Young's handlers aren't handling their business

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Steve Young using just games when he was the starter and not years where he played some off the bench had:

568 carries over 128 games or 4 carries per game on average

Vick has 404 in 58 games or 7 per game average.

Most runs in a season Young 70, Vick 120

Vicks lowest where he played most of the season is 113 70 still highest for Young

Right now VY IS just a running QB
You are simply wrong, he can't put up the passing stats he did if he just ran.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
fortdick said:
Pseudonyms:

Pocket QB - White

Runners - Black

Now, that being said, I am going to say what no one wants to say, but it is the biggest concern:

Character!

Look at all the players that have had issues with the law, or whatever. There have been some Pocket QB's, but by far the issues have been with the Runners. I, for one, would be concerned that a Running QB might repeat a QC.

Is that racist of me? Maybe, but it makes it no less real. Growing up in the inner city, underpriviledged, discrimated against, all that, is a definate disadvantage, but many Black athletes overcome it and become good role models for our children. My son grew up with Michael Jordan stuff all over and I felt good about it. Fortunately, he was smart enough to see that the gang bangin', saggy pants, Ho' slappin', hat on crooked types were trouble. Emmit Smith is someone to be proud of, Michael Irvin was not!

That is the bottom line with Young. He talks like he is in the ghetto and not ready to lead men in the huddle. You have to look at character. Why did Branch Rickey take Jackie Robinson over Satchel Paige? Character! Robinson displayed the strength to take the heat and rise above it. He didn't alienate people of other races. A college grad and war hero. He opened doors by being everyone's hero, not just the Black man's hero.

Bottom line is this; Michael Vick (AKA Ron Mexico) doesn't want to be the complete QB. He wants to be a Running QB. Look at the little brother if you want to know what I am talking about. Dante Culpepper lost control of himself and the team. He is irresponsible and lacks character. Aside from Don Meredith, I can't think of a Pocket QB that has made those mistakes.

Randall Cunningham is the Black QB everyone should look to has the standard. Yes, he can scramble, and that makes him dangerous. But he is not a Runner, he is a Pocket QB first. He leads his team with character and leadership. He accepts responsibility for the role he is in.

I have gone on enough. Character counts, and that is what Leinart has over Young. It is what Bledsoe has over Carter. It is the barrier that Black athletes have to get over as a group.

I do have to say that the image NBA is the biggest anchor around Black athelte's necks. There, I am done. Please don't ban me.
HOLY CRAP FORTDICK IS THE SMARTEST COWBOYSZONER EVER.
I THINK YOU JUST CHANNELED MY BRAIN AS YOU WROTE THIS. I DONT THINK I EVER READ A POST SO TRUE AND VERY TACTFULLY STATED.

FORTDICK, YOU HAVE BEEN AWARDED THE GREATEST POST I HAVE EVER READ DURING MY LONG TENURE HERE.

CONGRATS AND THANK YOU.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

It's ALL about character.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
So vick rushes 3 more times a start than young? Wow, what a difference. I'm not even a Vick fan, and he is the worst example of mobile qbs today. Why not compare young to Mcnabb or Culpepper or another black qb that has developed his game?

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
HOLY CRAP FORTDICK IS THE SMARTEST COWBOYSZONER EVER.
I THINK YOU JUST CHANNELED MY BRAIN AS YOU WROTE THIS. I DONT THINK I EVER READ A POST SO TRUE AND VERY TACTFULLY STATED.

FORTDICK, YOU HAVE BEEN AWARDED THE GREATEST POST I HAVE EVER READ DURING MY LONG TENURE HERE.

CONGRATS AND THANK YOU.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

It's ALL about character.

Garbage and inaccurate.

Kerry Collins - Pocket QB - Alcoholic
Brett Favre - Pocket QB - Alcohol/Vicadin
Todd Marinovich - Pocket QB - Marijuana
Ryan Leaf - Pocket QB - Anger management/Attitude

Here's some more high character pocket QB's.

http://www.knbr.com/blog/blog/Printe....asp?Entry=593

Where's this character flaw Young has again?

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Tio said:
So...why are you not a fan of taking Young?
Actually I just think Young is a phenom at the college ranks but not at the pro level. His performance in the Bowl game only exacerbated the hype and someone will pay dearly for buying it, IMO.

And he does speak like an individual who is not very bright which is a key factor in leadership and QB performance.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
5Stars said:
Steve Young...or the other guy? I would take Steve Young...:lmao:
VY, you know, the kid who hasn't had any off the field issues and is generally regarded as the best leader in CFB?

Party Boy lienhart really has got an advantage over VY in the character department:rolleyes:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Tio said:
VY, you know, the kid who hasn't had any off the field issues and is generally regarded as the best leader in CFB?

