Question for those that wanted Parcells gone

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
superpunk;1348485 said:
Oh, he's more than capable.

What he isn't capable of, is building and improving a team or beating division opponents.

he might be with more talent...didnt exactly coach very good teams in Washington or Oakland

and contrary to popular takes here, Norv wasnt 3-13 or 4-12 every yr in Washington

David

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
superpunk;1348485 said:
Oh, he's more than capable.

What he isn't capable of, is building and improving a team or beating division opponents.

Honestly...you don't know what he is capable of...until he proves it.

Each situation is different for each coach.

Example: NY LOST it's collective mind when Steinbrenner hired Joe Torre...rightfully so. His track record STUNK.

Joe Torre is now a first ballot HOF manager.

I'm not saying, by any stretch, that I'm thrilled with Norv Turner.

But if he is hired, I'll wait to pass judgment.

superpunk

Reaction score
Juke99;1348494 said:

Example: NY LOST it's collective mind when Steinbrenner hired Joe Torre...rightfully so. His track record STUNK.

You can paint a pretty good picture from 9 years of coaching experience - and I can say now, before he is hired, that if this is what we were planning for should Parcells retire, that a new plan is needed.

I'm not a huge fan of moving backwards. That's what Norv's track record is, and that's what he represents. I can handle anyone else (within reason). Hiring Norv is begging to fail. There is no way to rationalize the hire except "Maybe he'll be better here, where he doesn't have to draft Heath Shuler and Michael Westbrook, and he can just coach!"

I'm giddy. :rolleyes:

superpunk

Reaction score
dbair1967;1348493 said:
he might be with more talent...didnt exactly coach very good teams in Washington or Oakland

and contrary to popular takes here, Norv wasnt 3-13 or 4-12 every yr in Washington

David

He didn't make bad teams better, and he didn't make teams with decent talent that great either. There's no track record of great Norval coaching moves. he doesn't have an eye for talent, and he isn't a good gameday coach. There is positively zero upside. No sane person can possibly say "Yes! This is what I was waiting for! Thank goodness Parcells stepped aside!"

If they can, they're just deluding themselves, and comforting themselves with the fact that a jersey-guy is no longer coaching our favorite team. I can't wait to hear Norv's stories about how Michael Westbrook destroyed Stephen Davis and he handled that situation with precise discipline. Oh wait.....

Instead of a Jersey guy, we're looking at a Washington guy. And one that was a failure, no less.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm just happy for a change.

Didn't care for him, if he had stayed, as long as he changed some game day stuff, I wouldn't have mind. But he came in 1st year, had his opportunity to tear the "D" down and build a 3-4 but he waited until year 3 to do it.

Bottom line, he was in a hurry to win, and consequently, he got burned out.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
superpunk;1348496 said:
You can paint a pretty good picture from 9 years of coaching experience - and I can say now, before he is hired, that if this is what we were planning for should Parcells retire, that a new plan is needed.

I'm not a huge fan of moving backwards. That's what Norv's track record is, and that's what he represents. I can handle anyone else (within reason). Hiring Norv is begging to fail. There is no way to rationalize the hire except "Maybe he'll be better here, where he doesn't have to draft Heath Shuler and Michael Westbrook, and he can just coach!"

I'm giddy. :rolleyes:

Benefit of the doubt, beyond any measure he deserved, was given to Parcells because of his past performance.

Now, the same thinking is being applied to Norv Turner because of his past performance.

So I will compliment your consistency.

;)

superpunk

Reaction score
Clove;1348507 said:
I'm just happy for a change.

Didn't care for him, if he had stayed, as long as he changed some game day stuff, I wouldn't have mind. But he came in 1st year, had his opportunity to tear the "D" down and build a 3-4 but he waited until year 3 to do it.

Bottom line, he was in a hurry to win, and consequently, he got burned out.

That si a pretty good summary. Waiting to rebuild that defense was the worst thing for us. He held himself back, honestly, by doing such a fantastic job in 2003. But at least now we have a direction for the team. I can't bear to see Jerry ruin that now.

superpunk

Reaction score
Juke99;1348509 said:
Benefit of the doubt, beyond any measure he deserved, was given to Parcells because of his past performance.

Now, the same thinking is being applied to Norv Turner because of his past performance.

So I will compliment your consistency.

Parcells improved our team, whether it's believed or not. He did what he's done elsewhere, even if it didn't get reflected in the final record. We're set up pretty nice for the future. I got most of what I expected out of Parcells.

