Would you trade Zeke for a 2nd round pick?

MLB53

Reaction score
If a team in the early to middle of the 2nd round offer their 2nd round pick for Zeke do you take it?

Wasn't ppl on this forum screaming sign Zeke sign zeke just a couple of years ago and didn't care what it cost, well payday comes sooner or later

TwentyOne

Reaction score
If a team in the early to middle of the 2nd round offer their 2nd round pick for Zeke do you take it?

In a heartbeat.
But you'd rather have to give up a pick for some other team to take him.

Nobody will trade for this kind of cxontract especially with a back who showed a decline over the last 2 seasons in his game.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL...I've seen that. Good stuff! He might have been a prophet? :p

DICpbslXcAEikXW.jpg

Creeper

Reaction score
Cooper costs less than that if you restructure him.
So you create less cap space to get rid of a top 10 WR.
Silliness.

Restructuring only makes his cap impact less now, but it increases his cap impact in the future. Cooper is due $20 million in salary for the next 4 years. If you move his salary to bonus in 2021 all you are doing is making his CAP number bigger next year and the 3 years after that. Cooper was 12th in the league in receiving yards this year (among WRs), he had 5 TDs which puts him in the 30s among WRs. He is around 20 in YAC, and about 12th in fist downs. He is #4 in average salary. Cooper is a good receiver, but he is not worth $20 million a year or $22 million against the CAP. I think $4 million per TD is excessive.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Restructuring only makes his cap impact less now, but it increases his cap impact in the future. Cooper is due $20 million in salary for the next 4 years. If you move his salary to bonus in 2021 all you are doing is making his CAP number bigger next year and the 3 years after that. Cooper was 12th in the league in receiving yards this year (among WRs), he had 5 TDs which puts him in the 30s among WRs. He is around 20 in YAC, and about 12th in fist downs. He is #4 in average salary. Cooper is a good receiver, but he is not worth $20 million a year or $22 million against the CAP. I think $4 million per TD is excessive.
Cooper is an elite player and WR. He had to play all but 5 games with a back up and couple of games with deep back ups. With Dak he averaged right at 100 yards per game. A pace that would have led the league.
With the 14th most targets he produced the 9th most catches and 12th most yards. He had 92 catches with only 3 drops. An area that DAL struggled in as CeeDee and Gallup both have focus issues at times.

Amari's deal was designed to restructure.
Moving his cap hit out is exactly what you do.
Then in the final year you release him wiping off the 4th year and 20M while eating some dead money versus that wipe.

Credit card style cap spending is generally a bad idea. It's what caught up with Philly.
BUT if there is a time you do it,. it is in a pandemic reduced cap after you have negotiated a 100+BILLION broadcast rights deal to start in 2023.

Amari's cap hit in 2020 was only 14th highest at WR.
It'll be even lower in 2021.

Stop watching these dudes pockets. It's silly and pointless because they don;t get all the money on these deals most of the time.
It's cheaper to restructure Amari (7M cap hit) than it is trade him(8M cap hit).

The 2024 salary cap may well be DOUBLE this year's cap and you can afford to eat dead money then.

Creeper

Reaction score
Cooper is an elite player and WR. He had to play all but 5 games with a back up and couple of games with deep back ups. With Dak he averaged right at 100 yards per game. A pace that would have led the league.
With the 14th most targets he produced the 9th most catches and 12th most yards. He had 92 catches with only 3 drops. An area that DAL struggled in as CeeDee and Gallup both have focus issues at times.

Amari's deal was designed to restructure.
Moving his cap hit out is exactly what you do.
Then in the final year you release him wiping off the 4th year and 20M while eating some dead money versus that wipe.

Credit card style cap spending is generally a bad idea. It's what caught up with Philly.
BUT if there is a time you do it,. it is in a pandemic reduced cap after you have negotiated a 100+BILLION broadcast rights deal to start in 2023.

Amari's cap hit in 2020 was only 14th highest at WR.
It'll be even lower in 2021.

Stop watching these dudes pockets. It's silly and pointless because they don;t get all the money on these deals most of the time.
It's cheaper to restructure Amari (7M cap hit) than it is trade him(8M cap hit).

The 2024 salary cap may well be DOUBLE this year's cap and you can afford to eat dead money then.

Well, we disagree. Cooper is not an elite WR to me. He is good, even very good, but I do not put him in the same class as Davante Adams, DeAndre Hopkins or Stephon Diggs.

And for the record, his 2020 cap impact was $12 million. His 2021 cap impact is $22 million unless they restructure him. And if they do, his 2022 impact will be even more than $22 million.

Restructuring is not a bad thing, unless you have several other bad contracts that are eating up your cap space, and the Cowboys do. At some point they are going to have to deal with this problem, and since they were an 8-8 team last year, and a 6-10 this year, it seems to me now is the time to start clearing some cap room.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Amazing how opinions can differ so greatly.

From a purely objective POV, he has zero trade value because of the contract vs decline in production.

Yet others wouldn't move him for a 2nd.

If we didnt have him, what would you be willing to trade for a declining RB who eats up 15m or whatever in cap space?

That's his trade value, and its zero.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Well, we disagree. Cooper is not an elite WR to me. He is good, even very good, but I do not put him in the same class as Davante Adams, DeAndre Hopkins or Stephon Diggs.

And for the record, his 2020 cap impact was $12 million. His 2021 cap impact is $22 million unless they restructure him. And if they do, his 2022 impact will be even more than $22 million.

Restructuring is not a bad thing, unless you have several other bad contracts that are eating up your cap space, and the Cowboys do. At some point they are going to have to deal with this problem, and since they were an 8-8 team last year, and a 6-10 this year, it seems to me now is the time to start clearing some cap room.
I'm not a fan and I've said it many times, but the guy is an excellent receiver. Top 5? No, but he was very good this year and has been productive overall.

I'll go ahead and say he was worth the cost to acquire him. He saved 2018 on his own.

That all said, when he was given that deal, there was no way to know Lamb would end up here. Even so, although I was against it, bringing him back was the right move.

That all said, the contract is the opposite of Elliots and the team can part ways after 2021 without serious ramifications....and unless some sort of miracle happens...

That cap space needs to be devoted to defense.

I don't see them getting much better this offseason as they rely on only the draft to acquire players.

If 2021 is a repeat of 2020 for this team, I don't see how the argument could be made otherwise.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
If it meant unloading his salary then yes. The Pats have won a bunch of SB’s and never had a stud back. Always RB by committee and it works if you have a smart QB who avoids TO’s and manages the game. I think Dak can be that QB.

Bigtex67

Reaction score
We seem to always be hit with that lol. Jerry never comes out on the side of a good contract. Name 1 person in the last 4 years whom Jerry signed to a big contract and we could actually trade for something worth while lol.

Zach Martin