Ware Release: has the Organization Changed? ***Ware Mega Merge-place all Ware threads here please***

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What if he decides to retire? If I'm Ware.....And I really want to be a free agent...I tell Jerry if you don't work something out by 2pm today. I retire

How does that help Ware? Jerry retains his rights and does not have to pay him. Legally, Ware would owe Jerry part of his signing bonus if he retires before the end of the contract.

DFWJC

Reaction score
At this age the is NO WAY Jerry will ever totally concede a season before it even begins, let alone before the draft and FA season have even concluded.
Good grief.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Man, I really hope they cut Ware. He's not made out for the 4-3.

Reaction score
Greg Ellis is on the phone, asked about Ware, can he still do it? Yes he can, but should be used as situational pass rusher, not every down. Explains how OTs are heavier than you and at that age body won't hold up. He says in a 3-4 he could be every down player. He was concerned for Ware when they switched to a 4-3. When Ellis played as 3-4 OLB it was a breeze physically, doesn't compare to 4-3 DE. (Very emphatic about this.)

This was an argument I made as nauseum last year when Jerry made the switch to a 4-3, and why I opposed the switch. And was continally berated for it. Oh well.........

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
How does that help Ware? Jerry retains his rights and does not have to pay him. Legally, Ware would owe Jerry part of his signing bonus if he retires before the end of the contract.

But doesn't his signing bonus pro-rate forward putting the Cowboys over the cap forcing Jerry to make a move?

Gameover

Reaction score
People blame the Crayton drops and the Ware offsides (was still a bad call btw).

But the real culprit was Jacques Reeves, he was routinely getting beaten by a drum for first down after first down. They were targetting him and we couldn't get their offense off the field when it mattered most. Throw in a few bad calls, a Crayton walk in TD drop, and the 'pull up' on the 3rd down throw late - and it's no wonder why we lost that game.

I agree on Reeves. Ware's offsides combined w/ Roy and Henry letting the slowest guy on the field go for about a 50 yard TD.

It was a good call btw. I don't care if he had a quick first step! Don't do it! Especially on crucial third downs.

Nirvana

Reaction score
This was an argument I made as nauseum last year when Jerry made the switch to a 4-3, and why I opposed the switch. And was continally berated for it. Oh well.........

Ware has compared playing the position to a "car accident every play." Listening to Ellis describe it, I'm sure Ware would absolutely prefer to go back to a 3-4 OLB. Millions of dollars in play.

I think it's a joke to draft an undersized 4-3 DE now that I heard Ellis explain it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But doesn't his signing bonus pro-rate forward putting the Cowboys over the cap forcing Jerry to make a move?

The Cowboys gain 7.4M in cap space if he is cut immediately. If he retired they would gain the same amount and possible more if they forced him to repay some of the signing bonus.

Ware has no leverage over the Cowboys. They do have leverage over him in that they could keep him into the summer and then cut him at which point most or all teams would have spent their free agent budget.

The Natural

Reaction score
bu bu but I thought the 4-3 was sposed to be better cause the ends got to pin their ears back and do what they supposedly do best every down

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
8.5M if he is traded regardless of whether he take a pay cut.

If he is going to agree to a significant pay cut, then the Cowboys will just keep him. If he does not agree to a pay cut, then no team would trade for him. He's probably not going to agree to a pay cut in order to get traded. He can just force the Cowboys to cut him and then go to the team of his choice and possibly get more money than he would by taking a pay cut.

Thanks Walker, I am thinking Ware might be able to cut a better deal with Dallas to trade him now if he was getting nervous about them waiting long enough that it would hurt his income potential. Everyone wins in this scenario if in fact Dallas is lukewarm about keeping him anyhow.

coult44

Reaction score
Mad Dogs Adam Shine leading off right now with news on Ware. Said he wants to be cut by 4:00 today...