DMN.COM (Archer) Commanders spending freely again, but how?

ravidubey

Reaction score
kmd24 said:
There is no irony. You are simply missing the point.

The article has nothing to do with whose strategy is better. It has to do with an old perception that renegotiating contracts to move SC dollars to future years is an effort to win big in the short term by potentially creating a problem down the road. The number of playoff wins amassed by the Cowboys or any other team is irrelevant to the point.

The writer is simply arguing that, during the hypothetical window that is created by renegotiating, the Commanders have accomplished little (one playoff win), and that they will soon be forced to wreck the roster when all the prorated signing bonuses pile up in a given future year.

There are plenty of GOOD arguments against what this writer has said, but none of them have anything to do with how many playoff wins the Cowboys have since 1999. The Cowboys already spent their time in salary cap purgatory (with three Superbowl victories to show for it), and now everyone thinks it's the Commanders' turn (with one playoff victory to show for it).

Whether the Skins have or will ever spend any time in SC purgatory remains to be debated. The Skins have lost some important pieces of their team in the last couple of years, but my Commanders friends all assure me the team didn't want those guys anyway.

I can't believe I had to sift through two pages of dreck to finally find a post that makes sense and a poster who actually understands the intent of the freaking article. What's happening to this board?

cj7

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I missed someone else pointing this out but,
We (Commanders) have 2 playoff wins since '99, not 1.

We beat Detroit in '99 and then Tampa this year.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
I can't believe I had to sift through two pages of dreck to finally find a post that makes sense and a poster who actually understands the intent of the freaking article. What's happening to this board?

Perhaps you should have read the entire thread. His point was made by several people.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cj7 said:
I'm sorry if I missed someone else pointing this out but,
We (Commanders) have 2 playoff wins since '99, not 1.

We beat Detroit in '99 and then Tampa this year.

Although Danny bought the skins in 99, if memory serves, he was not Officially in charge at the time of the early offseason and draft.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
riggo said:
i'm not arguing that it did. the writer bashed the skins for only winning one playoff game in 6 years. dallas has won none. it has nothing to do with whether the skins personally knocked dallas out of the playoffs.

I think the point is that for all the free spending of the Skins, the team has only won one playoff game.

That really has nothing to do with the Dallas Cowboys and everything to do with his feelings that buying a championship has not worked for the Skins.

And I think it's worth noting because the debate exists within many ball clubs - do you build a team through free agency or through the draft.

It doesn't seem to be working for the Skins, despite their big ticket purchases.

gbrittain

Reaction score
I know the point has already been made, but the point of the article is painfully obvious.

For example:

If you are building a team defense first with a pedestrian offense and QB the model for what you are doing are the 2000 Baltimore Ravens.

If you are building a team with a bunch of nameless ultimate team players you get compared to the Patriots model of doing things.

If you are trying to build through FA, the model for such are the Washington Commanders. The only difference here from the other two models is the amount of success or lack there of.

Like it or not, the Commanders are the model for building a team through FA and trades. That puts the Commanders in a high profile position that will ultimately garner them much praise due to success or for now the pot shots of failure.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
I think the point is that for all the free spending of the Skins, the team has only won one playoff game.

That really has nothing to do with the Dallas Cowboys and everything to do with his feelings that buying a championship has not worked for the Skins.

And I think it's worth noting because the debate exists within many ball clubs - do you build a team through free agency or through the draft.

It doesn't seem to be working for the Skins, despite their big ticket purchases.

Bingo! The whole point of the article was to point out that the Skins have found a way to continue to spend. It's not just an NFL issue it's a sports wide issue. The Skins are the subject because of the time of year and their most recent spending spree. The very same articles have been written about the Lakers, Yankees, etc. The difference, as far as the Skins are concerned is the end result. The Lakers and Yankees have actually had success parlaying those spending sprees into championships. The Skins have fallen woefully short. The Yankess have been on the short end of this arguement, as of late, because they (like the Skins) aren't winning championships, but carry a hefty payroll.

You can bet that if the Skins were building their team through the draft instead of FA, their fans would be waxing poetic about the "right way" to build a football team. Funny.

SS

apickmans

Reaction score
Snyder often directly involves himself in Commanders' competitive operations and player acquisition. He has served as the de facto GM for the team over the years. Throughout his tenure, he has invested a great amount of money into high-profile players, including Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Jeremiah Trotter, Jeff George, Clinton Portis, Antwan Randle-El, Brandon Lloyd, and Andre Carter. However, since Snyder assumed control, these investments have not translated into much success on the football field as the Commanders have only managed a 54-58 overall record and have made the playoffs twice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Snyder

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
apickmans said:
Snyder often directly involves himself in Commanders' competitive operations and player acquisition. He has served as the de facto GM for the team over the years. Throughout his tenure, he has invested a great amount of money into high-profile players, including Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Jeremiah Trotter, Jeff George, Clinton Portis, Antwan Randle-El, Brandon Lloyd, and Andre Carter. However, since Snyder assumed control, these investments have not translated into much success on the football field as the Commanders have only managed a 54-58 overall record and have made the playoffs twice.

