Twitter: Rolando McClain visiting Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBS

Reaction score
Clearly there is an issue here

If dallas isn't hard pressed to retain this guy, there's obviously good reason for it

Multiple beat writers have tweeted things along the lines of coaches not going to bat for him...

It is what it is...

kevm3

Reaction score
Can someone put up some clips of Hitchens that show him anywhere in the same stratosphere as McClain? As far as I remember, he was serviceable, but not spectacular. Maybe I'm missing something. I see Hitchens as a nice fill-in, not as the face of the defense.

rags747

Reaction score
Can someone put up some clips of Hitchens that show him anywhere in the same stratosphere as McClain? As far as I remember, he was serviceable, but not spectacular. Maybe I'm missing something. I see Hitchens as a nice fill-in, not as the face of the defense.

He was more than serviceable IMO, had some key stops behind the Los on some key 4th downs. Is he Ro, no.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So torn on McClain. I love his demeanor on the field, and can't stand most of what he appears to represent. Not that I think he's necessarily a bad guy, but he's just completely unreliable. Whether it's his head not being right, or his potential substance abuse suspensions or his arrest record or his soft tissue injuries.

On the one hand, we lose tremendous attitude and an above-average player and a starter from last season if he walks. On the other, you cannot give the guy any guaranteed money to speak of at all. I'd be happiest with a one-year deal like Hardy got where the incentives are tied to being on the game day roster. The team probably wants more than one year at this point with few guarantees for their trouble. And NE is probably in a very similar boat to Dallas.

It'll come down to which franchise he likes best unless we blink and cough up a little more money per game to sweet talk him into staying. I guess I hope we do, to not have another hole that demands filling on the defensive side of the ball.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was more than serviceable IMO, had some key stops behind the Los on some key 4th downs. Is he Ro, no.

The highlights are available. He made his share of big plays. Mostly, he was serviceable at all three positions, including calling the sets at MIKE as a rookie. For my part, I like solid smart players who stay in the lineup over athletic freaks who are emotionally undependable any day of the week. Unless, of course, the freaks will take contracts that protect the team from their erratic decisions over time. Most of the real freaks don't have to do that. McClain is the exception because he's got so much baggage but that it's largely harmless stuff criminally to this point.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Also confused on this lack of availability talk. Yeah he got back to back concussions. He doesn't have a history of her injuries so that's mostly just unlucky at this point.

And yes his body was nicked up but that's to be expected given his time off and the way he plays the position.

But talking as though he was barely on the field is strange for a man who just wrapped up a 108 tackle 2 interception season from off his couch.

Why anyone wouldn't want Ro on this team is shocking to me.

As famously said... This isn't the boy scouts.

Aven8

Reaction score
Also confused on this lack of availability talk. Yeah he got back to back concussions. He doesn't have a history of her injuries so that's mostly just unlucky at this point.

And yes his body was nicked up but that's to be expected given his time off and the way he plays the position.

But talking as though he was barely on the field is strange for a man who just wrapped up a 108 tackle 2 interception season from off his couch.

Why anyone wouldn't want Ro on this team is shocking to me.

As famously said... This isn't the boy scouts.

I remember all the talk last year on CZ and how he was a beast and made Lee expendable! "We can now move Lee to WLB" "We finally have an enforcer!" "Ware and the rest were too nice, Ro hits you and you feel it!"

Now look at the majority of the posters only because he missed the last couple of games they remember. That sideline rant on sound FX before he went out against Detroit with the concussion was all I needed to hear! The dude is a team player. and wants to win and lead!

Most of our posters have turned just as cheap as Stephen now, as if it's our money anyway?? What a joke! We lose Ro, and we take a step back IMO, on a defense that can't afford to do that.

Jenky

Reaction score
Who wouldn't feel better with McClain in the starting lineup going into next season?

Nirvana

Reaction score
Fisher is doubling down on his Ro predictions. He says they want to start Brinkley at the Mike. I don't buy that.

Jenky

Reaction score
I remember all the talk last year on CZ and how he was a beast and made Lee expendable! "We can now move Lee to WLB" "We finally have an enforcer!" "Ware and the rest were too nice, Ro hits you and you feel it!"

Now look at the majority of the posters only because he missed the last couple of games they remember. That sideline rant on sound FX before he went out against Detroit with the concussion was all I needed to hear! The dude is a team player. and wants to win and lead!

Most of our posters have turned just as cheap as Stephen now, as if it's our money anyway?? What a joke! We lose Ro, and we take a step back IMO, on a defense that can't afford to do that.

Rolando McClain at the 1:26 minute mark.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films...-FX-Stafford-gives-his-opinion-on-non-PI-call

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I would love to keep Rolando, dude brings nastiness to the middle and can you imagine once Hardy hits the field at the same time.

Rolando is a playmaker and I would certainly feel better with his size in the middle, you can still draft a LB as well just in case he has issues.

The problem is simply a trust factor, so offer him a similar contract in terms of structure, not amount, to the Hardy contract.

Make him earn everything and mitigate risk, assuming of course NE is not offering substantial amount more.

Last edited:

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
McClain is a year older than last year's rookie Zach Martin. The guy is young and extremely talented and we have the possibility to get him for relatively cheap. He's pretty good. People talk about how Sean Lee is an All Pro when he's healthy. Well then what is McClain?

Games played - McClain 54, Lee 46
Tackles - McClain 327, Lee 294
Tackles per game - McClain 6.0, Lee 6.4
Sacks - McClain 7.5, Lee 0
INTs - McClain 3, Lee 11

They're not too different in terms of product. And most of these stats came from his time in Oakland which people considered minor bust status. All I know is, whoever signs him is gonna be getting a good young player. Hope it's us.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He may be no longer an option, Eberflus was at Kendricks pro day talking him up, it is possible they have moved on and will look to add another LB in the draft fairly early.

Kendricks is not a MLB in the NFL. He's even smaller than Sean Lee.

Wood

Reaction score
probably a better fit for McClain where he can fill in as backup. I don't expect NE to throw much money at him. I have always gotten sense that McClain wants to blend in and not be focal point. He was major focal point last year for this defense especially early. I also have faith that McClay can find another good LB in this draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.