What team will have the guts to draft Sam? What round

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJ22

Reaction score
Incognito is not on anyone's roster right now. BTW, he offered his best wishes to Sam via Twitter, who knows how genuine he was or if he's trying hard to clean up his damaged image.

There are quite a few Richie Incognitos in the league that nobody knows about. If Patrick Crayton and Vilma are any indication, he will have to deal with some teammates who are not thrilled.

Thats the point.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
As long as the Cowboys don't draft him, I don't care. This team has enough of a media circus around this team, the Cowboys certainly don't need to add to it with Sam.

I would not want him for the same reasons I wanted nothing to do with Te'o last year. It is unfortunate, but true.

Chevyman08

Reaction score
Look at Jason Collins in the NBA. He was invited to the freakin' State of the Union, overnight he became one of the top 5 jersey sellers in the NBA. Do we need it? No, but Jerry loves him some media attention. Michael Sam will finish this season as at least a top 10 jersey seller, likely top 5 if he's a starter on a high-profile team (as he would be here). He'd bring in $10M or so in revenue, not including the value of the insane media circus. Wouldn't be surprised to see him drafted by us in the 2nd.

I highly doubt it. He is a 3rd or 4th at best. We don't need the media attention it would bring.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I highly doubt it. He is a 3rd or 4th at best. We don't need the media attention it would bring.

I really do not think the media will be negitive to him because he is gay, if anything the media will be more supportive of him than many fans would be.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Insiders knew. Nobody outside of a very select group (scouts in particular) had done enough digging to find that out.

I read an article that NFL scouts knew.

NFL already knew top college star was gay.

All-American Michael Sam came out in public on Sunday, but pro scouts were apparently way ahead of him

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Stop comparing the two please.

why, it has to do with people own perception be it a different color or race. Fact is the media now days will be supportive it is the fans who have the problem. No one wants one of their guys to be gay the liberal media will praise him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

All-American Michael Sam came out in public on Sunday, but pro scouts were apparently way ahead of him
That is why I stated "scouts in particular".

Wayne02

Reaction score
why, it has to do with people own perception be it a different color or race. Fact is the media now days will be supportive it is the fans who have the problem. No one wants one of their guys to be gay the liberal media will praise him.

Oh I agree that the media will treat him with respect, that's not the issue. The issue is that the focus will be on a 4th or 5th round pick and what kind of lifestyle he chooses to live, instead of the team. That's a distraction that this team doesn't need.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

And I'm sure he would like to live his life like any other player not hiding in the shadow. To have a person in his life that he does not have to hide but to live his life in the open. In the end can you play football because if you can then there is a place in the NFL much more so than many of the thugs that come into the NFL who because of their action cost their team with suspentions. Hell I'll take him over drunks and druggies that we have seen in this league

Wayne02

Reaction score
Thank you, ... if I were black, that would infuriate me, .. comparing being black to being gay.

Not even in the same universe.

It absolutely infuriates me, it's very insulting and the fact that people can't understand that is even more frightening. Thank you for understanding.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Donte' Stallworth ‏@DonteStallworth 3h
Herm Edwards posed a hypothetical question on epsn re: drafting Michael Sam, "can (GM/owner/coach) handle the media... with this situation?"
If any NFL team can't "handle the media coverage" of drafting Sam, then your team is already a loser on the field... let me tell you why...
There are a multitude of issues that can arise in the long duration of an NFL season... some on the field, some off the field.
You won't have any idea what that on the field/off the field situation is until it's already upon you and the entire organization...
Which means that with drafting Michael Sam, you get a jump start on controlling the "media coverage" right from the onset.
If an organization is inept to the magnitude of not being able to control things with prior knowledge, how will you handle the unexpected?

Case Study 1: The Miami Dolphins and the bullying scandal... players talked more about THAT than they did football... for weeks!
During that time I questioned (tweeted) why the Dolphins players were talking more about the scandal than their next opponent....
Since the bullying story broke, the Dolphins finished the season 4-4...w/playoff hopes still alive, got spanked by division opp Jets, 20-7

Case Study 2: The New England Patriots and Aaron Hernandez AND Tim Tebow situations...
Beyond the state of shock I endured after the revelations of Hernandez, I knew that if ANY organization could handle this, it was the Pats.
This all happened right before training camp where players are supposed to come in w/clear minds in preparation for a long, rigorous season.
Not only were there questions about Aaron, but also about the health of Gronkowski and how those two combined affected the team as a whole.
Aaron is still awaiting trial & Gronk played in only 7 games this season...but yet the Pats seemed to avoid those "distractions" altogether.
Despite many season ending injuries to key pieces, the Pats finished 12-4 and lost to the Broncos in the AFC title with... ZERO distractions
Not to mention the whole Tebow signing and (alleged subsequent) distraction wasn't even a blip on most radars... Why?
Because Mr. Kraft and Bill Belichick would not allow ANY of that to be a "distraction" to ANYONE in the entire organization...

In my 10 years as an NFL player, I've played for 6 different teams & have been in every kind of locker room. Vet, young, mature, immature...
The leaders of an NFL organization AND the locker room better be able to handle adversity that is certain to emerge during a long NFL season
In my experience, if your organization can't "handle media coverage", they will suck on the field anyway... but hey, there's always 2015...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Oh I agree that the media will treat him with respect, that's not the issue. The issue is that the focus will be on a 4th or 5th round pick and what kind of lifestyle he chooses to live, instead of the team. That's a distraction that this team doesn't need.

I don't see it as a distraction if the media focused him be it in Dallas or anywhere else’s. I also think him getting this out there as he has will cause this story to fade as it really is no big deal. It would be more of an issue by trying to keep it secret

Wayne02

Reaction score
I don't see it as a distraction if the media focused him be it in Dallas or anywhere else’s. I also think him getting this out there as he has will cause this story to fade as it really is no big deal. It would be more of an issue by trying to keep it secret

I just don't understand why he put it out there in the first place, I don't care to know what people choose to do with their lives and I'm sure you don't care either. He should have done what he did at Missouri, which is let his team and the people that he is close to know and keep it in house. It's not my business or anyone else's.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bigotry is bigotry, yes, in this universe. Black men had to cross that boundary. Women have had to cross that boundary. Gay people are now attempting to cross that boundary.

Exactly. Judge the man on his own character and his own merits. As a football fan I will judge him like any other player and that is based on his ability.

jrumann59

Reaction score

Only if he or the media feels he is getting a fair shake, will it fade. If the media or the player himself feels he is getting unfair shake or targeted for bullying or something will it grow and could be detrimental to a team depending on his draft spot. If he sucks is he man enough to accept that or will he run to the media and state he felt he was cut too soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.