ware, Hatcher and Spencer, how can the team possibly rebuild the defensive line sufficiently in the year or two that Romo has left in the window where he can win a championship?

"Playoffs?! You talking about playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! You kidding me?! I just hope we win a game!"

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He could have taken a pay cut & still made many millions & he chose not to do that. Some will & some won't. He wouldn't.

So now he's gone. I really don't care where he goes or who he plays for. I like him & all that but now he's just a number on another team.

Anytime a player can hurt your QB, you don't want any part of him.
And Ware was destroying Tyron Smith last training camp.
Don't wanna see that in a real game with Romo the recipient of the kill shots.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
JMO but this couldn't be more off base. The OP was asking if the org was better with Ware's release not judging off past performance. Moving on from the bad contracts of Ware and Austin is a drastic change in philosophy and clearly marks a shift in thinking at VR. Both moves needed to be done and the fact they did shocks me a little. I'm thrilled with the moves and think the change is a good thing and something long overdue.

Possibly...

I'll reserve judgement until FA is over. Jerry has done nothing to prove he's changed IMHO. He released Ware because he had to not because he wanted to.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Flashback to a year ago, the mantra around here was that the 4-3 would be a boon to Ware's career. Ratliff and Spencer too.

Now, all three probably will not be around.

What a plan.

Wasn't my mantra. In fact I said the same thing at the time that he was too small to play with his hands on the ground and that he would get injured.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Filed to ESPN: Denver has emerged as the favorite to land former Dallas DE DeMarcus Ware, per league sources.

Edit: the title should say favorite instead of probably

It'll be interesting to see what Ware eventually settles for. I seriously doubt it'll be for 10 mil. If so, some team will be gambling a fortune on someone who hasn't even been able to practice, much less play effectively. I think DeMarcus is kidding himself.