WR Matt Jones will fight for one of the remaining spots w/JAGs

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CountryBoy1;2109531 said:
Poor Matt...seems like a real Love/Hate relationship on this board. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem bringing him in to see what he could do...might be a cheap solution for the team and help us immediately.

Welcome aboard!

:shake:

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
stasheroo;2109567 said:
Welcome aboard!

:shake:
Thanks. Keep up the campaign. I hope someone in the front office thinks the same way and at least brings him in to look at the possibilities. Who knows, a lot of players don't come into their own until they are cut and move on to the second team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CountryBoy1;2109574 said:
Thanks. Keep up the campaign. I hope someone in the front office thinks the same way and at least brings him in to look at the possibilities. Who knows, a lot of players don't come into their own until they are cut and move on to the second team.

Much appreciated.

Hopefully someone will eventually see one of these posts and at least entertain the idea.

:pc:

And I agree, plenty of players have underachieved with one team and flourished with another.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Gryphon;2108044 said:
Source: http://www.rototimes.com

Jerry Porter and Reggie Williams are the likely starting receivers for Jacksonville this season, according to Jaguars.com. If that holds true, then Dennis Northcutt would likely move into the slot role as the number three receiver, with promising second-year pro Mike Walker following him on the depth chart at four. Troy Williamson, Matt Jones, and John Broussard will fight for the remaining spots, which may only be one.

Well, if all that's true, Matt Jones becomes available only if he cannot beat out Williamson and Broussard.

And if Matt Jones can't beat out Williamson and Broussard, Jones probably isn't worth more than a quarter bag of peanuts to the Cowboys.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ZeroClub;2109583 said:
Well, if all that's true, Matt Jones becomes available only if he cannot beat out Williamson and Broussard.

And if Matt Jones can't beat out Williamson and Broussard, Jones probably isn't worth more than a quarter bag of peanuts to the Cowboys.

I doubt that would keep jones over Williamson considering they traded for Williamson

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2109585 said:
I doubt that would keep jones over Williamson considering they traded for Williamson

There you go!

And so the official market value for Matt Jones now stands at 1/4 bag of peanuts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ZeroClub;2109583 said:

He's not worth it to Jacksonville, but that doesn't mean he's worthless.

It goes back to the question of how many receivers have excelled in Jacksonville recently?

This whole thing comes down to risk/reward just like many other recent Cowboys moves.

The reasons may be different, but the same scenario applies.

Is the reward that Jones could bring greater than risking a 6th round draft pick?

:confused:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You guys are going by what was being said about him when he was drafted and not what he is right now.

He is a quitter right now and if he indeed feels that he is being treated poorly in Jax all he is doing is a wonderful job of laying down and taking it.

It doesn't really matter because Del Rio is going to keep him and see what he cannot do between now and TC.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
stasheroo;2109614 said:
He's not worth it to Jacksonville, but that doesn't mean he's worthless.

It goes back to the question of how many receivers have excelled in Jacksonville recently?

This whole thing comes down to risk/reward just like many other recent Cowboys moves.

The reasons may be different, but the same scenario applies.

Is the reward that Jones could bring greater than risking a 6th round draft pick?

:confused:

i would rather use that 6th to move up in the third round then wsate it on the quitting pansy.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ZeroClub;2109587 said:
There you go!

And so the official market value for Matt Jones now stands at 1/4 bag of peanuts.

Okay your saying that like it's a bad thing. A cheap investment for someone with such gifted talents and abilities.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2109619 said:
You guys are going by what was being said about him when he was drafted and not what he is right now.

He is a quitter right now and if he indeed feels that he is being treated poorly in Jax all he is doing is a wonderful job of laying down and taking it.

It doesn't really matter because Del Rio is going to keep him and see what he cannot do between now and TC.

So a change of scenery wouldn't fix his little problems?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2109621 said:
i would rather use that 6th to move up in the third round then wsate it on the quitting pansy.

And cross your fingers that Terry Glenn can actually play, I know.....

:rolleyes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2109619 said:

Del Rio's hand could be forced by making a trade offer public.

That would put the pressure on The Jags to keep him or trade him.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2109624 said:
So a change of scenery wouldn't fix his little problems?

it may for a bit but whats he going to do the next time the rowing gets tough? Its not when situations are perfect that character is revealed but in situations like they are now for him.

