Where do you stand on Garrett and why?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Ranching, May 17, 2019.

1. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

16,308 Messages
    13,998 Likes Received
    You must be a relatively new cowboys fan so you probably don't know that after the regular season is over the best teams get into something called 'the playoffs' then go to something called 'conference championship games' and the winners play in something known as 'the super bowl'

As an older fan of this team, I assure you that these are not just legends or imaginary things but I have personally seen the cowboys play in these games and actually win

They are real

That is the "more" real Cowboy fans want

Hennessy_King likes this.
  2. Blackrain

Blackrain Well-Known Member

1,600 Messages
    2,135 Likes Received
    It really dosent matter where I stand or any of us fans for that matter . Jerry stands in Garretts corner and will continue to do so because Garrett makes Jerry feel very comfortable.

He never challenges Jerrys authority and wins just enough to keep Jerry thinking we are right on the doorstep . Garrett dose some very good things for this team they just don't happen on game day. That's why IMO Garrett should be promoted to Assistant GM and a coach hired that could think on his feet enough in the moment to out coach the guy across from him once in a while .

Since this has very little chance of happening I view Garretts game day coaching as another one of the things in Jerrys Dysfunctional world that we have to work around as fans of the team . The easiest thing is to recognize this and alter your expectations accordingly .

In short pray for BIG Fred to come back strong our oline to be top 5 and Zeke to get 5yrds a crack . This makes Garrett look like COTY but we will still lose in the playoffs when everybody is good . This is the best we can hope for with Garrett as HC but hey it sure beats the heck out the NFL version of purgatory 8-8

3. Dre11

Dre11 Well-Known Member

5,857 Messages
    3,402 Likes Received
    What are you talking about. We're talking about the year JG was interim coach.

4. Dre11

Dre11 Well-Known Member

5,857 Messages
    3,402 Likes Received
    But yet he went 31-13 Over the last 3 SEASONS. Maybe those 31 times games, those coaches feared. Apparently he outcoach someone 31 times over the last 3 SEASONS...lol

5. Dre11

Dre11 Well-Known Member

5,857 Messages
    3,402 Likes Received
    So you just regard the 12-4,13-3, 10-6,9-7 records.
    Yet quick to point out 8-8 . Priceless

6. Dre11

Dre11 Well-Known Member

5,857 Messages
    3,402 Likes Received
    They were just as bad with Alex all year. They couldn't score points all year , even with Alex. It was so bad here, that many redskins fans thought Colt would do better. That lead was hollow.

7. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

55,660 Messages
    54,536 Likes Received
    8-8 with some comparatively weak teams isn’t exactly a knock, anyway.

Point-of-the-Star likes this.
  8. Fire407

Fire407 Well-Known Member

342 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    How do you another coach wouldn't have gone 32-12 or 33-11 over the same period with the talent on the roster? The record doesn't mean Garrett was getting the most out of the team--especially with playoff wins.

9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

30,550 Messages
    20,581 Likes Received
    I would like to improve on him. I think he is a lot better than people give him credit for considering the 9 pro bowlers he has drafted and developed and of course most of the homegrown team.

He is not innovative or intuitive when it comes to game planning and calling.

A guy like Sean Payton becomes available in a year or two then I'm completely on board. This notion that we can easily do better is folly.

Idgit likes this.
  10. csirl

csirl Well-Known Member

1,729 Messages
    1,583 Likes Received
    I like Garrett as a person. I think he's a good guy.

However, I think we need a coaching change. The team is young and talented. It should be challenging for the SB. But the coaching is stale.

JayFord likes this.
  11. Pompey-Cowboy

Pompey-Cowboy Well-Known Member

545 Messages
    872 Likes Received
    Has anyone said "his throat"? I couldn't be bothered to read 14 pages.

Personally I have no problem with him but acknowledge that he is only just above average.

12. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

11,043 Messages
    8,363 Likes Received
    You didn’t start the thread ... unless you are the same guy as Ranching but using a second ID.

