Zack Martin on his contract: We'll see where it goes

Flamma

Reaction score
No OG is worth the price the market is saying right now.
Love the guy but OG is the easiest position to replace on offense. I would hate to strapped to a 14m per year OG contract for 5 years. Gag
I would franchise him if I had to and then try to trade him. I spend that money on DLaw before I spent it on Martin if I have to choose. We will also have Zeke and Daks next contract looming shortly. OG, even the best one in the game, is quite a ways down on my priority list.

I agree they aren't too hard to replace, but not with his kind of talent. We can get a serviceable or better than average OG for a ton less I agree. But we don't just have any RB, I'd love to continue to see him run behind the best. I want to create the perfect storm and we have some pretty mean *** DTs throughout the league, I'd hate to see a serviceable OG try to push them around. I actually believe the "any decent OG will do" mindset creates high paid DTs.

pancakeman

Reaction score
"We'll see where this goes". Cryptic? Esoteric? Not at all. Translation...show me the money. Have we learned nothing over the years. It's always about the money. Signing him will be problematic. No home discount here.
I thought that from the headline too, but less so from the additional context of the quote in the article.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
For Dallas to get the deal done it will likely be at or around the contract Norwell of Jacksonville is getting

Andrew Norwell signed a 5 year, $66,500,000 contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, including a $15,000,000 signing bonus, $30,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,300,000. In 2018, Norwell will earn a base salary of $2,000,000 and a signing bonus of $15,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,000,000 and a dead cap value of $30,000,000.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/contract-value/guard/

jrumann59

Reaction score
For Dallas to get the deal done it will likely be at or around the contract Norwell of Jacksonville is getting

Andrew Norwell signed a 5 year, $66,500,000 contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, including a $15,000,000 signing bonus, $30,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,300,000. In 2018, Norwell will earn a base salary of $2,000,000 and a signing bonus of $15,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,000,000 and a dead cap value of $30,000,000.

I think Zack wants 15 mil AAV. Sign him to a 7 year 105 mil with 35 guaranteed

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

I'm guessing this is likely Zack's floor.......maybe it's just wishing on my part but I can't imagine Zack turning an offer just a little above these numbers.

cern

Reaction score
zack's agent will expect that his client will be the highest paid guard (maybe highest paid 0-lineman) with a huge guarantee. that's why the connor Williams draft pick was so important to us. not only closes a hole, but provides insurance for the future should zack take a hike. and that's very likely.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At what point will, potentially, the highest paid OL in NFL history prevent this team from filling out the team? La'el Collins up next and what to do about Lawrence and what about Dak's next contract?

They simply cannot pay everybody and Martin would have been excellent trade bait but they would have had to do that before the draft and add another OL. They trade him now, who steps in? Unless they could trade him for a pick and a RG from another team.

Can any team have the highest paid OL in the league and contend? Can a team so top heavy on offense with the cap field a D of championship caliber?

1nfljunky

Reaction score
At what point will, potentially, the highest paid OL in NFL history prevent this team from filling out the team? La'el Collins up next and what to do about Lawrence and what about Dak's next contract?

They simply cannot pay everybody and Martin would have been excellent trade bait but they would have had to do that before the draft and add another OL. They trade him now, who steps in? Unless they could trade him for a pick and a RG from another team.

Can any team have the highest paid OL in the league and contend? Can a team so top heavy on offense with the cap field a D of championship caliber?
No, you can’t. And in the next two years you’ll have to pay a QB (who may or may not be a franchise guy) and a star RB. While the cats out of the bag for the QB position you’d better prey the Steelers don’t give Bell $14/per. If so half your FA will walk.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Extend Zack Martin
2. Trade for Earl Thomas
3. Sign Jonathan Hankins
4. Win Super Bowl

What can the Cowboys offer for Earl Thomas that they couldn't before the draft? Seems now that the draft has passed they actually have less to offer. An immediate draft pick or two carries more weight than a future one.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I just haven't seen it anywhere. Stop being defensive. It's not like you get your news from the drama queens around here that post. Funny how you can't prove what you say though.
I can prove it. Simply refuse to do your homework for you. I'm sure you've seen several articles mentioning as much on the internet, but I get it. It's unconscionable to fans like yourself to even think that Zack might one day be gone simply because he is demanding the whole farm.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I can prove it. Simply refuse to do your homework for you. I'm sure you've seen several articles mentioning as much on the internet, but I get it. It's unconscionable to fans like yourself to even think that Zack might one day be gone simply because he is demanding the whole farm.
So you think you can say whatever you want and everyone else has to accept it as fact? Gotcha. No one except you is saying, "Zack Martin and his agent are trying to milk the team for everything it's got". That's your made up BS. You can't prove "several articles mention it" because they don't. It's a lie you made up. You suck at debate.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
So you think you can say whatever you want and everyone else has to accept it as fact? Gotcha. No one except you is saying, "Zack Martin and his agent are trying to milk the team for everything it's got". That's your made up BS. You can't prove "several articles mention it" because they don't. It's a lie you made up. You suck at debate.
Zack wants money and he's trusting his representation to get him what he wants.
Of course any decent agent would try to bilk the team for as much as he can get. Not only for his own check, along with his client's, but also to show his client he's going to throw down for him to make him as much money as he can.

I would expect nothing less from my agent.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Zack wants money and he's trusting his representation to get him what he wants.
Of course any decent agent would try to bilk the team for as much as he can get. Not only for his own check, along with his client's, but also to show his client he's going to throw down for him to make him as much money as he can.

I would expect nothing less from my agent.
That's not the same as "milking the team for everything it's got".

Corso

Reaction score
That's not the same as "milking the team for everything it's got".
That wasn't my argument. Maintain that one with your buddy over there.
I merely state the closest things as to facts as we can get them. I know agents. I went through several.
They do what they're best at doing. Stephen is a shrewd and strong character though.
Nobody is going to crush him on the financial end methinks.

1nfljunky

Reaction score
Well it’s the agents job to get the best deal he can for his guy. It’s not about the team. The agent has no one nterest in what best for the team. His ONLY job is to get as much as he can for the player. IMO it sounds like Martin wants to test the market.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That wasn't my argument. Maintain that one with your buddy over there.
I merely state the closest things as to facts as we can get them. I know agents. I went through several.
They do what they're best at doing. Stephen is a shrewd and strong character though.
Nobody is going to crush him on the financial end methinks.
No one is disputing that. Here other interesting facts no one is disputing. Water is wet. Trees are wood. Thank you for your input Captain obvious. :p

Corso

Reaction score
No one is disputing that. Here other interesting facts no one is disputing. Water is wet. Trees are wood. Thank you for your input Captain obvious. :p
Having seen so many of your wrong assumptions on things lately... You kind of need a Captain Obvious by your side at all times.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well it’s the agents job to get the best deal he can for his guy. It’s not about the team. The agent has no one nterest in what best for the team. His ONLY job is to get as much as he can for the player. IMO it sounds like Martin wants to test the market.
Another proclamation of the apparent. Thanks. :rolleyes:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Having seen so many of your wrong assumptions on things lately... You kind of need a Captain Obvious by your side at all times.
And you are the humanitarian than volunteered. Gee thanks, what a guy. :)