Twitter: Cavanaugh: Penalties Against Cowboys are Hogwash

ESisback

Reaction score
Steelers FB Merrill Hoge is a TV analyst now and just wrote a book (with a league friendly MD) that CTE is completely made up. There is a rumor among TBI researchers that he either got paid to do it or did it to suck up to the NFL.
Probably both. Sad.

mmohican29

Reaction score
That is bracing, not running back towards the guy to spear him. Zeke's guy didn't launch at him like the DB did for Penny. We don't even know if the Philly DB was going to wrap up or what because Zeke initiated the contact first.

Exactly what he should have done. That Eagles DB waa prepping to go low at Zeke's legs rather than try to take him high with Zeke gaining speed up the sideline. Zeke greeted him with superior firepower.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Exactly what he should have done. That Eagles DB waa prepping to go low at Zeke's legs rather than try to take him high with Zeke gaining speed up the sideline. Zeke greeted him with superior firepower.

And as long as he does that going straight forward I don't think there's a problem with that for the officials at all. Same as the Penny example except the DB launched at him at or before he lowered his head. It's the running back towards the DB that the officials flagged, IMO.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
@percyhoward You posted last year that the run of judgement non-calls on holding had only happened one other time in NFL history (to the Bronchos), could you confirm that? I looked for the thread twice but don't find it.
I could be completely wrong, but I don't remember that about only happening one other time in NFL history. Sorry I couldn't be more help on that part of it. I do remember something about the Broncos, and I think it was that they also had a long stretch where their opponents didn't get holding calls that same season.

I think the most condemning evidence of a double standard is the way they called roughing the passer when Romo was QB -- which is to say, they didn't, basically.

shabazz

Reaction score
I think that the holds called on Tyron are 100% evidence that the league conspires against the Cowboys.

I have resisted that forever, but there's just no way the same bs calls can be made against him over and over again, and the Cowboys' opponents never get the same call.

The refs have dropped any and all pretenses of impartiality at this point

Just like some major media outlets have

HungryLion

Reaction score
So the defender doesn't matter at all? If someone launches at you first then you clearly aren't initiating contact because you CAN'T. That's one way to tell whether a runner did or not so you logically HAVE to look at the defender to make that determination. That's why you don't want to comment on it. And you accuse me of playing dumb? Projection is your defense when you want to cover up avoidance, I get it.

I’m not projecting. You’re just arguing BS semantics over who initiated or didn’t initiate the contact.

Here’s the thing though. The fact that judgment call needs to be made in the first place, validates the opinion that the rule is stupid.

And you accuse me of avoidance? You’re the one who claims that he doesn’t know if it’s common for RB’s to lower their head/shoulders and make contact with a defender. That’s either a blatant and terrible attempt to feign ignorance, or, it means you really don’t know Jack squat about the game of football.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I just did break them down. On all of them, hands are within the frame of the defender and on the shoulder pads. It's very simple.

I don't necessarily had those being called holds, in a vacuum, but they NEVER go the other way. I'd need to look it up, specifically, but how do those against Dallas get called, but their opponents went like 10 straight games without a single holding call two years in a row?

This thread is not about this year, because the holding nonsense goes back to last year.
Don't waste your time.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think that the holds called on Tyron are 100% evidence that the league conspires against the Cowboys.

I have resisted that forever, but there's just no way the same bs calls can be made against him over and over again, and the Cowboys' opponents never get the same call.

I just cant buy this, sorry.

You telling me there is a league wide conspiracy across all the officiating crews to intentionally call bogus penalties against Dallas in order to cause them to lose games? If that is true, why are you still watching? Why are you still following the team and posting on their message board if you truly believe 100% that the games are rigged? Whats the point?

I will tell you a quick story to illustrate my point. When I was young, I loved wrestling. I watched wrestling on TV, me and my dad went to wrestling matches in person when events were being held in our area, I just loved it. Then when I was around 12 or so, I started to realize that it was all fake. The punches were fake, the moves were choreographed, the whole dam thing was staged. In short, the matches were rigged and the outcome was predetermined. I stopped watching wrestling, stopped going to events, and pretty much to this day have lost all interest in it.

So if the NFL is the same, meaning the games are rigged and the outcome of who wins and loses is all predetermined by the officiating, they why the hell would it be any different from wrestling at that point? Why watch, why even care who wins and loses if the whole dam thing is fixed?

So that is why I cant buy your theory of a league wide conspiracy...………..If I truly did believe that, like you do, I would stop watching.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Show the evidence of the opponents not getting called whereas we do get called in games. For every one, you can show the opposite where we benefit as well. Maybe, just maybe, refs miss and make bad calls everywhere. You'd have to observe every single game played to gather "proof" or you're just running with 1/32nds of data and forming a theory. Not very scientific.

I call BS.

The no catch call against Bryant.
The lining up in the neutral zone call against Gregory against the Saints.
The spearing call against Zeke against the Eagles.
The call against Tank for a blow to the head. Replay shows no blow to the head whatsoever.
The 3 holding calls against Tyron Smith. Those were not holding calls. Those were Smith whipping the rusher to the ground.

Lastly, for 8 games this year not one holding call against our opponent. While there were tape where holding calls against us not being called. The first Eagles game where Wilson was mugged while Wentz completed a pass. It was in front national TV.

You just need to open your eyes. Stop being so naive into thinking that bias doesn't exist against the Cowboys.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea. Debate with yourself. Because if you don’t know enough about the game to know that running backs initiate contact frequently. And to understand why a runner would want to square up with a defender, rather than get hit from the side, then debating you isn’t worth it.

The reason the rule is dumb is because Zeke didn’t have a choice in that situation it was either do what he did, or allow the defender to blast him from the side. Which isn’t exactly safe for a running back either.

BS.

He could have stepped out of bounds, he could have lowered his shoulder and trucked the defender, or tried avoid him all together and head up field.

To think his only option was to turn into the defender and lower his head and initiate helmet to helmet contact is moronic.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I call BS.

The no catch call against Bryant.
The lining up in the neutral zone call against Gregory against the Saints.
The spearing call against Zeke against the Eagles.
The call against Tank for a blow to the head. Replay shows no blow to the head whatsoever.
The 3 holding calls against Tyron Smith. Those were not holding calls. Those were Smith whipping the rusher to the ground.

Lastly, for 8 games this year not one holding call against our opponent. While there were tape where holding calls against us not being called. The first Eagles game where Wilson was mugged while Wentz completed a pass. It was in front national TV.

You just need to open your eyes. Stop being so naive into thinking that bias doesn't exist against the Cowboys.

You need to learn the rules of the game. “Speaking against the Eagles!” lol, smh.

sideon

Reaction score
Complaining about officiating after the Cowboys just played a game in which they were the beneficiaries of poor officiating is hilarious. When did this fanbase turn into a group of whiny B!$##?

cristglo

Reaction score

I Agree If you watch GB OL they should be called for holding on every down.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Jesse James from the Steelers and Clay Matthews earlier this year would like to say hi.

This is the last video I produced on this site to show that Zeke clearly targeted the DB on that play. Several here agreed it was a good call by the official while others continued to say that Zeke was "just falling." What say you?

Elliott-S-GIF-1.gif
This is for others since I unintentionally him you afraid of me.

I’ve asked many times and have not gotten an answer from the Ref Defending Trio.

Did the defender lower and lead with his head?

The correct answer that they cannot bring themselves to say for obvious reasons is yes.

That makes it a no call.

Last edited: