Senior Bowl Chatter....

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Scouts Inc. ....

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...carson-wentz-looks-part-senior-bowl-nfl-draft

MOBILE, Ala. -- Carson Wentz passed his first test of Senior Bowl week -- the tale of the tape. At 6-foot-5¼, 233 pounds and with big hands (10 inches), the North Dakota State product put his obvious physical tools to good use on the practice field.

He displayed a quick throwing motion and really good arm strength. And watching him roll out to his left and square his hips/shoulders, you could tell how athletic he is. This affirmed what we've seen on video.

The one negative on him from Tuesday: He looked amped up at the beginning of practice and missed on a few throws as a result. But similar to what we've seen from him in live action, Wentz showed great mental toughness, bouncing back with a strong seven-on-seven period, in which he was in complete command.

Wentz's body language was terrific all day, even when he wasn't at his best. Talking with scouts, they rave about his intelligence, intangibles and leadership. He's a guy you don't have to worry about off the field. The last time we saw a performance like this from an FCS quarterback in Mobile was Joe Flacco in 2008, who ended up going No. 18 overall to the Baltimore Ravens.

Beyond Wentz, though, this is arguably the deepest crop of QBs we've seen in 18 years of attending the Senior Bowl. In fact, Phil Savage said this is the first time they've ever had eight QBs in Mobile. You could make an argument that all eight guys should be drafted -- Wentz, Kevin Hogan (Stanford), Cody Kessler(USC), Jeff Driskel (Louisiana Tech), Dak Prescott (Mississippi State), Jake Coker (Alabama), Brandon Allen (Arkansas) and Jacoby Brissett (NC State). These are all guys with NFL-type bodies, who have the potential to earn roster spots as quarterbacks.

Brissett, in particular, stood out during the South squad's practice on Tuesday. He's a big kid and an easy thrower of the ball. This is going to be his type of venue. His internal clock can speed up a bit during game action. But on Tuesday, he made a couple of nice back-shoulder throws and really drove the ball well outside the hash marks. Strong start to the week for him.

Other notes
* Ohio State WR Braxton Miller showed great play, speed and savvy. He can still work on getting a cleaner release against press coverage, but he really caught the ball -- even when the throws were off-target. And you saw his ability to create big plays after the catch.

* The defensive tackle group is absolutely stacked this year. A guy who can really help himself this week is BYU's Bronson Kaufusi. He put on 25 pounds (up to 281) and showed great athleticism for a guy his size. He used his length well at the point of attack. He has an enormous ceiling.

* South Carolina TE Jerell Adams has added 22 pounds since spring practice last year -- and it showed on the field. He looked a lot stronger as a blocker in one-on-one drills, and he played with an edge. That's a good sign for a player who already had upside as a pass-catcher.

* Alabama RB Kenyan Drake looked natural catching the ball. He could be one of the bigger steals in the draft, especially if he can improve in pass protection.

* Texas Tech OT Le'Raven Clark got a lot of buzz in scouting circles this fall. We found out why on Tuesday: You can't teach this kind of arm length (36.2 inches). Yes, he needs to be coached up, but he has good feet and a big frame (6-foot-5], 312 pounds).

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly just laugh every time Jason talks now. It's like calling a bank. You press a button and you get an automated response.

I don't even listen to any of his press conferences anymore. He bores me while creeping me out.

Just tell me what he said in an article and I'll read that. I'm not wasting my time with ginger robot coach speak.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The practices were supposed to be on ESPNU right now according to my guide but nothing yet.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And now I see why. The practices times were moved today because of weather.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't even listen to any of his press conferences anymore. He bores me while creeping me out.

Just tell me what he said in an article and I'll read that. I'm not wasting my time with ginger robot coach speak.

Feel the same. Just straight bore.

I liked the Tuna because he would give out good info and he would mess around with the press members.
I liked Wade's PC's because at the very least you could get a laugh or chuckle just listening to him talk even if it was not his intention to make you laugh or chuckle.

Red...boring like a high school monotone teacher.

RS12

Reaction score
People have to remember that many of the draft writers are guys with a forum, not much different than posters on this board. When I first knew Matt Miller he was a middle school teacher who posted on message boards. Not to kiss up but there are guys on this forum who could easily do what these guys do... create a website, blog, or podcast, ask the Senior Bowl for credentials, and show up in Mobile as "media" for the Senior Bowl. I've written for recruiting message boards and sites in the past and was given access to coaching staffs and players. It isn't hard, just takes someone willing to put themselves out there.

I'll take it a step further, there are guys working in personnel in the league who arent much better than posters here.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Scouts Inc. ....

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...carson-wentz-looks-part-senior-bowl-nfl-draft

MOBILE, Ala. -- Carson Wentz passed his first test of Senior Bowl week -- the tale of the tape. At 6-foot-5¼, 233 pounds and with big hands (10 inches), the North Dakota State product put his obvious physical tools to good use on the practice field.

He displayed a quick throwing motion and really good arm strength. And watching him roll out to his left and square his hips/shoulders, you could tell how athletic he is. This affirmed what we've seen on video.

