Does Rush read defenses and see the field better than Dak?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Of course the OC is not going to call certain routes that are going to expose a QB's weakness. You can't ask Rush to throw to many deep outs. In that way the game is being called differently.

The flip side of that is, there is a reason why we see so many of the much hated comeback routes with Dak. It's because it is a safe play for Dak's skillset against certain coverages.

There is no new offense that's being called completely differently. Just tweaking the existing playbook to suit the QB's skillset.

On another note... there is no way Dak is getting to his third and fourth reads consistently. It might look that way at times when he goes streetball but I'd like to see evidence of him going through all the options, from the pocket, while allowing the time necessary for the play to develop. Getting to the fourth read or even third is a tall task for any QB to do consistently against a decent defense.

kskboys

Reaction score
Of course the OC is not going to call certain routes that are going to expose a QB's weakness. You can't ask Rush to throw to many deep outs. In that way the game is being called differently.

The flip side of that is, there is a reason why we see so many of the much hated comeback routes with Dak. It's because it is a safe play for Dak's skillset against certain coverages.

There is no new offense that's being called completely differently. Just tweaking the existing playbook to suit the QB's skillset.

On another note... there is no way Dak is getting to his third and fourth reads consistently. It might look that way at times when he goes streetball but I'd like to see evidence of him going through all the options, from the pocket, while allowing the time necessary for the play to develop. Getting to the fourth read or even third is a tall task for any QB to do consistently against a decent defense.
Dak is notorious for locking on to his primary receiver.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't see less reads at all. Rush goes through them faster which makes it seem like fewer.

Agree that the pressure will most likely affect him to a great degree.
Go watch, it's right there to see. That's why I'm not trying to compare the two QBs, the scheme and play calling is different. And I'm fine with that. But there are plenty of examples of Prescott reading the defense just fine, but for some reason the hate must go on. I encourage the "All 22" it's a nifty tool.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dak is notorious for locking on to his primary receiver.

This is an odd assertion for a guy who is top 10 all time in passer rating and completion percentage.. It also flies in the face of coming off a season when Lamb and Schultz had more catches than Amari Cooper and Lamb had more targets (120) while Schultz had the same (104) .. Unless you are arguing that those guys were the primary receiver more often than Cooper was? I know Moore has tweaked the offense a bit but I am fairly certain that the X is the #1 read on upwards of 90% of our pass plays.. and Cooper was the primary X receiver when he was here.

kskboys

Reaction score
Go watch, it's right there to see. That's why I'm not trying to compare the two QBs, the scheme and play calling is different. And I'm fine with that. But there are plenty of examples of Prescott reading the defense just fine, but for some reason the hate must go on. I encourage the "All 22" it's a nifty tool.
I think you are assigning the thoughts of a very few to everyone. The "hate" moniker is not for real discussions.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is an odd assertion for a guy who is top 10 all time in passer rating and completion percentage.. It also flies in the face of coming off a season when Lamb and Schultz had more catches than Amari Cooper and Lamb had more targets (120) while Schultz had the same (104) .. Unless you are arguing that those guys were the primary receiver more often than Cooper was? I know Moore has tweaked the offense a bit but I am fairly certain that the X is the #1 read on upwards of 90% of our pass plays.. and Cooper was the primary X receiver when he was here.
Hard to say who Dak was favoring on any particular play. I don't believe it was limited to one guy.

My assertion has a ton to do w/ watching Dak not see open WR's all too often.

I don't use stats as a standalone factor to come to a conclusion.

If Dak is going through is progressions, then why does he not see the open guys so often? It looks to me as if he's watching "his guy".

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I think you are assigning the thoughts of a very few to everyone. The "hate" moniker is not for real discussions.
It's literally everywhere any remotely related subject is discussed here. And the one you chose to go with.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Hard to say who Dak was favoring on any particular play. I don't believe it was limited to one guy.

If Dak is going through is progressions, then why does he not see the open guys so often? It looks to me as if he's watching "his guy".
Let's breakdown what plays you're referring to, that's a great way to get some perspective.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

If "his guy" is getting open to the tune of a 67% completion rate I would say the looks are deceiving in this instance. But when 70% of his completions are to guys other than the X receiver the notion that he's locked in on the primary just doesn't make sense.

Sure Dak needs to get better.. but let's not get bogged down with these mindless absolutes to justify our preconceived notions. A lot of times I believe Dak sees these open receivers on the underneath routes just fine.. but he has fallen in love with the big play so he zips right past that guy and is waiting for the bigger play to open up. Mind you I think he needs to cut that crap out but I don't think his problem is not seeing the short throws.. Rather I think his problem is not taking them..

Praxit

Reaction score
..interesting point. In ways, yes, Rush might make better reads. WHy? Maybe he trusts his receivers will be there.

Dak might have trust issues or confidence issue. And defers from the read then goes arbitrary.

Though with Rush game plan, Dak will excel.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If KM keeps the same scheme and puts Dak under Center the amount of times he has Rush..these questions will be answered..Rush has played to the ceiling of his abilities and thats great because getting that from QB2 is all you can ask for. But again we have seen both run this scheme and Dak was better at it in his Rookie year than Rush is at year 6..Dak has a better arm and can run better. If we go back to air raid Football then all bets are off as I belive with this current roster both QB's will fail.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rushs pre snap reads are good.
Dak knows where the ball should go hes just afraid to throw it.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Yes, but Dak isn't very smart.
Posts like this are frustrating. How do you know he isn't smart? If you don't think he is a good football player, then fine, has nothing to do with whether he is smart or not.

kevm3

Reaction score
This Rush is more decisive and more accurate talk is laughable. If our defense played last year like they are this year, we might have been undefeated in regular season last year. How did Dak break the Cowboys TD record being inaccurate and unable to read defenses?

The Bucs have a great defense, and couple that with Dak having no preseason experience, especially with Cooper and Gallup out, it's no surprise he got destroyed. Cooper Rush didn't look too much better when he came in after Dak.

Rush is doing a fantastic job, but this notion that he's some mini Troy Aikman and is a better fit than Dak is nonsense. Rush is playing solid ball, and coupled with a defense that is really getting after the quarterback, we're winning games.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
This Rush is more decisive and more accurate talk is laughable. If our defense played last year like they are this year, we might have been undefeated in regular season last year. How did Dak break the Cowboys TD record being inaccurate and unable to read defenses?

The Bucs have a great defense, and couple that with Dak having no preseason experience, especially with Cooper and Gallup out, it's no surprise he got destroyed. Cooper Rush didn't look too much better when he came in after Dak.

Rush is doing a fantastic job, but this notion that he's some mini Troy Aikman and is a better fit than Dak is nonsense. Rush is playing solid ball, and coupled with a defense that is really getting after the quarterback, we're winning games.

It's laughable but expected..same posters..not even suprising, ABD crowd will try and sell anyone as its not about team its a bout the feelings for one player..actually funny they always try and Sell team while trying to sell you Rush or Dalton or anyother backup QB in this league..Just think when Dak puts up 40-50 points on these same division rivals they dismiss it instantly but when Rush struggles to 20 its the QB we should be playing..lol not even hiding the ridiculous player feelings...