Andy Dalton Vs Tony Romo

perrykemp

Reaction score
Since we are going back 20 years lets go with the patriots ;) okay ? I think we should model off them now .

Patriots in the AFC. Packers in the NFC.

My caution will modeling a team's approach like the Patriots is I'd like to see the Patriots go through a Head Coach / QB transition like Green Bay has before I'm willing to say anybody should emulate them. I mean yeah -- everybody should try to emulate the Patriots by hiring the next Bill Beliceck and draft Tom Brady right?

The Packers have transitioned from Ron Wolf to Ted Thompson, from Mike Holmgren to Mike McCarthy, and from Brett Favre to Aaron Rogers while the whole timing maintaining a somewhat consistent approach to building a team. In other words they have an organizational philosophy that been using for 20 years that's still working for them and usually is good enough to get them into the playoffs.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
No, but winners are made by last minute drives. Winning in spite of the circumstances is how you turn your reputation around.

Winners are made by winning, period. Silly irrational views on Tony Romo (other quarterbacks are ignored for the most part) are made by SOME (wins are ignored) last minute drives.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
so we cant model to be like Pats because they are in AFC ? I dont know though im just not impressed enough to model the cowboys with the packers ... what should we do ? i dont want to be 1 and done 3 years in a row NOOOOOOO!!!!! i dont know whats worse 8-8 3 years in a row or 3 wild card one and done !

perrykemp

Reaction score
so we cant model to be like Pats because they are in AFC ? I dont know though im just not impressed enough to model the cowboys with the packers ... what should we do ? i dont want to be 1 and done 3 years in a row NOOOOOOO!!!!! i dont know whats worse 8-8 3 years in a row or 3 wild card one and done !

Sure you can model the Cowboys after the Patriots if you wish but it requires a few key elements:

Steps required to model your franchise like the New England Patriots

Step #1

Find yourself possibly the best coach in the history of the NFL. That's what the Patriots have.

Step #2

Find yourself a HOF QB who would be considered by most to be one of the top 3-4 QBs in the history of the NFL. That's what the Patriots have.

Once have you that you can start modeling the Cowboys on this Patriots club that has been amazing over the past 13 years.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Sure you can model the Cowboys after the Patriots if you wish.

Steps required to model your franchise like the New England Patriots

Step #1

Find yourself possibly the best coach in the history of the NFL. That's what the Patriots have.

Step #2

Find yourself a HOF QB who would be considered by most to be one of the top 3-4 QBs in the history of the NFL. That's what the Patriots have.

Once have you that you can start modeling the Cowboys on this Patriots club that has been amazing over the past 13 years.

Wait .... Thats only two pieces what about the rest ? Surely two pieces alone does'nt equal success does it ? I thought they're 53 on a team with several other coaches ?

perrykemp

Reaction score
Wait .... Thats only two pieces what about the rest ? Surely two pieces alone does'nt equal success does it ? I thought they're 53 on a team with several other coaches ?

Yes.

Best coach ever plus one of the best QBs ever, alone, pretty much guarantees you a playoff run every year in this age of league mandated parity, salary cap, and player movement.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I'd take 3 wild card losses in a row if it followed a SB Championship.

That wasnt the question .... Do i really want to model our team with a team i actually think we are better than or very close to ? NOPE!

The giants won 2 in past 6 years lets model after them right ? Lets go find a qb like ELI

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Yes.

Best coach ever plus one of the best QBs ever, alone, pretty much guarantees you a playoff run every year in this age of league mandated parity, salary cap, and player movement.

So your definition of success is not mine . They have had Brady and Bill the last several years and have looked very average in the playoffs. Why ? because of an average defense and Hardly any running game. When the Patriots were actually WINNING superbowls they had A GOOD run game And great defense . Players such as MGginest , Bruschi , Ted Johnson , Seymor , Ty law , Milloy and that Great OL , With great Special Teams ( Troy Brown , Larry Izzo , Vinetari ). You need more than just a great qb and great coach . My definition of success is actually winning the superbowl not just making the playoffs. In order to win it you need a solid defense , great coaching , and solid run game. A superbowl Victory is a team effort not on a QB or coach alone.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Rodgers has made the playoffs the 5 seasons in row despite most years having a poor running game, despite being the most sacked QB in the league, despite generally having pretty bad defenses. Heck, they even went 15-1 despite having the 2nd rated defense in the history of the NFL.

Romo has had many of the same issues (poor line, no running game, bad defenses) and has missed the playoffs the past 4 seasons.

