Zeke should be cut

Pipelayer72

Reaction score
I think he will be a good short yardage dual threat with the run and pass. I wouldn't underestimate his ability. If he can keep drives alive that would be great.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
If they cut him Dallas would pay him twice not to play this season lol

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What's your evidence that he'd serve as a veteran leader? Royce Freeman has a Super Bowl ring, so wouldn't he serve as a better "leader?" Zeke has won nothing since his rushing titles early in his career.
I laugh, I do. I have no evidence but really generally speaking neither do you. The NFL is a team game not a individual game. A vet presence means just that, a presence. Royce Freeman could also offer that same presence here. I never said he "won" anything did I? Clearly haters up in here on Zeke abound. Zeke can get us the tough short yardage and goal line plunge we desire. Perhaps the same with Royce but last season proved we needed that part of our game so this year we have not one but two who can play that role. I have no beef about that philosophy.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Team really struggled in short yardage situations last yr, you would think this is where Zeke's role will be.
Exactly, and why there is no reason to pound Luepke and Zeke in those situations during pre season, they already know what they are here for.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never liked the Zeke signing. Hes washed IMO. He may give us three things - short yardage options (not that hard to find) and pass blocking ability and some ability to catch the ball. But his speed and elusiveness is gone. So meh.

BUT…having said that…Never trust a preseason performance as being a straight line to regular season success. It’s as old as NFL pre-season games itself. See a backup player or practice squad player make a few plays in ps and think, “That guy is really good.”

The difference between a ps game and regular season game is huge, and simply not a realistic gauge of regular season performance.

Quick example - in ps games, defenses usually play plain vanilla coverages and rarely blitz. Which makes it way easier for QBs to not have to make a ton of reads and easier for RBs to not have to pick up blitzers.

Jarntt

Reaction score
The Rico, Freeman, and Deuce trio is fine by me.

Zeke is too slow now and hasn’t been a great receiving back in the pros. What has he done to not have to prove himself in the preseason?
Zeke's spot on the team was secured the second Jerry publicly stated he was still good enough to be a starter and how much he was going to help the team

Cmac

Reaction score
Why doesn't the base on this thread just ask for what they truly deserve......a rebuilding year? That will eliminate guys deserving of market values (not named Romo) and eliminate guys on return too (not named Witten). Just too easy for a franchise that has done so before.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
We have not, and will not see Zeke play yet until week one.

Zeke has benefice catching passes out of the back field. And he is not too slow. He can't break the very long runs. But how often do you see even the fastest RB's go for 50 plus yards. Not as often as some make it put to be.

Zeke will surprise this year, if they do not over use him.
Luuulz.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I laugh, I do. I have no evidence but really generally speaking neither do you. The NFL is a team game not an individual game. A vet presence means just that, a presence. Royce Freeman could also offer that same presence here. I never said he "won" anything did I? Clearly haters up in here on Zeke abound. Zeke can get us the tough short yardage and goal line plunge we desire. Perhaps the same with Royce but last season proved we needed that part of our game so this year we have not one but two who can play that role. I have no beef about that philosophy.
A vet presence. So did the veteran presence of Dakota, Lawrence, and Martin help us perform better in big time spots? My point is, I don’t see a difference between a guy like Freeman and Zeke, except Freeman still has some juice left and more burst. Zeke is washed.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Zeke has benefice catching passes out of the back field. And he is not too slow. He can't break the very long runs. But how often do you see even the fastest RB's go for 50 plus yards. Not as often as some make it put to be.

Zeke will surprise this year, if they do not over use him.
Luuuulz, 50+ yard runs???

Set your sights much lower.

Guess how many 20+ yard runs Zeke had last year?

jaybird

Reaction score

Zeke is too slow now and hasn’t been a great receiving back in the pros. What has he done to not have to prove himself in the preseason?
i assuming you’ve been to training camp. The RBs i’ve seen in preseason are average at best. I’ll defer to the coaching staff that are considering the full body of work.
That said, Zeke is a stop gap pick up, but i think he has value, particularly near the goal line.

Hadenough

Reaction score
For those of you who think Zeke can still be a short yardage back. How quickly you forget all the hesitating and dancing around he was doing and getting stuffed in the backfield. He was not willing to put his head down and run it up hard into a small crease. The dude was waiting for a giant hole to open. He can probably still block and catch a couple passes like a full back but he is not even an avg RB anymore.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Zeke is 3rd all time rusher in Dallas history.

4 TDs behind Dorsett.

Respect.

BayAreaCowboy

Reaction score
Team really struggled in short yardage situations last yr, you would think this is where Zeke's role will be.
With Zeke 2 years ago, Dallas had a top 5 red zone scoring offense and Zeke led the league in short yardage TD’s I believe. Then last year, it went down hill. Stop the hate for “slow” Zeke when Royce is slower. Calm down…this board and a lot of these fans are just doing way too much too often. All they need to do is get good blocking up front and our backs will be fine.