Party Boy lienhart really has got an advantage over VY in the character department:rolleyes:

OK! Vince Young it is! But, he better be good!

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
5Stars said:
OK! Vince Young it is! But, he better be good!
I actually thought we had a chance at him...then the Rose Bowl happened....

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Tio said:
I actually thought we had a chance at him...then the Rose Bowl happened....

If UT had not won the Rose Bowl.....I doubt VY would have entered the draft.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
I know this won't be popular with all the Texas fans here but....

Young is a phenominal athlete but he is NOT and NFL-ready QB. Like Vick he is a runner first and a QB second. His deep ball is severely lacking as is his accuracy when compared with the other top QBs in the draft. Matt Leinart is a true franchise QB and will be the first QB picked in the draft, probably by the Saints. Young will likely go to the Titans where he can sit behind McNair for a year or three while coming in like Kordell Stewart used to for the Steelers.

Great athletes do not usually make great QBs because they rely on their athletic ability too much and do not focus on learning the subtleties of the QB position. You can get away with that in college but not in the NFL.

Sorry to burst your bubble UT fans but that's the way I see it.

Terrific... next, your assignment is to show us why any of us should take you seriously...

I say that because I am indeed a serious Horns fan, and I watched a whole bunch of their games this year, and it seems to me that Vince more than adequately laid to rest almost all of your criticisms... I mean, it's hard to rank 3rd in all of Division I ball in quarterback rating if you're so "inaccurate"... as for the claim that he's a runner first and a QB second, I'll just note that he threw 325 passes last year, and only carried the ball 155 times (roughly 12 times a game)... and of course, the way the NCAA does their stats, any sack is counted as a running play, so that means that he dropped back to pass more than twice as often as he ran the ball...

Which is sufficient, I think, to demonstrate that your theory is completely full of bovine fecal matter...

silverbear

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
I also thought he should stay in college another year and work on his passing. He put up excellent numbers but the times I watched him he threw a lot of short passes, which he is very good at, but missed most of his deep throws badly. Granted I only saw him play a couple of times but that is all I have to go by.

Since you admit that your input is limited, how 'bout I fill in some of the blanks for you?? Be warned, they are not favorable to your theory...

In 2005, Vince Young completed 212 passes... 44 of those (3.3 per game) went for over 20 yards... 17 went for over 30 yards (1.3 per game)... 10 went for over 40 yards... 4 of them went for 55 yards or more, the long went for 75...

For a guy who "missed most of his deep throws badly", he sure does have a lot of deep completions to his credit (of course, some of these were due mostly to yards after the catch, but only a few of them)...

If you complete 65 per cent of your passes, you're plenty accurate; if you complete an average of over 1 30 yard plus pass per game, you're showing some ability to go downfield...

All that said, I wanted Vince to return for his senior season too, but for purely selfish reasons-- I wanted the Horns to make another run at a national championship, and that's pretty tough to do with a freshman QB...

silverbear

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Vince Young is a bust and apparently anyone who thinks so is a racist.:rolleyes:

Naw, just an idiot... those who HOPE that he's a bust, because of his race, are the racists...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Please show me which Drafts Jerry has moved up in during his time here so he could take a Texas player to sell jerseys.

Even one.........

OK, but first you show me the times where he's speculated in public about the marketing potential of a Texas state ballplayer, like he reportedly did with Vince at the Senior Bowl...

Seriously, hos, we ALL know that Jerry is the consumate marketer, would you really have us believe he hasn't given the marketing potential of Vince Young a passing thought??

silverbear

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I have seen WR for Young be wideopen without a defender even in the picture and have seen him flat out miss the guy.

Wow, and he STILL completed over 65 per cent of his passes...

Obviously, that didn't happen all that often... and I've seen Troy in his prime miss a few wide open receivers as well...

The measure of anti-Horns bias on message boards these days is the way folks have to make crap up about Vince:

1) He's "not accurate", yet he completed over 65 per cent of his passes...

2) He throws a bad deep ball, yet he completed 17 passes in 13 games of over 30 yards...

3) He's a run-first type of athlete masquerading as a quarterback, yet he threw the ball more than twice as often as he ran it last year...

Every year, there is an unofficial, unorganized conspiracy to trash whatever Horns players are considered high draft picks... facts are usually in short supply for these Horns haters, but they don't let that stop them...

And the one thing these propagandists don't try to dispute is that Vince is a WINNER, a team LEADER... but no, the Cowboys couldn't use that kind of leadership...

silverbear

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
He became a complete QB while maintaining his running ability. Same with Staubach. Vince Young will have to do the same thing. I don't see why he can't, but there is no guarantee. That is the chance you take. I think every QB has to become a complete QB to be successful.

Folks, that right there is the fairest criticism I've seen of Vince Young to date... well said, Joseephus...