And what is he doing it?

Matt Jones had one of the worst practice performances that any of the coaches had ever witnessed.

These are huge glaring ON THE FIELD character concerns and that is only part of the problem.

He still shies from contact, doesn't want to block or run routes when he isn't the primary target, runs poor routes and has suspect hands and concentration.

About all you cna point to is his combine measurables and his stats when he is getting 10 times the attempts as the guys you are comparing him to.

AT BEST, the dude is a project but really I would rather not have him here dogging it too.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
stasheroo;2109625 said:
And cross your fingers that Terry Glenn can actually play, I know.....

:rolleyes:

Glenn didn't play last year :rolleyes:

im not crossing my fingers for anything except Hurd/Austin/Stanback to continue developing and whats sad is you think that Jones can provide anywhere near what Glenn can when healthy.

And making a trade offer public isnt going to do anything. Del Rio said they are going to keep him and see if he can turn it around.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2109628 said:
it may for a bit but whats he going to do the next time the rowing gets tough? Its not when situations are perfect that character is revealed but in situations like they are now for him.

And what is he doing it?

Pretty tough when you outperform the other receivers and still can't get a starting role.

I'd be discouraged too.

FuzzyLumpkins said:
These are huge glaring ON THE FIELD character concerns and that is only part of the problem.

He still shies from contact, doesn't want to block or run routes when he isn't the primary target, runs poor routes and has suspect hands and concentration.

I don't know, the guy did a great job when he got his last opportunity. And for 'suspect hands', his catch % numbers for 2006 were better than Plaxico Burress' and comparable to Terrell Owens'.

FuzzyLumpkins said:
About all you cna point to is his combine measurables and his stats when he is getting 10 times the attempts as the guys you are comparing him to.

AT BEST, the dude is a project but really I would rather not have him here dogging it too.

And who better to work with a "project" than Ray Sherman?

Even as a "project" as you say, Jones has better numbers than Hurd, Austin and Stanback combined.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2109628 said:

And what is he doing it?

you must have been one of those people who thought TO would destroy our locker room.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
stasheroo;2109634 said:
Pretty tough when you outperform the other receivers and still can't get a starting role.

I'd be discouraged too.

I don't know, the guy did a great job when he got his last opportunity. And for 'suspect hands', his catch % numbers for 2006 were better than Plaxico Burress' and comparable to Terrell Owens'.

And who better to work with a "project" than Ray Sherman?

Even as a "project" as you say, Jones has better numbers than Hurd, Austin and Stanback combined.

There is more to playing WR than catching the ball. Like running the routes you are asked to and blocking. Two things he doesn't like to do. He got benched as a wake up call.

Will you shut up with comparing our WR numbers with his. The argument blows and you should know that. It has ZERO context.

How about you compare the number of snaps each got and then compare the numbers or something meaningful and not compare guys that barely got any snaps to a guy that got nearly half the snaps last season.

oh and how on Earth can you say that he performed well after he was activated again? He had 7 whole catches in the next 5 games. BRAVO.

i suppose your looking at that 8 catch game against the Dante Robinson-less Texans who didnt give a flip with the Jags team with something still to play for.

Whatever man the guy is a colossal flop and its not as if he has ever been something. He just insnt very good before you consider hes an ON THE FIELD headcase.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2109637 said:
you must have been one of those people who thought TO would destroy our locker room.

Thats just a stupid statement. I have an issue with ON THE FIELD character concerns. Like guys that don't play/practice hard or are afraid of contact.

The fact that TO is the anti-Matt Jones is precisely why I thought he would work well. Same with Pacman. They aren't soft pansies.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2109631 said:
Glenn didn't play last year :rolleyes:

im not crossing my fingers for anything except Hurd/Austin/Stanback to continue developing and whats sad is you think that Jones can provide anywhere near what Glenn can when healthy.

Again, Jones has done more than those three combined.

FuzzyLumpkins said:
And making a trade offer public isnt going to do anything. Del Rio said they are going to keep him and see if he can turn it around.

It would force their hand. They couldn't decline a trade offer and then turn around and cut him.