Would you keep it as it is or blow it up?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree the defense needs improved, if not overhauled at this point, and these are 100% team losses and not on any one player. I guess my point goes back to how much did Dak actually impact this season? The guy put up all pro worth stats, and I'm not denying that Dak played at an extremely high level for the majority of the year. Where I go back and forth is in how different would the Cowboys 2023 season had been with Cooper Rush at QB? The vast majority of games were blowouts and the Cowboys had 11 games where the opposing team was held to 20 points or less. One one hand I think its a fair argument that the Cowboys could have still won 10-12 games last year with Rush or Lance at QB and Daks money could be better spent on filling out the rest of the roster. On the other hand it's probably fair to say that the Cowboys defense holding teams to less than 20 that many times and them replicating the number of turnovers/defensive scores again seems slim. I truly go back and forth on that.

And for the record that's not me just wanting to bash Dak. I ask similar questions about almost every QB who gets or is about to get record money as I'm just not a fan of paying QBs that much unless their name ends in Mahomes.
:"One one hand I think its a fair argument that the Cowboys could have still won 10-12 games last year with Rush or Lance at QB and Daks money could be better spent on filling out the rest of the roster. On the other hand it's probably fair to say that the Cowboys defense holding teams to less than 20 that many times and them replicating the number of turnovers/defensive scores again seems slim. I truly go back and forth on that."

And you'd be 100% wrong,

it's not a fair argument, it's a ridiculous argument Lance cant even make the 9ers team over Darnold anther career loser and rush wasn't even targeted as B/U or starer anywhere else ever.

We saw Cooper rush with that type of defense run game offensive line and some crazy special teams barely could put together a touchdown a game, any also had issues with turnovers even though people forget about them.. He or Trey Lance would be completely exposed over a six seven game stretch we might be three and four at best even given the defense would have played great but don't take away the fact that those were blowouts because our quarterback took advantage of all the turnovers instead of three and out and punting over and over and over like we did with Cooper rush....we were bottom 5 in offense, rz%n and 3rd down%..

Great example is the jets had most
everything BUT a QB tried 10 of them the last 2 years and keep going back to Wilson and what did it get them? 7-10 their defense was great kept hem inmany games along with 2 great rbs etc etc you need more than a rush or lance type even with great team. weve seen it many years.. a qb like dak/romo gets you 4-5 more wins a year then a bus driver..

Heres the issue, where WAS this
great play like we saw from Rushes team ie d, sts, ol and run game? Dak came back to have the D blow leads in GB/Jacksonville give up 250 to bears and just not pay well for long stretch, Rush loses all of those IMHO

give that to Dak and he wins them all. The D can NOT play like that all year , STs will have some off games, Dak carried this team so many times this year in one dimensional Offense with inconsistent OL and average or below runs game then the D collapsed in many
games.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It has been irrefutably proven that you aren't getting a parade with him. At least you have a chance by shaking things up.
It’s been proven we’re not getting a parade with the teams we’ve had, especially the defenses. We’ve had two real good QBs with Romo and Dak and it’s been the same problem in the playoffs. I’m fine with shaking things up but not at the QB position until we have a better option. Dak was outstanding this past season but he and the team faltered in the playoffs. It’s been the same problem with every QB we’ve had since we moved on from Aikman. The last couple of times we made the playoffs with him we went one and done because we didn’t have a good enough team. When some of you who want Dak gone come up with a better QB than him, let me know. :thumbup:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Regular season success isn't the goal. It sell baseball caps, t-shirts and helps tv ratings. Yippee.

Chiefs were in the same position we are a few years ago. They moved on from Smith and traded up and drafted a QB. Shock and horror!!!!!

Last time I checked, they are hoisting up multiple super bowl trophies and we are still stuck with the playoff choker. Only we are doubling down now and are going to pay him $55-60M a year??????? Meanwhile in KC they are talking 3 peat.
We’ve already been through this. :rolleyes: The Chiefs moved on from Smith because he was a stopgap. They planned on drafting a young QB to groom and they hit the power ball with Mahomes. You seem to think drafting a QB of his caliber will be easy. Good luck!

