Is Dak a so-called bus driver?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hawkeye0202, Apr 16, 2019.

1. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

13,159 Messages
    21,778 Likes Received
    What's wrong with driving the bus? Executing the offense?

Best bus driver comment ever was after Simms had called Romo a bus driver and Parcells responded "Phil Simms had some Ralph Kramden in him too". This was the character Jackie Gleason played in The Honeymooners, a city bus driver.

What successful QB isn't part or mostly bus driver. Starr, Bradshaw, Staubach, Aikman, Montana and Brady all played the part of the driver of the bus getting the ball into their playmakers' hands. That's their job, execute the play as called and some can improvise beyond that but they are being asked to drive the bus.

Prescott brings a little more because he can create plays with his legs but he can do fine as a bus driver as long as he's got a good dispatcher designing his routes.

817Gill and Hawkeye0202 like this.
  2. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

12,700 Messages
    6,096 Likes Received
    yea, probably, i thougt it was Daks first year, my apologizes.

3. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

11,362 Messages
    15,003 Likes Received
    Forget Wince, stats from part-time QB's don't count.

4. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

2,430 Messages
    1,955 Likes Received
    Ok, then just compare against the mediocre-to-bottom tier QBs I listed.

Fastpitch Dad likes this.
  5. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

38,317 Messages
    15,851 Likes Received
    Is he a bus driver? So far, yes.
    He's a great leader and is better than he appears because of his ability to run the ball.
    But he is woefully inaccurate, based on the open receivers he misses and his hesitancy in the pocket.
    If we had a better quarterback, we're in the NFC Championship Game. We had receivers running wide open in that game, but Dak failed to connect.
    But I'll give him grace. He's still learning. The first year was too easy for him. Second year was a reality check. Third year he was average.
    Fourth year is the "Money year". No more excuses.

wrongway likes this.
  6. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

10,571 Messages
    7,925 Likes Received
    Aikman averaged less than 200 yards per game for his career. Bus driver?

7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

23,784 Messages
    12,363 Likes Received
    Different era, he certainly wouldnt now when all they do is pass. And another thing Aikman could strike the head of a match at 40 yards, Dak not so much.

8. WillieBeamen

WillieBeamen BoysfanfromNY

5,726 Messages
    14,008 Likes Received
    Once again, a Dak stan dissing a legend to make boy wonder look better.

Troy was MVP of a Super Bowl and had numerous top 5 years in passer rating. Just stop please

wrongway likes this.
  9. Brax

Brax Well-Known Member

1,081 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    yes

any other answer at this point isn't reality.

Fastpitch Dad and WillieBeamen like this.
  10. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

22,231 Messages
    13,660 Likes Received
    Peyton Manning was the ultimate bus driver. Trent Dilfer has this reputation of being one but that’s not bus driving to me.

11. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

6,092 Messages
    9,307 Likes Received
    I agree but Omerv is right also.....setting QB standard solely on passing yards is misguided.

817Gill likes this.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

55,471 Messages
    54,179 Likes Received
    He’s a good QB with fantastic intangibles. He’s not great. He’ll get better because of the intangibles thing. We should take QB off the board as a thing to worry about and focus on putting a team around him. He’s better than several QBs who have won recent Superbowls already.

817Gill, Screw The Hall and jazzcat22 like this.
  13. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

34,450 Messages
    31,235 Likes Received
    Troy Aikman averaged around 198 YPG. How did that work out for him? :D
    That Joe Montana dude, a little over 200.

817Gill likes this.
  14. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

2,430 Messages
    1,955 Likes Received
    Peyton Manning was the least bus driving QB in the history of the national football league. Maybe Marino slightly outshines him. The major knock everyone has on Peyton is if he drove the bus even just a little bit he probably would have won more.

I couldn’t fathom how you came to that conclusion.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  15. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

10,571 Messages
    7,925 Likes Received
    I didn't say it was 100% apples to apples, but the truth is Aikman's passing stats were very mundane for his time. And let's not act as if passing wasn't prolific in Aikman's day. Favre, Marino, Elway and others came out of that era. Aikman also never had a 20 TD season, which other top passers of his day, and even average passers, did routinely.

I don't say any of this to belittle Aikman. If you will read another of my posts 15 or 20 minutes ago you will see that I don't rely solely on stats to measure a QB, and or a QB's status as a bus driver or not. I have a great deal of respect for Aikman. My point is simply that judging solely on yardage stats isn't a fair standard.

817Gill likes this.
  16. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

17,507 Messages
    10,189 Likes Received
    One of those 2 story busses in London. Lol

17. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

4,312 Messages
    1,721 Likes Received
    Like or not, right or wrong, qbs get wins and losses attached to their name's. You can find multiple site's who keep up with wins and losses for qbs. You can't find ONE that keeps up with a DT wins and losses or any other position. You hear qb X had X amount of wins, or X amount wins vs winning team's and many other comments from media, analyst and even coaches and gms. But you won't ever hear that about any other position. I know it's destroys your narrative with Dak but it is what it is.

18. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

6,092 Messages
    9,307 Likes Received
    Let me ask you this.......does Aikman win three Super Bowls WITHOUT Emmitt Smith and/or Michael Irvin?

817Gill likes this.
  19. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

5,411 Messages
    5,974 Likes Received
    Not only is Dak a bus driver, he may be the preeminent bus driver in the league. Since he came in the league only Trubisky and Mariota are in the conversation with Dak in being in the bottom of the league of attempts per game.

20. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

17,507 Messages
    10,189 Likes Received
    Well said. Obviously Troy needed Elite supporting cast . And look what he did with it.

Merideth, Morton and White had a pretty good supporting cast going to championship appearances but only one QB elevated us to a championship.

I think the question for Dak is ; how much elite surrounding support does he need to elevate us to the next level?

Not directed at you but your thought spurred mine.

RS12 likes this.