I'm just not a big fan on 'comparing Romo and Rodgers' line of argument.
Pass Rating (avg. rank since 2009)
Rodgers 3rd
GB defense 9th

Romo 7th
Dal defense 25th

Rodgers is better than Romo, but Rodgers' defenses have been considerably better than Romo's.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Pass Rating (avg. rank since 2009)
Rodgers 3rd
GB defense 9th

Romo 7th
Dal defense 25th

Rodgers is better than Romo, but Rodgers' defenses have been considerably better than Romo's.

Good point on passing rating. I am a believe in the QB rating differential being the 'Mother of All NFL Stats' for predicting NFL winners.

Packers have generally had good corners in the Rodgers era including Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, etc whereas the Cowboys have struggled mightily at the corner position.

Interesting point re: those Packers corners I just listed --- despite the Packers being known as a 'build though the draft team -- not a single one of those guys was actually drafted by Green Bay.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
Basically.

Unfortunately, the problem exists with football observers at all levels of the sport--so the media covering the NFL and Dallas get a little too much of the blame. Football is a 60-minute sport. Wins or losses are an accumulation of how well players execute on offense, defense and specials and coaches making the best in-game decisions for four quarters.

Even with a porous defense, Dallas should have made the playoffs this season with a record greater than 8-8. Subtract running back fumbles, mental error by an offensive lineman and a poor reception attempt by a (yes) great receiving tight end and the Kansas City, Detroit and second Philadelphia game losses were highly probable wins by themselves.

Interceptions and incompletions, due to a poor pass, are the quarterback's fault. That's bad execution. Other examples of bad execution are fumbles, totally unnecessary pickled brain penalties and allowing a pass to go through your hands to the guy defending you.

Bad execution should be placed at the feet of the guys responsible for not doing their jobs. Instead, final game results do not factor bad play performed by everybody on the field for some. It's lumped on the quarterback.

That's lazy game evaluation and interpretation. This season's team deserved a lot of fingerpointing.

Not just this year..

but for about the last 6 years..they have been grossly underachieving.

And I place the blame on ourselves.

I for one am guilty as can be for wanting to think this team was anywhere near a good team.

They aren't.. Haven't been for many years.

But each year..I buy the 'changes' each year are going to reverse the losing.

But it doesn't.

So I'm not going to do that..

..not going to drink the Cowboy Kool-aid anymore.

But that's just me.

I've been a paying fan of season tickets since '65.

I've seen and heard it all.

Tire of hearing it and never seeing it..

..any real improvement.

So shoot me...haha..

jnday

Reaction score
oh yes i do feel that way. I feel that way about almost the whole organization except #50, #88, #77,#72 and #9. This is a piss poor roster and our ignorant fans over hype our average talent yearly. What i do know is that Troy Aikman Won 3 superbowl titles while never throwing for 4000 yards and never even throwing for more than 25 TD'S. How did Aikman win so many superbowls with those average stats ? Well he had a great defense that would dominate when it counted in the 4th quarter. He had a tremendous OL that protected him ( and thank goodness they did ) because Aikman couldnt do half the things Romo can athletically . He had the greatest RB to ever live. Do you realize how much pressure EMMITT took off the whole offense?He was a rock you could always depend on. In the biggest games it wasn't Aikman who shinned it WAS EMMITT. And last but not least something Romo has never had great coaching. Aikman had Jimmy and Norv Turner. Romo can absolutely make all the throws Troy could.Until we have some legit coaching , a great OL, and a solid defense .... i feel all of you should just zip it.

Romo has a long ways to go to be the QB that Troy was .

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
I hope you are not submitting that as your summary for the game. Maybe that was how a drunk friend remembered it. Any credibility you had left went out the window.

Sure.

I forgot.

..you are the Alpha poster here?

I lost all my credibility?

Right.

wileedog

Reaction score
If Romo threw for 65% and 360 yards I wouldn't complain.

Bulldung. Bull flipping dung. If Romo played the exact game Orton did, and threw 2 INTs, and the interception on the last drive to lose the game, the Romo hate squad would have experienced the Rapture. And then spent weeks talking about his other stats didn't matter.

Instead Orton did it and the offense was "refreshingly better."

wileedog

Reaction score
The sad reality is that, as I mentioned before, Rodgers has won a Super Bowl. He's proven that he can get it done when it counts.

1 out of 5 times when he has an elite defense.

Define again for me "when it counts?"

wileedog

Reaction score
Romo has a long ways to go to be the QB that Troy was .

Troy would have been carried out in a body bag behind some of the lines Romo has had.

This is not to say Romo > Troy by any means, but Aikman would be the first to tell you having one of the best OLs in league history and the best RB in league history was more than a little factor in his success.