13. Scotman

Scotman Well-Known Member

1,921 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    We have a good team and a lot of talent and that translates into wins.

I will happily stand corrected if you can point to any article, any video, any online source that said our coach was better than...or gives us the edge over... ANY other head coach.

14. JMech

JMech Active Member

198 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    He should have been gone years ago. He is not a difference maker as a coach.

I pose one question.......When Jerry first signed him as HC, supposedly Baltimore wanted to sign him. Had Baltimore been successful in landing him as coach, tell me if you seriously believe he would have won a SB with that team? I for one do not. Baltimore can count their blessings and send Jerry photos of their SBs.

Harbaugh>>>>>RHG

15. Point-of-the-Star

Point-of-the-Star Well-Known Member

752 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    I'm all in Ok with getting a new HC. I don't think Garrett will lead us to the promised land although he can get us in position to start the journey (good enough regular season coach). In the playoffs the coaching needs to be exceptional and this includes game planning and in game strategies).

My whole problem with getting a new HC is the guy who makes that decision ... his track record can suck pretty badly in this department. (I'm thinking of the Switzer and Campos hires).

16. ColoCowboy

ColoCowboy Well-Known Member

1,238 Messages
    2,618 Likes Received
    Personally, I would have replaced him 3-4 years ago. I base my comment on two observations: first and foremost, it is rare that I feel he out-coaches the opposition. More often than, it seems as as though his approach is "we have a game plan and we're going to stick to it regardless what the opposition does". This seems particularly apparent with half-time adjustments.

Second, for the overall level of talent that the Cowboy's have had during JG's tenure, I have felt he has generally under-delivered.

Admittedly, the past 3 years have been an improvement. Nonetheless, I would still like to see him gone.

17. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

14,251 Messages
    11,068 Likes Received
    The situation with Garrett will work itself out. There is a reason he has not received an extension by the Jones family. They want to see how this 2019 season pans out first. I believe there is a plan in place to replace him if he does not deliver us at least an NFC championship.

18. eromeopolk

eromeopolk Well-Known Member

769 Messages
    868 Likes Received
    Considering Jason Garrett was a player under Jimmy Johnson, Jim Fassel (who groomed Sean Payton to an OC), Sean Payton (OC during his time with Giants), Jon Gruden, coached under Nick Saban, and his father was a recognized scout that spent +16 years with the Dallas Cowboys, Jason Garrett is a total disappointment as a HC and OC.

Jason Garrett grew up with access to Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, Chan Gailey, and Bill Parcells as Cowboys Head Coaches. Undoubtedly he was not a student of the game.

He was not as advertised. He did not listen to Jimmy Johnson's advice to have both offensive and defensive coordinators (see Jerry Jones "walk around Head Coach" comments). Jerry Jones allowed Garrett to learn on the job to be a coordinator, head coach, and Garrett failed at both. Garrett rode on the coat tails of others coaches like Ray Sherman, Tony Sparano as OC, Todd Bowles, Sean Payton, and sabotaged Son of a Bum as HC.

The Dallas Cowboys Head Coaching bar has been lowered for Garrett to succeed. Now Cowboy fans just want to make the playoffs vs. winning Super Bowls.

Finally, he has nothing to add in personnel development (like Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells) or coaching innovation (like Tom Landry) to remain as Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

RGV_C_Los and Ranching like this.
  19. Dre11

Dre11 Well-Known Member

5,857 Messages
    3,402 Likes Received
    They were beat, it wasn't quit, they won 3 straight after tha
    I don't know, but they didn't he did.

20. Dre11

Dre11 Well-Known Member

5,857 Messages
    3,402 Likes Received
    Name 1 coach that win with no talent...lol
    I believe players win games, but none of you claim the talent wins for any other coach. But when it comes to JG, when we win its someone else, when we lose it JG, he gets all blame and none of the credit....lol how does that happen