The one negative on him from Tuesday: He looked amped up at the beginning of practice and missed on a few throws as a result. But similar to what we've seen from him in live action, Wentz showed great mental toughness, bouncing back with a strong seven-on-seven period, in which he was in complete command.

Wentz's body language was terrific all day, even when he wasn't at his best. Talking with scouts, they rave about his intelligence, intangibles and leadership. He's a guy you don't have to worry about off the field. The last time we saw a performance like this from an FCS quarterback in Mobile was Joe Flacco in 2008, who ended up going No. 18 overall to the Baltimore Ravens.

Beyond Wentz, though, this is arguably the deepest crop of QBs we've seen in 18 years of attending the Senior Bowl. In fact, Phil Savage said this is the first time they've ever had eight QBs in Mobile. You could make an argument that all eight guys should be drafted -- Wentz, Kevin Hogan (Stanford), Cody Kessler(USC), Jeff Driskel (Louisiana Tech), Dak Prescott (Mississippi State), Jake Coker (Alabama), Brandon Allen (Arkansas) and Jacoby Brissett (NC State). These are all guys with NFL-type bodies, who have the potential to earn roster spots as quarterbacks.

Brissett, in particular, stood out during the South squad's practice on Tuesday. He's a big kid and an easy thrower of the ball. This is going to be his type of venue. His internal clock can speed up a bit during game action. But on Tuesday, he made a couple of nice back-shoulder throws and really drove the ball well outside the hash marks. Strong start to the week for him.

Other notes
* Ohio State WR Braxton Miller showed great play, speed and savvy. He can still work on getting a cleaner release against press coverage, but he really caught the ball -- even when the throws were off-target. And you saw his ability to create big plays after the catch.

* The defensive tackle group is absolutely stacked this year. A guy who can really help himself this week is BYU's Bronson Kaufusi. He put on 25 pounds (up to 281) and showed great athleticism for a guy his size. He used his length well at the point of attack. He has an enormous ceiling.

* South Carolina TE Jerell Adams has added 22 pounds since spring practice last year -- and it showed on the field. He looked a lot stronger as a blocker in one-on-one drills, and he played with an edge. That's a good sign for a player who already had upside as a pass-catcher.

* Alabama RB Kenyan Drake looked natural catching the ball. He could be one of the bigger steals in the draft, especially if he can improve in pass protection.

* Texas Tech OT Le'Raven Clark got a lot of buzz in scouting circles this fall. We found out why on Tuesday: You can't teach this kind of arm length (36.2 inches). Yes, he needs to be coached up, but he has good feet and a big frame (6-foot-5], 312 pounds).

Am I the only one who thinks Drake would be an awesome replacement for Dunbar?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Feel the same. Just straight bore.

I liked the Tuna because he would give out good info and he would mess around with the press members.
I liked Wade's PC's because at the very least you could get a laugh or chuckle just listening to him talk even if it was not his intention to make you laugh or chuckle.

Red...boring like a high school monotone teacher.

Agreed. Wade was surprisingly entertaining for the reason you mentioned.

This isn't a slam on him as a coach. He could lead the Cowboys to multiple titles and I still wouldn't want to listen to him talk much.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
People have to remember that many of the draft writers are guys with a forum, not much different than posters on this board. When I first knew Matt Miller he was a middle school teacher who posted on message boards. Not to kiss up but there are guys on this forum who could easily do what these guys do... create a website, blog, or podcast, ask the Senior Bowl for credentials, and show up in Mobile as "media" for the Senior Bowl. I've written for recruiting message boards and sites in the past and was given access to coaching staffs and players. It isn't hard, just takes someone willing to put themselves out there.

Yep.
With social media as pervasive as it is, you have more people out there, covering practices and giving their opinion.
This used to be the domain of the traditional media - but no more.
While that's good in one sense (the availability of many voices and opening up the channels of media once restricted to the "privileged"), it's bad in another sense because your average Joe Blow who has no training or experience thinks he is a football scout.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BTW, the practices start at noon central time now. Two hour North practice then a half hour break before the South practice. That's just today's schedule because of weather.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
How hard is it to recruit the top class every year....when your paying the players under the table? Old Saban is already lining up his fall guy in Kiffen. It's just a matter of time before the truth comes out and Alabama falls.....Mark my words. You just don't recruit the top class like they do year after year...and something isn't going down. I'm gonna LMAO when they are stripped of all their titles.

You're going to be waiting a long time before you laugh.
Alabama has a rich tradition. And when you win four titles and seven years and have your players drafted in the top rounds of the NFL draft, you don't really have to pay anyone under the table. All you have to say is, "You want to win championships and get ready for the NFL? Come to Alabama."

Don't hate. Embrace the Great! ;) :)

Last edited:

RS12

Reaction score
You spend a lot of time over at that website, eh?

How are your birds looking next year?

~looking away~

I'll take my info where ever I can get it. Pauline writes for the Eagles website. Thanks for outing me, now what am I gonna do.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL @ Alexander for following Broaddus though. He probably sends him questions throughout the year and enthusiastically thanks him when he gets a response.