Where do most of you see Henson getting a new start?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
acheman said:
"Henson is untradeable. This groin thing with Vanderjadt may have sealed his fate because we may have to go with 2 kickers. I really think we'll end up going with 2 QB's this year."

Whether cut or traded where is the BEST fit for him with a new club?

There is no obvious answer which is what makes him untradeable. For his sake in terms of having a chance to actually play I'd like to see him go to a team like Oakland who will find out why NO let Aaron Brooks go and have no clear cut NFL quality backups. Or maybe Buffalo if they cut Kelly Holcomb- both JP Losman and Craig Nall are dubious quality starters. But if he wants his best shot to just hang around the league it could be in Philly- Jeff Garcia is an old bum and Koy Detmer flat out sucks. But the opportunities when you really look at the league team by team are pretty slim and even the few I mentioned are by no means clear cut.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I think it is unlikely that a guy in his position will earn a 2nd chance with any team. Not because he sucks, but because he is an unknown. After being completely away from football for 3 years and now as a backup in the NFL for what will be his 3rd year this season, there is just not enough information for another team to go off of.

Romo is starting to show something, but he would have a difficult time earning a chance with another team because he is somewhat of an unknown as well. I think most teams would rather take their chances in the draft over a guy that has been in the league for a few years, but has no real experience.

If there is a chance, it will be teams like Detroit as you mentioned. A team with a veteran starter, but one that only has a couple of years left. KC and Minnesota are in similar situations. Dallas is in a similar situation as well if Romo doesn't pan out or cannot be re-signed. I still see Detroit, KC and Minnesota utilizing the draft to find their QB of the future.

Romo would get snapped up very quickly if he was available.

I'm sure someone would take a flyer on Henson as well. If Hutch got another chance to play in the league, Henson would as well.

Teams bring in projects at the #3 spot all the time, so to say that no one would give either a second chance is definitely an odd statement.

jaybird

Reaction score
If Henson could have developed a well as Romo has, we would really have something lengdary. Accuracy, athlicism and Size. I hope we hang onto him for another year.
If not, I see him at Greenbay. Last time I checked Farve's back-up sucks and he was a high draft choice, so they're paying a ton of money for him. They will be looking for a bargain star.

skicat1898

Reaction score
Henson isn't going anywhere, the Cowboys want to continue to develope him. Bledsoe will be gone in a year or two and if Romo continues to improve we still need a #2. Who knows, Henson may finally get it by his 4th year, it took 4 for Bill to finally find confidence in Romo,,, let's give Henson 4.

Teams that Henson might succeed with, Detroit, St. Louis, maybe KC. and certainly the Bills

DLCassidy

Reaction score
jaybird said:
If Henson could have developed a well as Romo has, we would really have something lengdary. Accuracy, athlicism and Size. I hope we hang onto him for another year.
If not, I see him at Greenbay. Last time I checked Farve's back-up sucks and he was a high draft choice, so they're paying a ton of money for him. They will be looking for a bargain star.

Rogers is having a pretty nice camp. I think he will be given a chance to start there next year. But that is a possibility also for Henson at least as a backup.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
ConcordCowboy said:
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to do anything at all with Henson.

He's 3rd string and he's signed for what...5 more years.

Let him stay 3rd...Work with him to improve whatever needs to be fixed and give him time.

Now if Henson really wants out to get a fresh start...And I wouldn't blame him...then that's another story.

I'm a Henson fan, but this isn't little league where everyone gets to play. If Henson isn't able to beat out an average arm, former undrafted Div II QB and push for more playing time here, just where is he going to go and suddenly start getting a lot of reps?

I would tell him just what Bill told Ellis. You will play here or you will retire. Now get to work and correct some of the flaws that are holding you back.

Jeff Hostetler sat the bench for 7 YEARS before he got his chance. Who is Henson to be demanding a trade at this point in his career?

We've invested 2+ years and a decent amount of $$ in this guy. You don't cut him or trade him just because he isn't pushing for time yet. Also where can we find another 3rd team QB with his size and potential?

joseephuss

Reaction score
junk said:
Romo would get snapped up very quickly if he was available.

I'm sure someone would take a flyer on Henson as well. If Hutch got another chance to play in the league, Henson would as well.

Teams bring in projects at the #3 spot all the time, so to say that no one would give either a second chance is definitely an odd statement.

Why would he want to be a #3 on another team?

The 2nd chance was referring to the opportunity to be the starter. I don't think most teams would give him a chance to compete to be the starter any time soon. His chances in Dallas are better than what he would get for other teams because the coaches in Dallas know him. Other teams really know very little about him. Noting odd about my statements at all.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
logo.gif

Henson: "You want fries with that?"

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
I'm a Henson fan, but this isn't little league where everyone gets to play. If Henson isn't able to beat out an average arm, former undrafted Div II QB and push for more playing time here, just where is he going to go and suddenly start getting a lot of reps?

I would tell him just what Bill told Ellis. You will play here or you will retire. Now get to work and correct some of the flaws that are holding you back.

Jeff Hostetler sat the bench for 7 YEARS before he got his chance. Who is Henson to be demanding a trade at this point in his career?