blueblood70

Reaction score
It’s been proven we’re not getting a parade with the teams we’ve had, especially the defenses. We’ve had two real good QBs with Romo and Dak and it’s been the same problem in the playoffs. I’m fine with shaking things up but not at the QB position until we have a better option. Dak was outstanding this past season but he and the team faltered in the playoffs. It’s been the same problem with every QB we’ve had since we moved on from Aikman. The last couple of times we made the playoffs with him we went one and done because we didn’t have a good enough team. When some of you who want Dak gone come up with a better QB than him, let me know. :thumbup:
It's because over 17 games a lot of inconsistencies with the team where your quarterback can overcome a lot of it to get to you twelve wins which is probably three to four more wins than your average quarterback's gonna give you with the same team,

but when you get into the playoffs and those same problems pop up like a lack of a run game the offensive line is inconsistent and not physical enough, and then the defense decides to take a giant dump like they did in four or five of the losses... We're being exposed in the playoffs by the very same things that caused a lot of the losses in the regular season and somehow that's a surprise and yet they blame the quarterback as if he forgot how to play quarterback but the truth is he's simply not able to overcome the deficiencies of the team all along the team including the coaching staff the game plans the lack of adjustments or some people in here say it's situational football and clock management problems these things in a one or done situation get you beat by a team that watches enough film to know how to beat you...

Our fan base expects our quarterback to be better than the rest of the team and to be able to create wins, even when the rest of the team plays bad they always point out the quarterback yes he didn't play well but neither did his offensive line the run game the coaching and the defense.

It's not always the same thing we have over the last couple decades lost the playoff games in a lot of different ways either one or two players do dumb things you know like Patrick Creighton or we get games where you know the running back fumbles your Hall of Fame type kicker misses 2 kicks and then your defense can't stop anybody in crunch time., then you have games where your team has 14 penalties it's still no run game still no offensive line and the defense is shaky, and then you had this last game against Green Bay where everything went wrong..

I'd be all for replacing the quarterback like you said if we had a better option which is going to be tough to do and if it guaranteed that none of these other things are going to pop up in crunch time,​
our team finds a way to lose big games throughout the season so why is it a surprise in the postseason? The same exact problems that we had with Arizona ,Buffalo, Miami ,and the 9er games all showed dup in the GB game. And it was 5 deep in issues before Daks lack of playmaking comes into question. yes, he was bad as bad as the rest of them.​
I'd like to have anyone Offer Up a game in the playoffs or a big game where the rest of the team played well in Prescott was the sole reason we lost the game... Show me in that game where we had a strong run game, wide open targets, a strong offensive line, a strong defense, and we're not talking about superstars playing exceptional football, just doing their jobs and Prescott was the only one who failed to show up and play well? I can't for the life of me remember very many games where we can blame the quarterback being the sole reason we lost a game.. maybes there one in the regular season but i cant remember.​

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Unlike you, I'd be looking for a new QB and not sticking with a perpetual choker who gobbles up cap room. Of course I can't name one. That's why you have to search for one. But yeah, I'd sacrifice a year or two and miss the playoffs for the long-term gain of the team because I understand that sometimes you have to do that to improve, and not be afraid to make changes, especially when the status quo has choked time and again. But go ahead, defend the choker. I'm done with you. bye.
You’ll likely be looking for years trying to find a QB that will get us further in the playoffs. We have a “team” problem not a QB problem. If you and some others were running the team we’ll end up with a bevy of QBs we’ll be missing the playoffs every year with. We’ll be playing musical chairs at QB every season. Some of you will have us burning first round picks every 2-3 years trying to find a QB.

blueblood70

Reaction score
We’ve already been through this. :rolleyes: The Chiefs moved on from Smith because he was a stopgap. They planned on drafting a young QB to groom and they hit the power ball with Mahomes. You seem to think drafting a QB of his caliber will be easy. Good luck!
You are correct they keep bringing up Mahomes or some transcendent player like Brady but there are 31 teams looking for quarterbacks like that and they don't grow on trees and I can say with a straight face that Prescott belongs in the conversation with the next group after Mahomes... It's debatable on where you want to rank them and what order but he does belong... None of them including this year's MVP who had one of the best defenses one of the best run games and some of the best coaching staff couldn't find a way to win the big game literally wish that we had that defense in that run game because I believe Prescott probably has a shot at winning those games... It's funny when I remember Josh Allen's best game was against mahomes in the playoffs and they blamed the defense or the overtime rules and said man if things were just a little different Josh Allen would make a Super Bowl what is that what we're saying about our quarterback he still didn't get the job done despite his bad defense or some rules or some strange bounces in overtime...
there are very few players especially at quarterback that can carry a team , despite lack of weapons around him but i saw was Reids play calls, the KC special teams and defense made enough plays to keep the game close and give PM more time to find his game. for 3 qs that O didn't look great at all but eventually Patrick Mahomes greatness surfaced in crunch time just like last year's 2nd half the d and run game overtook philly and then PM took over.​
this also happened for Purdy and the 9er again the lions they were down big but instead of giving up 21 points out of halftime like our d , theirs bowed up, that team made plays and helped Purdy have time to catch up.. Our team folded lie cheap tent and Daks the scapegoat as usual..​

