Woodson on Dak’s Cowboys Contract: 'Pay the Man'

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You do realize run and pass blocking are different?

Our line is good at both, but playing devil's advocate, when even many of his most ardent admirers concede that Dak's greatest strength may be his legs rather than his arm, I'd think better run blocking would be a good thing, wouldn't it?

dfense

Reaction score
I had a wart when I was in college, between work and school I didn't have time to go to the doctor. So, I went to the shop at work, cut it out with a box blade and the grinded a welding rod until it got red hot and stuck it in the middle of the wound. Burned the hell out of it. It never came back and heeled quite nicely. The wart is Linehans offense, it needs to be cut out and his playbook needs to be burned.
The problem with that is, you were so worried about a wart that you didn't stop to realize that your hand sucked. The wart was just a distraction. You should have cut your hand off.

And yes, Dak is the "hand", metaphorically speaking.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The pass protection has been above average.

Dak makes them look bad.
False. It has not been above average consistently. Your Dak hatred is oozing with nonsense. Lol, it's gotten this bad?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Our line is good at both, but playing devil's advocate, when even many of his most ardent admirers concede that Dak's greatest strength may be his legs rather than his arm, I'd think better run blocking would be a good thing, wouldn't it?
If those types of plays were called, but lately it seems to not even be an option.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Wow, Romo owe Woodson money? How many comebacks has each QB led in his career?

I would be willing to bet there are some players on the Romo teams that would take exception with Woodson's characterization of their sideline.

So, you're in a shootout, which QB do you want?

Hmmm game on the line? I'm not sure...really tough question honestly...Dak's got 13 game winning drives in less than 3 years Romo had 29 in his entire career. Dak's only a few from being top 50 in NFL history in game winning drives. Probably doesn't mean much but Dak seems to play very well when the games on the line. He does very well in hurry up.

Bennie

Reaction score
I didn't say his learning rate would change. Not once. Are you being willfully obtuse?

Show of hands, anyone else out there having trouble understanding that once Dak gets a contract that pays him like a top QB then the expectation will become that he plays like one, regardless of where he was drafted? Anyone else struggling with that?

Not really that hard to understand. :)

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Wow, Romo owe Woodson money? How many comebacks has each QB led in his career?

I would be willing to bet there are some players on the Romo teams that would take exception with Woodson's characterization of their sideline.

So, you're in a shootout, which QB do you want?
I’m in a shootout, clearly I want Romo....at least for most of the game, but
I have a lead, need first downs and no turnovers, I want Dak. I have a last possession of the game and need a score to win, that’s a tougher call because my eyes say I want Romo, but his propensity to take needless shots down the field, even at the end of the game bring the turnover into play again...in only 3 years, Dak has been at his best when the game was on the line.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You do realize run and pass blocking are different?
How can anyone not think the O line has been struggling all season?
Personally, I think the O line has underachieved at both.
I honestly agree, it's just funny to see the extremes people take when discussing the two players. Overall the line has been underwhelming but not nearly as bad as the Dak 4ever crowd would have you believe when discussing Dak, nor as good as they would tell you it is when discussing Zeke.

Overall, the line has been adequate/average in both pass blocking and run blocking.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think he was better suited to run his offense with Romo. Dak not so much. That said, he doesn't really bring a lot of innovation to the table.
I get as frustrated with Linehan as the next guy, but the bottom line is that he took a 4th round rookie whom everyone expected to sit a few years and has won 2 division titles in 3 years with him. We all complain about the small pictures with each game and in goal line situations this year, but the big picture results are actually pretty amazing if one considers Dak may suck even half as bad as so many fans tirelessly argue.

If Dak is as bad as fans think, then the OC has done a magic act to win 2 division titles in 3 years.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I honestly agree, it's just funny to see the extremes people take when discussing the two players. Overall the line has been underwhelming but not nearly as bad as the Dak 4ever crowd would have you believe when discussing Dak, nor as good as they would tell you it is when discussing Zeke.

Overall, the line has been adequate/average in both pass blocking and run blocking.
Its the same view I have on Prescott. Everyone blew his 1st season up like he was a HOF shoe in. But the reality is that statistically, all 3 seasons are nearly identical. He may improve, but so far he is what he is. Nothing wrong with that either.
I've been whining about a badass defense for decades.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with that is, you were so worried about a wart that you didn't stop to realize that your hand sucked. The wart was just a distraction. You should have cut your hand off.

And yes, Dak is the "hand", metaphorically speaking.
There are a lot of other things I can do with my hand! Like slap the stupid outta people and pet a little puppy dog...just gotta know what and when to do it!

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't know, he's run high powered offenses in a lot of different situations with a lot of different QB's

if you look at his record as an OC--there's only one stint where he didn't have a highly potent offense.
3 years in Minnesota with Culpepper, they were 2nd, 1st and 4th in offense.

1 year in Miami back in 2005 with (no, I'm not joking) Gus Frerotte as his starter, and they were 14th in offense. Gus Frerotte as the starter, and lead rusher Ronnie Brown, and they managed score about as many points per game as the Cowboys are averaging this year.

His 1st two years in Detroit were Stafford's first 2 years. Stafford was injured a good share of both of those seasons (only played 13 games combined those 2 years) so they struggled a bit. But starting in year 3--Detroit had the 5th, 3rd, and 6th ranked offenses in the league. I repeat--the Detroit Lions had the 5th, 3rd, and 6th ranked offenses in the league, in successive years.

Since Dak became the starter, we've gone from 5th offensively, to 14th, to 23rd.

It's literally the only time in the career of Scott Linehan as an offensive coordinator that an offense he was coaching, got steadily worse the longer he was there.

Is it his fault? You tell me. I know he's an easy scapegoat, for those who are still clinging to the magical rookie season of Dak Prescott.....
I never really followed his career before he came here to be totally honest. I didn't even remember he was the OC for Minn with Culpepper until you wrote that. He's clearly run some high powered offenses in the past. I don't know if it's a matter of Garrett stifling his game-planning/play-calling or if it's Dak, or what...but it ain't pretty.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There are a lot of other things I can do with my hand! Like slap the stupid outta people and pet a little puppy dog...just gotta know what and when to do it!

Yeah, you say that but this, well, this aint my first Rodeo. I don't believe you can ever slap some folks enough to get the stupid out. Lord knows, if you ask my Momma, she will tell you that she tried for a lot of years and yet, here I am.

:laugh:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, you say that but this, well, this aint my first Rodeo. I don't believe you can ever slap some folks enough to get the stupid out. Lord knows, if you ask my Momma, she will tell you that she tried for a lot of years and yet, here I am.

:laugh:
:lmao::lmao::lmao: .
I stand corrected!!
But you can pet pretty puppies!!

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Its the same view I have on Prescott. Everyone blew his 1st season up like he was a HOF shoe in. But the reality is that statistically, all 3 seasons are nearly identical. He may improve, but so far he is what he is. Nothing wrong with that either.
I've been whining about a badass defense for decades.
I agree, he is what he is. I'll disagree with whether or not there's anything wrong with that depending on the contract he is about to get.

The good news is, your badass defense is here, and that's something that's been on my Xmas list for a while as well.