We've invested 2+ years and a decent amount of $$ in this guy. You don't cut him or trade him just because he isn't pushing for time yet. Also where can we find another 3rd team QB with his size and potential?

I'm a Henson fan too and I don't want to trade him.

I'm pretty sure he could go to just about any team and get more reps than he's getting here. He's the 3rd string and Parcells is giving Baker his reps...For what? How is this going to help Henson?

To me I don't get the Baker is getting Henson reps thing...And I don't care about the we have to find out what Baker has so we can stick him on the Practice squad thing...If that's really the truth.

If Parcells likes Henson and to me he doesn't...Then Henson needs all the reps he can get and none should be taken away from him.

I don't really know if I believe the he's going to ask for a trade thing or not...And asking ain't getting...But if it were me in Henson's shoes and I thought that no matter what I wasn't going to get a chance with Parcells...and that may be how he feels...Then I probably would want a fresh start...A lot of people would.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bach said:
logo.gif

Henson: "You want fries with that?"

Brilliant post. :rolleyes:

Nice to see that we have supposed Cowboy fans loving when a player fails (or is looking to be in the process of failing).

I never understood that mindset.

And I'm sure Henson will desperately need to go work at McDonalds with 15 to 20 Million already in his bank accounts.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
I think it is unlikely that a guy in his position will earn a 2nd chance with any team. Not because he sucks, but because he is an unknown. After being completely away from football for 3 years and now as a backup in the NFL for what will be his 3rd year this season, there is just not enough information for another team to go off of.
I have to agree with this. I don't have anything against Henson. For whatever reason, both Parcells & now Jones (to judge by his recent comments) seem to have pretty much given up on him. But I really think he's been around too long for any team to have much of an interest in him any longer. You've got guys like Rohan Davy floating around, plus the backup QBs in Atlanta, Jacksonville, & now New England are starting to look really good--those would be proven QBs a team is far more likely to take than Henson. You've even got some guys biding their time in the CFL looking to come back to the NFL. Then factor in the crop that will be arriving in the next draft. Logically, a team that wants to develop a QB would take one of them rather than Henson. Maybe a team is interested in trying to develop him, but I would think he's getting pretty old for a team to really want to develop him now. And with all due respect to even the most ardent Henson supporters, can you really claim that he's anything more than a hopeful project right now? I just wonder why a team would take him rather than a younger QB they can bring along.

That being said, it does seem only fair that Dallas release him & give him a chance to try for another team. And at this point, with no hard feelings towards Henson, it appears that we're pretty safe with Romo.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Well here's a different take, I say we keep him and eat the salary, he knows the playbook, he's as good in an emergency as any other third stringer, and given more time may someday in some freaky set of circumstances get his chance. Injuries in the NFL are real common to qbs and with o-line its not a reach.I mena honestly we haven't lost anymore here than some of other brilliant draft picks, I mean anybody remember those o-line busts and the defensive lineman that never could rush worth a crap. He probably won't get to play but he has gotten experience in the off season, he is better than he was by virtue of that and he is insurance. I mena if your house doesn't burn down, or you don't have a wreck you still have the peace of mind that insurnace provides, could he do better elsewhere, probably but he took out "premium" and he's our insurance, not unlike what we've done with Ellis and others before, its best for the team...

kartr

Reaction score
stealth said:
croyle has injury concerns, I like the raiders because randy moss would be good for henson to have.

But would Henson be good for Randy Moss?

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Erik_H said:
Brilliant post. :rolleyes:

Nice to see that we have supposed Cowboy fans loving when a player fails (or is looking to be in the process of failing).

I never understood that mindset.

And I'm sure Henson will desperately need to go work at McDonalds with 15 to 20 Million already in his bank accounts.

Lighten up. It's called, a joke.
No one is wanting any of our players to fail. I'd love if Henson would've became a star for us. But he didn't, get over it.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
They were talking on Sirius this morning about how the Browns deperately need another QB. After Frye, they have Dorsey and a guy named Anderson. Neither of which should be in the NFL. Henson would be a better option, and a fall back if Frye ends up not being the answer.

I don't think the Lions makes sense. I really think Josh McCown will end up the starter in Detroit, before the season is over. this guy is good, IMO. He had the top three most yards thrown games in the NFL last year with the Cardinals. I wanted us to go after him in FA, but we didn't.

The Chiefs would be my other pick for Henson. They have a 37 year old Trent Green, a rookie QB with shoulder problems in Croyle, and let's face it, Henson is a much better prospect than Brodie Croyle, and some Canadian football cast off who is short and tends to run a lot. Henson would really fit in well developing behind Trent Green for a couple of years.

The Saints, who really need something to fall back on if Brees never recovers from that shoulder injury, and after last night, he doesn't look too good.

The Colts. I don't know the status of Sorgi, but he really has looked bad this preseason, and now he is hurt. The have Shaun King, who, is the sole reason the Buccaneers didn't win a title in 2000. Behind Manning, Henson certianly is smart enough to grasp the offense and do the same type of things Manning does. With a few years, it would help insure that if Manning was hurt, that the dropoff would not be so severe, as it is now.

Wherever he goes, if at all, I wish him luck, will follow his progress, and hope for his success.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
I could see him going to Denver and working with Mike Shanahan. If anyone could get something out of Henson, I would think it would be him.