Who Do You Take? Calvin Johnson or Dez Bryant

Ren

Reaction score
Dez will be just as good if not better in a few years, i'd take Dez over him

amart824

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;3702692 said:
Dude, serioiusly, you got to be blind to say that. What a rediculous statement. I have seen enough of his games to say, that, its an idiotic statement to say he doesn't get seperation or isn't tough. He might be injury prone a bit, if thats what lack of toughness is, other than, Calvin is a stud.

ONly reason he is not better is because of the QB situation. But when Stafford is in, he shows up as the stud he is.

THIS. You don't get a nickname like "Megatron" when you're overrated. Calvin is going to be similar to Randy Moss. Once he gets either an elite QB or Stafford evolves into one, and a WR opposite him who's even worth remembering/mentioning, he will be unstoppable and probably set a new single season TD record.

Watching Dez has been the most exciting thing to come out of Dallas in my recent memory. There's no telling how great of a receiver the kid will become. Hands, strength, deep threat, vertical threat and passion for the game?? I know I'm turned on...

Favorite Dez moment so far this season: I believe it was his first catch in the first game of the year. Quick pass to him with Deangelo Hall playing in off coverage. When he came up to make the tackle, Dez threw him down like daddy smacked mommy at the dinner table. He ended up tripping over him and Fletcher got called for a late hit. Still though, I LIKE THIS GUY'S ATTITUDE!

dcboy

Reaction score
Megatron is probably better and may have a higher ceiling, but I would still take Dez because of his fire and passion. We need someone who craves the ball in clutch situations and will naturally fire the team up. I also lean towards the guy who we drafted and developed.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
realtick;3703506 said:
Dear Cowboy homer,

Thanks for your reply. I have to ask though, what's your point? It was your fellow homer (YR) that claimed Miles "really hasn't struggled this year."

I appreciate the strawman that you propped up though, you know, insinuating that I think WRs should have "100 yard games every single week."

Nope, I would say when your No. 1 receiver (Miles Austin) puts up weeks of 2 for 20, 2 for 12, 3 for 38 and 2 for 16, and not to mention not scoring in any of those games, that's struggling.

See, I believe good players can struggle, the great ones just do it less frequently than others.

BTW, that 1 rec. for 13 yards was certainly a poor game for Calvin Johnson. In all fairness though, it's tough when your starting QB gets knocked out and you have Drew Stanton throwing against Derelle Revis. Oh, and in two of those games you mentioned Johnson scored.

Sincerely,
A sane, rational, reasonable board member and football fan.

If Miles is struggling soooo badly, why does he have better stats than Calvin Johnson, the player you tout as being soooo much better than Miles.

Miles: 47 catches 725 yards 2 TD's 63% catch rate
CJ: 49 catches 679 yards 9 TD's 56% catch rate

Or how about last season?

Miles: 81 catches 1320 yards 11 TDs, 65% catch rate
CJ: 67 catches 984 yards 5 TDs, 49% catch rate

So, since 09, the comparisons are:

Miles: 128 catches 2045 yards, 13 TDs, 64% catch rate
CJ: 116 catches, 1663 yards, 14 TDs, 53% catch rate

Gee....I wonder who I would take here :eek:

YR

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
realtick;3703086 said:
Lol, what a bunch of utter nonsense.

"Lol?" Seriously? Grow up.

Unfortunately, the data supporting the tendency for punt return effectiveness to decline after 2 and 3 years, respectively, is very prevalent and...embarassingly, not really contested. Not sure why you'd choose to be a jerk about a pretty standard observation.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
realtick;3702666 said:
Just for fun, but who do you take if you had the choice of making Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson your team's No. 1 receiver?

We all know how great Dez has been in the short amount of time he's been here.

Don't sleep on Calvin Johnson though. His exploits don't get shown too much because he plays in Detroit and has been teamed with horrid QB's most of his brief career (things may change with Stafford).

Your thoughts?
Its Calvin, and we have a WR on this roster thats better than either of em

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3703725 said:
If Miles is struggling soooo badly, why does he have better stats than Calvin Johnson, the player you tout as being soooo much better than Miles.

Miles: 47 catches 725 yards 2 TD's 63% catch rate
CJ: 49 catches 679 yards 9 TD's 56% catch rate

Or how about last season?

Miles: 81 catches 1320 yards 11 TDs, 65% catch rate
CJ: 67 catches 984 yards 5 TDs, 49% catch rate

So, since 09, the comparisons are:

Miles: 128 catches 2045 yards, 13 TDs, 64% catch rate
CJ: 116 catches, 1663 yards, 14 TDs, 53% catch rate

Gee....I wonder who I would take here :eek:

YR

I love posts that make sense. :post:

Thomas82

Reaction score
NeonDeion21;3702773 said:
None of those WR's produced right away like Dez has. The one thing about Dez to keep in mind is that he really only played 1 full year of college football. The sky is truly the limit for him.

:hammer:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both would make me happy.

I think both are talented.

You could go with dez due to age and him getting better with Exp.
You could go with CJ due to him already getting passed the young WR stage of learning the nfl.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.

Dez seems to have more fire in him, but that could turn into a negative if he does not get the ball and starts to become a drama queen. I don't know if CJ has done anything like that on the sidelines and I would imagine that it would have shown by now if he has since he is in detroit.

So again...Either one would make me happy, I am just glad we got one of them and a Miles Austin.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This question is like asking a hunter if he wants to use the Remington 30.6
or the Winchester 30.6. :D

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ShiningStar;3703442 said:
my god, are we really arguing the grass is ALWAYS Greener on the other side?

Let me sum up "IM NEVER HAPPY WTH MY TEAM UNLESS THEY ARE THE BEST AT EVERY POSITION AND WE ALWAYS DRAFT LOSERS"

There ya go for the OP and anyone whos not happy or thinks every other WR is better than ours.
:muttley:

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I haven't watched Calvin play - just highlights. Very impressive.

Dez has great physical talents and ability, and I especially like his intensity.

Fans keep on talking about how the Cowboys need leaders. Dez looks like he has the kind of fire that can ignite an entire team. And this is a team sport.

So even if Dez isn't the equal of Calvin on some measurables, I really like the intangibles that Dez promises to provide in later seasons ....

CowboySwagger

Reaction score
Both are great.....but

I'd take Dez............He has more heart, fire, and is genuinely a humble person that has a great drive and love for this game.

The intangibles is what makes me lean towards Dez.

They both have great abilities and youth.

If CJ is Megatron........Dez is definitely Optimus Prime!

I have great certainty that Dez's body of work in the NFL will cast a huge shadow over CJ's career. But CJ's defense will always be that of Barry Sanders........oh give him some pro bowlers and they would be even better.

IMO it's never about the individuals talent but how they can make a team better mentally.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ZeroClub;3703893 said:
I haven't watched Calvin play - just highlights. Very impressive.

Dez has great physical talents and ability, and I especially like his intensity.

Fans keep on talking about how the Cowboys need leaders. Dez looks like he has the kind of fire that can ignite an entire team. And this is a team sport.

So even if Dez isn't the equal of Calvin on some measurables, I really like the intangibles that Dez promises to provide in later seasons ....

I agree. Seeing Dez going down the sideline talking with teammates reminded me so much of Michael Irvin. You could see the intensity in his face