Would you trade Zeke for a 2nd round pick?

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
future caps which are far higher matter a lot less than this tighter cap and defense definitely needs help you have to have to get a RB that can handle the insane load Zeke does as a rusher, receiver and blocker....

so no, there's zero way i take a major hit in cap space to get worse at RB.

people lie to themselves about the level at which Zeke is playing and his overall contribution.
he wasn't a top 5 RB for the first time ever but he was still top 10 easily.
he still ended up with 1317 yards from scrimmage and 8 TDs with plus pass protection.

again you restructure his cap hit down to 6M and draft a RB mid to late draft. --you have 9 or 10 total picks.
you get 2 years of service then release him.
We don't even know what the cap will be this year or next year so how can you say it's way higher? From what I've read they are spreading out cap reduction over multiple years and instead of the cap dropping it will instead stagnate for 3 years or so. Getting a 2nd for Zeke would be too good a deal to pass up. We can use a couple of the later comp picks to find complementary backs for Pollard.

Last edited:

Eddie

Reaction score
If a team in the early to middle of the 2nd round offer their 2nd round pick for Zeke do you take it?

Regardless of the cap hit, no one is going to trade a prime draft pick for an aging RB. They can get a cheap, young, and fresh RB in the 2nd round that can carry the load for the next 4 years.

Zeke has hit the RB wall. Everyone knew it ... except Jerry.

aria

Reaction score
I'm interested to see if Covid affected him. Something dang sure did.
Yeah, his contract, not having a top 5 O line and getting “low key faded” while supposedly recovering from COVID. The guy had COVID ~6-7 months ago, there are players that had it weeks ago and I haven’t heard any excuses for them.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the new laxed drug testing policy had something to do with it as well.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
No...replace the 3rd string Oline we had with the actual starters and he will be more than serviceable. Top 3 back...probably not anymore but still more of a threat than any 2nd rounder would give you.

If you ever thought to blame Zeke's ineffectiveness on the OL then hold your breath, count to 10, and tell yourself I will no longer think silly thoughts.

aria

Reaction score
If you ever thought to blame Zeke's ineffectiveness on the OL then hold your breath, count to 10, and tell yourself I will no longer think silly thoughts.

Hmmmmmm....say it ain’t so! I thought zeke had the worst line in the league. Seems this article agrees with your chart above but the zeke apologists and excuse makers don’t believe in stats unless they cast zeke in a favorable light. Too bad they have to go back 4-5 years to find anything.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...-run-blocking-teams-by-expected-rushing-yards

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately you take a 10.8 mil cap hit if you trade Zeke.

so for that alone I wouldn’t.

Zeke can’t be moved on from until after next season
And that is fine. HE is still a good RB that can help this team....if both HE and THE TEAM get their act together about it.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
It is so obvious that is is fat and slow and out of shape. People only defend him out of blind hope and homerism. Just try to remember what he was like as a rookie. He used to fly through the air hurdling people. He used to explode to the end zone like a bullet. He was amazing. Too bad it is ancient history.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And yet this "great o-line" got two QB's killed forma collapsed pocket.

Your fancy chart is real cool....like you really look like you know what your doing kid. But there is enough blame for a lackluster running game to go around for everyone....Zeke, anemic coaches/play-calling, injuries/rotating O-line...oh and the kid had covid too?

Let's find some fancy stats so we can not blame anyone else but Zeke, right?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is so obvious that is is fat and slow and out of shape. People only defend him out of blind hope and homerism. Just try to remember what he was like as a rookie. He used to fly through the air hurdling people. He used to explode to the end zone like a bullet. He was amazing. Too bad it is ancient history.

I was his biggest fan. Now? Not so much. But I'm not the kind of person to turn on him so easily.He's gonna be here at least one more year. I'm going to cheer him to get back to form. Maybe without contacting covid this year, a healthy Dak and consistent o-line... and a coaching staff that can figure out how to build an aggressive running game.

People like you are miserable about it and go out of their way incessantly to make others as miserable about it as you are.

The alternative is you actually enjoy being a whiny crybaby.

plasticman

Reaction score
As I've previously stated, I would not evaluate anyone based on this weird twisted season. Let's just move on to a real NFL season in 2021.

aria

Reaction score
As I've previously stated, I would not evaluate anyone based on this weird twisted season. Let's just move on to a real NFL season in 2021.
I bet you would if he rushed for 1500+ yards.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I was his biggest fan. Now? Not so much. But I'm not the kind of person to turn on him so easily.He's gonna be here at least one more year. I'm going to cheer him to get back to form. Maybe without contacting covid this year, a healthy Dak and consistent o-line... and a coaching staff that can figure out how to build an aggressive running game.

People like you are miserable about it and go out of their way incessantly to make others as miserable about it as you are.

The alternative is you actually enjoy being a whiny crybaby.
Go ahead and cheer for you fat little hero boy. His is gonna have to earn it for me.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Unfortunately you take a 10.8 mil cap hit if you trade Zeke.

so for that alone I wouldn’t.

Zeke can’t be moved on from until after next season

Exactly, unless we were able to rework his contract to help fix that, I think we're stuck with Zeke for the next few seasons.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
If Zeke cannot regain his form in 2021, it's seriously time to consider cutting ties and moving on.

kskboys

Reaction score
Tony Pollard plus a draft pick or a free agent behind a better OL with Dak would be more than good enough and far cheaper.
It wouldn't be. Pollard is simply not a bell cow back. However, he'd be great as part of a tandem, teamed w/ a tough, no nonsense grinder. A Rashard Jennings type comes to mind.

aria

Reaction score
The Giants had a better overall ypc average, and had only 30 less rushing attempts, behind an arguably significantly worse run blocking line than the Cowboys.

You guys get that? Wayne Gallman and Alfred Morris had a better ypc, with the OC that everyone hates, than Pollard and zeke. That’s some money well spent by the Cowboys for a non elite, average “bell cow” back. IMOF, you can’t even call him a bell cow back, bell cows don’t tap out every other game.

Here’s the list of all the teams overall rushing stats, you can slide it over to see the ypc, td’s, etc.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/rushing/2020/reg/all

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Who said it's just been one weird season?
He's been bad for awhile now.

His closest comp the last three seasons has been Gurley. Who if you remember was cut before last season.
This graph also doesn't highlight how less developed as a receiver he is.