See my post above.

He came in after the draft was complete and therefore also after the opening of the offseason and Free Agency.

They had the previous GM in place for the draft and start of FA if memory serves.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
apickmans said:

And how many millions has Danny paid collectively for those two playoff wins? 200-250 million dollars. Not exactly a model of success, which is the point of the article. On the flip side, the Arizona Cardinals have half as many wins in the playoffs since that time and have never even sniffed the salary cap ceiling. That's some smart spendin there Danny.

SS

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
riggo said:
everybody talks about building through the draft- most of dallas' O as well a a bunch of defensive starters are from FA signings.

Starters from the Draft

Flozel Adams
Al Johnson
Rob Pettiti (probably replaced)
Jason Witten
Patrick Crayton
Julius Jones
Lousaka Polite (FB)
Chris Canty
Marcus Spears
Brady James
Demarcus Ware
Terrence Newman
Keith Davis
Roy Williams

Thats 13-14 starters from the draft right there

13 of them from the last 4 drafts

Now lets see the Skins list

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The funny thing about riggo whinning and bawling about some writer telling the truth about the RedStinks, and said writer being from the DMN is...

if that writer would have written something positive about the RedStinks, and being from the DMN, we would hear those fans saying things like...

"now that report is a good reporter..."

"see, it's nice to read a reporter that is not biased...."

"that reporter is exactely right, the RedStinks are this and that..."

and riggo would not have gone off the deep end!

But, it's just typical of those fans...because they know the truth hurts, and they cannot handle the truth...it's just that simple! :rolleyes:

dwmyers

Reaction score
riggo said:
gibbs has never been high on draft picks to build a team
Maybe it's just me, but wasn't Gibbs the coach and Bobby Beathard the GM during the last reign?

Now it's Gibbs as coach and Snyder + some talking head as the GM of the Commanders.

David.

:cool:

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
5Stars said:
The funny thing about riggo whinning and bawling about some writer telling the truth about the RedStinks, and said writer being from the DMN is...

no, the funny thing about the reporters comments is that while all that spending has gotten skins 1 playoff win, it is one more playoff win than dallas has had over that span.

i simply pointed out that the reporter should check the team he covers. i think its hilarious that he left dallas recent history out of a commentary on playoff success. i'm not whining and bawling- i'm laughing my *** off.

(it was correctly pointed out that the skins did beat detroit in the playoffs the same year dallas lost to minn., but since we're talking about snyder spending, i havent included that year)

the writer should have said this -
"But remember this: All it has gotten the Commanders is two playoff victories since Snyder bought the team in 1999- which is 2 more than the cowboys over that span."

the fact is, the skins have 'scoreboard' when it comes to recent playoff wins. i thought that fact would be obvious to most posters here. forgive me for trying to point that fact out in a pleasant way thru the first 6 pages of this thread.

superpunk

Reaction score
riggo said:
the fact is, the skins have 'scoreboard' when it comes to recent playoff wins. i thought that fact would be obvious to most posters here. forgive me for trying to point that fact out in a pleasant way thru the first 6 pages of this thread.

Somehow, the fact that the Cowboys playoff victories are irrelevant continues to escape you. Stunning.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
riggo said:
no, the funny thing about the reporters comments is that while all that spending has gotten skins 1 playoff win, it is one more playoff win than dallas has had over that span.

i simply pointed out that the reporter should check the team he covers. i think its hilarious that he left dallas recent history out of a commentary on playoff success. i'm not whining and bawling- i'm laughing my *** off.

(it was correctly pointed out that the skins did beat detroit in the playoffs the same year dallas lost to minn., but since we're talking about snyder spending, i havent included that year)

the writer should have said this -
"But remember this: All it has gotten the Commanders is two playoff victories since Snyder bought the team in 1999- which is 2 more than the cowboys over that span."

So everytime a Washington paper comments this season on the Commanders sweeping Dallas then that reporter should mention we swept you guys for 7 of the previous 8 years also right?

Also when you discuss last seasons games you should also be stating how we owned you guys for so long and bring up that he series record is horribly lopsided in Dallas' favor right?

superpunk

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
So everytime a Washington paper comments this season on the Commanders sweeping Dallas then that reporter should mention we swept you guys for 7 of the previous 8 years also right?

Blam.:bow:

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Somehow, the fact that the Cowboys playoff victories are irrelevant continues to escape you. Stunning.

the fact that you call the lack of dallas playoff victories irrelevant only makes it funnier. :laugh2:

superpunk

Reaction score
riggo said:
the fact that you call the lack of dallas playoff victories irrelevant only makes it funnier. :laugh2:

The truth is funny? As you dance more and more, your ridiculous claims get even weirder...

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
The truth is funny? As you dance more and more, your ridiculous claims get even weirder...

the truth that the skins have more playoff wins since snyder bought the team? yes, that is funny.