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It will. Because they won't ever get one with him.
No it won’t because we don’t have good enough teams/defenses for any QB to win a SB with. Mahomes couldn’t win a SB with a defense that gives up 41 points in the playoffs. Go look at the SB he lost to Tampa. His team wasn’t good enough and it affected his play. He was terrible.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
how great of a QB is Purdy? remember him? Mr Irrelevant? he’s not the reason that team is dominate…it’s because SF has used resources on the overall team…i would try and build a team under that model, and not overpay the choker we have now

Creeper

Reaction score
False. Mahomes current contract, reworked prior to the start of last season, is $52.65 million APY, second only to Burrows current deal. Slightly ahead of Herbert and Jackson. Dak won’t get $60 million, either will Tua, but they’ll both be joining the “$50 million club”, both slightly ahead of Hurts’ deal. Unfortunately that’s just reality.
My understanding is the Chiefs restructured his deal to move money from later years in his contract up. Then they added two voidable years to spread out the restructured bonus money. From everything I am seeing the total deal value is still $450 million ($477 million with incentives). Of course the Chief could give Patrick an extension at some point using the 2 voidable years and adding money to the overall value of his contract.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Depends on what you want from this team. If you want to win a SB you blow this team up and start trading players for draft picks. They MUST get a top QB to build around. Parsons and Lamb are a complete waste of talent right now. Let them go to contenders. If you just want to put people in the stands sign Dak and put a bag over your head.

Big_D

Reaction score
Didn't the Chiefs used to be in that position for many years?

They built a dynasty. You see a team here in that position? Even with 12 wins a year they can't get over the hump. That's not going to get any easier.

rambo2

Reaction score
They built a dynasty. You see a team here in that position? Even with 12 wins a year they can't get over the hump. That's not going to get any easier.
I see a team that should compete next year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
how great of a QB is Purdy? remember him? Mr Irrelevant? he’s not the reason that team is dominate…it’s because SF has used resources on the overall team…i would try and build a team under that model, and not overpay the choker we have now
SF didn’t trade their 4 best players for draft picks to build their team, which is one of the scenarios you’re suggesting we do. :rolleyes: The 49ers got lucky with Purdy in the 7th round after they failed with a top 3 pick they traded the farm for. Had they not made that mistake they might have built an even better team that could have beat KC. SF didn’t move on from Jimmy G until they found a better QB. Most of the fans here want to let Dak walk, THEN start looking for another QB, which is a recipe for failure.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
SF didn’t trade their 4 best players for draft picks to build their team, which is one of the scenarios you’re suggesting we do. :rolleyes: The 49ers got lucky with Purdy in the 7th round after they failed with a top 3 pick they traded the farm for. Had they not made that mistake they might have built an even better team that could have beat KC. SF didn’t move on from Jimmy G until they found a better QB. Most of the fans here want to let Dak walk, THEN start looking for another QB, which is a recipe for failure.
yes because that bar is low, 1 and done in the playoffs and in embarrasing fashion too.....do you really want to keep paying this guy 50 plus million a year? answer me that?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
yes because that bar is low, 1 and done in the playoffs and in embarrasing fashion too.....do you really want to keep paying this guy 50 plus million a year? answer me that?
I’ll keep paying him until we have someone better. Unlike the majority of this fan base I’m not putting the entire blame on him for the one and done. We were going one and done with Aikman the last few years of his career when we didn’t have good enough teams. It’s been almost 30 years since the Cowboys won a divisional round game and it all wasn’t because of their QBs. No QB is going to win in the playoffs with the defenses we’ve had. Nothing has choked in the playoffs like our defenses.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That last sentence makes a lot of sense, but the problem is they are not going to be in a situation where they are going to draft a developmental QB high because that’s their only method of improving, and they always think they are one draft away.

The next QB that wins with this team will be one drafted very high that they luck into. Whether or not this person is already born is the better question.

Jayinem

Reaction score
I hear how great Dak is and we'll be screwed without him, well if he's that great how come we can't trade him for two first rounders? I don't even think a team would pay one.

Jerry is a Dak only fan anyway. He hates the Cowboys.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That last sentence makes a lot of sense, but the problem is they are not going to be in a situation where they are going to draft a developmental QB high because that’s their only method of improving, and they always think they are one draft away.

The next QB that wins with this team will be one drafted very high that they luck into. Whether or not this person is already born is the better question.
SF proved you don’t have to draft a QB high to find a good one. The Cowboys traded a 4th round pick for a developmental QB. I wouldn’t go as far as to say the next QB we win with will be drafted high. Craig Morton, Troy, Aikman, and Steve Walsh are the only QBs the Cowboys have ever used a first round pick on.