Twitter: Barring a Strong Trade offer, Romo rumored to be released tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He is not retiring.

I know it is hard to deal with, but he was released, he is going elsewhere and we get absolutely, positively ZERO from it other than the feeling of satisfaction that Jerry Jones took care of his boy.

We get $54m more cap dollars over the next three years.

We would have gotten that had he been traded too but to act like there is no benefit to cutting him is false.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Said this earlier in this thread and another and will agsin...Romo hasn't played close to a full season since 2014. How can anyone in their right football mind think getting picks for him is possible or that we have to have him vs moving forward? He hit his ceiling. All great QBs do and time takes over. Cowboys are doing the right thing despite me loving Romo. You can't pay that money for an injured backup

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I recall reading awhile back this scenario was a likely option, as it:
1) plenty early enough to have Romo settled into his new locale
2) not costing his new team draft picks on top of the cost that team incurs signing Romo
3)by doing that it allows a certain "team/fanbase"acceptance towards him by not denying them of their ability to improve through the draft.( readily accepted with open arms)
Pretty sweet for Romo and his immediately up gunned new team,,,huh?

Pretty sure that's what I gleaned from reading it a few months ago.

fishspill

Reaction score
He is not retiring.

I know it is hard to deal with, but he was released, he is going elsewhere and we get absolutely, positively ZERO from it other than the feeling of satisfaction that Jerry Jones took care of his boy.
Can we at least hope this is Jerry's final request and act before any and all football decisions are taken from him in this his year of HOF enshrinement?

TX_Yid

Reaction score
It's bad enough that we get nothing for an elite QB who in my opinion has at least 2 more seasons in him where he could take a team to the SB.

What is worse is our QB situation now, behind Dak we have NOTHING. I don't think Dak has a sophomore slump in him, but they've happened plenty of times.

There's nothing I like about this.

Pants

Reaction score
Jones, Jerry is insane...I get the "nice guy" routine...but this is foolish...and, as I stated in a different post, my cell phone blew up today with people texting me and laughing...and they aren't even the Eagle fans yet....

Zordon

Reaction score
Jerry wanted to do right by Romo. If he didn't care for Romo then he would have held on to him like an asset instead of a friend.

Business wise, I would have held on to Romo. But if he was my nephew, cousin, son, or very close friend I would have done right by him. I've done this in business before.
Then we will continue to lose the right way while the cut throat Patriots pass us in Super Bowl titles.

Just wait for it - a QB will go down in August and the Patriots will get a ransom for Garoppolo.

Meanwhile, we'll be patting ourselves on the back for doing right by Romo as if the MILLIONS and MILLIONS he made sitting on the bench the past 2 years wasn't enough.

T-RO

Reaction score
so you keep him, restructure his contract, and let him battle with Dak for the starting spot

you don't have the cap space to do anything in FA this year anyways

Not true. Free agency isn't over. Far from it. New rules allow them to act now but designate this as a June 1st release. If they go that route they split the cap benefit between this year and next.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Guys, I love Romo as my as anyone, but he's going to be a 37 year old quarterback who has missed a huge number of games the last two seasons. Sometimes treating your vets well reaps rewards more valuable than a late draft pick.
When? Give me an example....btw. The Patriots disagree with you.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I am not a fan of the move, but.....

I saw Garrett the other night with "Mooch" and it came out during the conversation that Garrett has not talked to Romo since the season ended. That just blew me away.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
If this is true then our front office is as bad as people give them crap for on here. So many other organizations would get great value from him, hell even swapping picks in the draft etc. I hope this news is fake.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Serious question.

Why was this the tipping point for you? It seems to me you have always toed the company line.

Hey! I didn't really toe the company line, I could just see *their* reasoning. :laugh: I try not to get too emotionally involved in anything, especially stuff out of my control like whatever shenanigans Jerry does with the Cowboys. Some things I agreed with, some things I didn't, try not to get too caught up or you'll drive yourself insane.

Always try to look at it objectively though. In this case, as much as I could see their reasoning previously, and mistakes happen to everyone, this is just gross mismanagement from the beginning. And it's just been stacked on additional bad decisions in recent years that are pretty typical Jerry.

Just a kick right in the groin to those who thought maybe, against all odds, we were starting to turn a corner as far as management. Doesn't look to be the case. At least we didn't pay Church 50 million to watch him be mediocre.

DCowboyz

Reaction score
I can picture Romo winning MVP next season on whatever team he signs with. Everyone will say Romo sucked in Dallas but became elite after he left. That's how much everyone hates the Cowboys.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Romo will go to Denver and come up just short there too. His body is done. I'd be shocked if he stayed healthy for another year. If he's in the playoffs I'll be rooting for him. Just wish they would've got a trade done.

Status
Not open for further replies.