I just fear that I'll get most of what I expect from Norv, too.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
superpunk;1348516 said:
Parcells improved our team, whether it's believed or not. He did what he's done elsewhere, even if it didn't get reflected in the final record. We're set up pretty nice for the future. I got most of what I expected out of Parcells.

I just fear that I'll get most of what I expect from Norv, too.

Well then you're an "underexpector" :D

You're telling me that when Parcells was signed, you expected a .500 record, no playoff wins, no first place finishes, December collapses every time the team was in contention, and all of this in four years?

Uh...someone's credibility just took a hit. ;)

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
superpunk;1348510 said:
That si a pretty good summary. Waiting to rebuild that defense was the worst thing for us. He held himself back, honestly, by doing such a fantastic job in 2003. But at least now we have a direction for the team. I can't bear to see Jerry ruin that now.
We all need to cross our fingers and hope that Jones has changed his ways. It really doesn't appear that way at the moment, but I'll wait to see how everything unfolds before I bring down the wrath on Jones.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Juke99;1348523 said:

You're telling me that when Parcells was signed, you expected a .500 record, no playoff wins, no first place finishes, December collapses every time the team was in contention, and all of this in four years?

how is ripping a mildly successful coach, validating Norval's failure everywhere he's coached? but hey, if he doesn't get your expectations up like Parcells' arrival did then, HOORAY!

superpunk

Reaction score
Juke99;1348523 said:

I expected you to be able to read. Color me "underexpected."

I expected him to build a team, draft young talent, give direction, discipline to a team devoid of talent, direction, or discipline. I expected more out of the final record, which is why I said as much in my last post, but you glossed over that. But I got "MOST of what I expected out of Parcells." (caps and quotes used so it doesn't get missed this time.)

JPM

Reaction score
Juke99;1348494 said:

Torre also benefited from players like Jeter and Rivera, but I watch some of his moves the last couple of years and I scratch my head. I especially love the way he kills his relief pitchers year after year. He is really lucky/blessed Mo has a rubber arm.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
superpunk;1348532 said:
I expected you to be able to read. Color me "underexpected."

I expected him to build a team, draft young talent, give direction, discipline to a team devoid of talent, direction, or discipline. I expected more out of the final record, which is why I said as much in my last post, but you glossed over that. But I got "MOST of what I expected out of Parcells." (caps and quotes used so it doesn't get missed this time.)

And I'll repeat myself without the caps...

I prefer italics.

:)

It's a results driven business. What I stated above are the results.

And I am not budging from that perspective.

All this Parcells mumbo jumbo that he stated about "No matter what you've done in the past, sooner or later you have to prove you can still get the job done.." and "You are what your record says you are. There's no sugar coating that"

And meanwhile, those who support him go against the very measures of success he established for all those around him.

Next subject please.

I love Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream.

What's your favorite flavor?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
JPM;1348547 said:
Torre also benefited from players like Jeter and Rivera, but I watch some of his moves the last couple of years and I scratch my head. I especially love the way he kills his relief pitchers year after year. He is really lucky/blessed Mo has a rubber arm.

Exactly my point.

Each time period spent with a team is different.

Torre has the circumstances of Jeter and Rivera.

He didn't have that when he coached the Mets.

Hey...don't get me wrong...I am NOT happy about the possibility of Norv Turner being here.

My original statement was that I DON'T root against the team to prove that I'm "right"

That really is the main point of what I'm trying to say here.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1347373 said:
Are you still glad he retired given who our next HC might be?

Absolutely. Does not matter, Turner, or Phillips is better then old, stubborn, no adjusting Parcells.

Thank god Parcells is gone, now to work on el dorado.

superpunk

Reaction score
Juke99;1348549 said:
And I'll repeat myself without the caps...

I prefer italics.

:)

It's a results driven business. What I stated above are the results.

And I am not budging from that perspective.

All this Parcells mumbo jumbo that he stated about "No matter what you've done in the past, sooner or later you have to prove you can still get the job done.." and "You are what your record says you are. There's no sugar coating that"

And meanwhile, those who support him go against the very measures of success he established for all those around him.

Next subject please.

I love Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream.

What's your favorite flavor?

Ah, the favorite crutch of the anti-Parcells crowd - using blurbs of his own quotes to damn him. When did I say I was satisfied with his record? When did I even imply that? The answer? I never did, so you can drop that ridiculous line of thinking and debating. You're not addressing anything. I wish the record had been better, hence the MOST that appeared prominently in my statement that I got MOST of what I expected out of Parcells. (Hint: MOST = Not all.)

I hope I get none of what I expect out of Norv Turner, should he be hired.